03-05-2017, 01:12 PM
User Info
(03-02-2017, 10:25 PM)wchnu Wrote:
(03-02-2017, 10:11 PM)punchy Wrote: I may try to begin with a bowl from my cuppboard, just to get started. I also may start out with both some cream and soap. Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

Check out dirty bird pottery. Awesone shave cups and scuttles.

Also walmart sells a VDH mug brush and soap set. That will get you off the ground in a hurry.

Pottery is a really good suggestion. If you get the right bowl, it fits in the palm of your hand, and you don't even need a handle. I got one with an unglazed bottom on Amazon, and it makes working up a lather effortless, with either a soap or a cream. I also subscribe to the advice here to go with face lathering. It's not that one is better than the other, but face lathering is a bit more intuitive.
A tip about lathering in a bowl: you need to add water slowly, or the lather will fall apart. Creams are a little less touchy in this respect than soaps, but the advice to start with soap makes sense along the lines of the analogy to automatic versus manual transmissions. Learning the manual initially is probably easier than learning it after other habits have become ingrained.

0 31
 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-02-2017, 10:11 PM)punchy Wrote: Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

The standard suggestion is a Japanese suribachi, the Japanese equivalent of the mortar part of a mortar & pestle.  A suribachi has a textured interior, to keep the seeds, or whatever else is being crushed, from slipping out from under the pestle, and tends to be near perfect in size and shape for holding in one’s hand and for lather building:   the suribachi pictured below is 4⅛" in diameter and the working area inside the bowl is just under 2½" deep; this one even has a slightly turned lip at the top to keep your lather in the bowl, and a pouring spout that can serve as a brush rest: 
[Image: 7wnED2X.jpg]

You can locate the bowl pictured above on the Internet with a search on the phrase:  

Kokera Lipped Small Bowl with Japanese-style Mortar (Suribachi)

0 1,035
 03-06-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
That's a beautiful suribachi Mel.  Thanks for posting

13 1,085
 03-06-2017, 05:29 PM
User Info
Scuttle because sooner or later you are going to get one. And they're pretty to look at.

6 282
 03-07-2017, 05:50 AM
User Info
[Image: QmijaSZ.jpg]

This is my Dirty Bird pottery scuttle. It is the 1.5 Model that I have had for about 5 years or so.

1 143
 03-10-2017, 10:51 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I love my scuttle, and if you are dead certain you like/prefer bowl lathering over face lathering, I agree with the majority; get a scuttle.
But if you aren't certain, get a bowl first and try it for a while.
Bowls are cheaper most times, even the purpose made ones for shaving. But you can get a cereal bowl out of your cabinet and it will work just fine until you are sure you like the bowl.
MHO.

2 1,682
 03-14-2017, 05:59 PM
User Info
If you want or think you'd like warm lather, you'll want a scuttle.

Otherwise, I'd do as others have suggested and find something simple.  Could be something you've already got in a cupboard, a bowl or cup.  Personally I'd recommend ceramic over stainless steel.

Once you've figured out what size suits you, depth, width, maybe start looking at shaving-specific designs, ribbed or textured interiors, bowl only or bowl with handle.  Up to you.  Smile

0 377
 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
I picked up a plastic salsa bowl at Wal-Mart. It has 4 little feet on it, light weight, and was only like a dollar. Works great!

0 3
 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
Fine Lather Bowl is the perfect size, brush doesn't clank around the sides.

0 30
 05-02-2017, 10:12 AM
User Info
I tend to believe we are wet shaving enthusiast simple because we like buy things and have a enjoyable shave. In that order for me. I say get you a small moss scuttle and a Doug smith pottery lather bowl (etsy) and enjoy the luxury of being able to face lather and keep your brush warm or bowl lather and do the same. If you got the money take the plunge while learning. More fun that way

1 41