02-27-2017, 10:05 PM
User Info
When it comes to scuttles, mugs or bowls, where should a total and complete beginner start?

0 67
 02-27-2017, 10:46 PM
User Info
I would suggest keeping it as simple as possible when you start, a soft soap, picked up on a boar brush and a warmed shaving bowl to get lather working should be enough to keep you busy in the beginning.

Scuttles are very nice and do the job but are in fact just a luxury, not a necessity. Better to spend more time concentrating on getting your face prepared and getting the lather worked into the facial hair.

0 38
 02-28-2017, 04:13 AM
User Info
You could start by face lathering and do without the mug, bowl or scuttle.   However, if you want one of those I suggest a simple bowl.  It doesn't have to be made exclusively for shaving.  What's important is that it be large enough to give you the room to whip up the lather.  I find mugs to be, generally,  too deep and not wide enough to work optimally.

41 5,077
 02-28-2017, 04:19 AM
User Info
do you live in a cold climate? cold house? like warm lather? scuttle.

34 852
 02-28-2017, 10:47 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(02-28-2017, 04:13 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I find mugs to be, generally, too deep and not wide enough to work optimally.

Signs011

If the mug is deep enough for a satisfying cuppa joe, then — almost certainly — one is going to be banging his knuckles and the handle of the brush against the sides when mixing the soap with the water. Two and a half inches, or six centimeters, is about the maximum depth for a good lather prep.

0 1,005
 03-01-2017, 05:48 AM
User Info
I would start with face or hand lathering.  Both work very well for me.

2 155
 03-01-2017, 09:17 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Start with a cereal bowl from your cupboard. If you want to experience a scuttle, fill your bathroom sink with a few inches of water and float the cereal bowl in the water, it will warm your lather like a scuttle. Play with this and decide for yourself what you like best.

4 484
 03-01-2017, 09:30 AM
User Info
I would also suggest face lathering but if you want to start with a mug you can use any mugs, I think I got one from Target which looks wide and not too deep.  Once I started face lathering I only use the mug to soap my brushes.

15 450
 03-01-2017, 10:01 AM
  • Quando
  • A Diplomatic Immunity Zone
User Info
Easy, peasy, Lemon-Squeezy

First, decide whether or not you would like a handle.

Would you like a handle?  If no, get a bowl.  If so, the bowl is out. 

Assuming the bowl is out, let us continue:  

Would like the soap to be warmed, before being loaded to the brush?  If so, you want a scuttle.  

If you would rather heat the lather, after loading the soap, you want a kettle, what is referred to as a shaving kettle. Esty has some nice hand-made ones. 

Kettles, and, scuttles, both have chambers for water to heat up the soap/lather.  The scuttle is used to hold the soap over the chamber, and, heat up that way, before lathering.  The kettle heats up the inside part of where you make the lather.  

If you decide that no heat should be added to your lather, then, you want a shaving mug.  

Regardless of your decision, make sure you go with one that has ridges, bumps, or, some other kind of uneveness on the bottom, and/or, sides.  This adds resistance to the brush, which helps to build a richer, thicker lather.  

Happy shopping.

1 412
 03-01-2017, 06:32 PM
User Info
(02-28-2017, 10:47 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(02-28-2017, 04:13 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I find mugs to be, generally, too deep and not wide enough to work optimally.

Signs011

If the mug is deep enough for a satisfying cuppa joe, then — almost certainly — one is going to be banging his knuckles and the handle of the brush against the sides when mixing the soap with the water.  Two and a half inches, or six centimeters, is about the maximum depth for a good lather prep.

I think that a depth of 2 and a half inches and a diameter of four and a half inches are about optimal for a bowl.

41 5,077
 03-01-2017, 07:51 PM
User Info
Are you going to use soap or cream?  I am a fan of starting with soaps to learn good technique. Please no one hit me over the head here but learning to make a good lather from a cake of soap is a great place for a new shaver to start. I agree there is a technique to cream but it is like driving a standard as compared to driving an automatic.  I suggest starting with a cake of soap and a mug. This seems more traditional to me. Maybe pick up a short wide mug like the old spice mugs.  Put the soap cake in there and away you go. I personally like to face lather with soaps and creams.

1 143
 03-02-2017, 10:11 PM
User Info
I may try to begin with a bowl from my cuppboard, just to get started. I also may start out with both some cream and soap. Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

0 67
 03-02-2017, 10:25 PM
User Info
(03-02-2017, 10:11 PM)punchy Wrote: I may try to begin with a bowl from my cuppboard, just to get started. I also may start out with both some cream and soap. Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

Check out dirty bird pottery. Awesone shave cups and scuttles.

Also walmart sells a VDH mug brush and soap set. That will get you off the ground in a hurry.

1 143
 03-03-2017, 12:33 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(03-02-2017, 10:11 PM)punchy Wrote: I may try to begin with a bowl from my cuppboard, just to get started. I also may start out with both some cream and soap. Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

These days I am very happy with a Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle that I acquired in a both-sides-benefitted trade with another Nooker.  That aside, on aesthetics alone, I admit to having drooled over images of the “oil spot” glazed mugs that are produced by artisan potter Nicole Pangas, who has a presence on Etsy.com.  The one below, which has a handle angled for a man who holds the mug in his left hand while whipping up lather with the brush in his right hand, was called “Bronze Warrior.”

[Image: eqr2Nzh.jpg]

0 1,005
 03-03-2017, 12:40 PM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 12:33 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:

These days I am very happy with a Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle that I acquired in a both-sides-benefitted trade with another Nooker.  That aside, on aesthetics alone, I admit to having drooled over images of the “oil spot” glazed mugs that are produced by artisan potter Nicole Pangas, who has a presence on Etsy.com.  The one below, which has a handle angled for a man who holds the mug in his left hand while whipping up lather with the brush in his right hand, was called “Bronze Warrior.”

That G12 is stunning!

73 3,943
 03-04-2017, 12:21 PM
User Info
That's a very nice looking G12 bowl/scuttle you have there.

0 67
 03-04-2017, 04:39 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(03-03-2017, 12:40 PM)TexBilly Wrote: That G12 is stunning!

(03-04-2017, 12:21 PM)punchy Wrote: That's a very nice looking G12 bowl/scuttle you have there.

Actually, my Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle is white, and looks like a scuttle, not a mug.
The image that I posted was of a mug created by Nicole Pangas, an artisan potter who sells her wares both through her own website and through Etsy.

I agree that Nicole Pangas’s oil-spot glaze, combined with her eye for proportion, resulted in a stunning creation. Other views of it may still be visible on her Etsy shop: search for “Bronze Warrior.”

0 1,005
 03-05-2017, 10:51 AM
  • Quando
User Info
I call this a scuttle [Image: SHPVSCUTT-01.jpg] 

And, this, a mug, or kettle, because of its shape[Image: SHAV0003.jpg]

1 412
 03-05-2017, 10:53 AM
  • Quando
User Info
(03-05-2017, 10:51 AM)Quando Wrote: I call this a scuttle [Image: SHPVSCUTT-01.jpg] 

And, this, a mug, or kettle, because of its shape[Image: SHAV0003.jpg]

Sad  

I fail at the internet.  

Also, I must wait 37 more seconds before posting.

1 412
 03-05-2017, 12:01 PM
User Info
Id start with a mug.  Its something you can store and soak your soap in.  Some soaps come with their own container, some dont.

0 28