03-05-2017, 01:12 PM
  • AndrewA
  • Default User Title
  • Long Island. New York
User Info
(03-02-2017, 10:25 PM)wchnu Wrote:
(03-02-2017, 10:11 PM)punchy Wrote: I may try to begin with a bowl from my cuppboard, just to get started. I also may start out with both some cream and soap. Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

Check out dirty bird pottery. Awesone shave cups and scuttles.

Also walmart sells a VDH mug brush and soap set. That will get you off the ground in a hurry.

Pottery is a really good suggestion. If you get the right bowl, it fits in the palm of your hand, and you don't even need a handle. I got one with an unglazed bottom on Amazon, and it makes working up a lather effortless, with either a soap or a cream. I also subscribe to the advice here to go with face lathering. It's not that one is better than the other, but face lathering is a bit more intuitive.
A tip about lathering in a bowl: you need to add water slowly, or the lather will fall apart. Creams are a little less touchy in this respect than soaps, but the advice to start with soap makes sense along the lines of the analogy to automatic versus manual transmissions. Learning the manual initially is probably easier than learning it after other habits have become ingrained.

0 156
 03-06-2017, 04:17 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-02-2017, 10:11 PM)punchy Wrote: Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

The standard suggestion is a Japanese suribachi, the Japanese equivalent of the mortar part of a mortar & pestle.  A suribachi has a textured interior, to keep the seeds, or whatever else is being crushed, from slipping out from under the pestle, and tends to be near perfect in size and shape for holding in one’s hand and for lather building:   the suribachi pictured below is 4⅛" in diameter and the working area inside the bowl is just under 2½" deep; this one even has a slightly turned lip at the top to keep your lather in the bowl, and a pouring spout that can serve as a brush rest: 
[Image: 7wnED2X.jpg]

You can locate the bowl pictured above on the Internet with a search on the phrase:  

Kokera Lipped Small Bowl with Japanese-style Mortar (Suribachi)

1 1,386
 03-06-2017, 04:48 PM
User Info
That's a beautiful suribachi Mel.  Thanks for posting

23 1,938
 03-06-2017, 05:29 PM
User Info
Scuttle because sooner or later you are going to get one. And they're pretty to look at.

7 298
 03-07-2017, 05:50 AM
User Info
[Image: QmijaSZ.jpg]

This is my Dirty Bird pottery scuttle. It is the 1.5 Model that I have had for about 5 years or so.

1 143
 03-10-2017, 10:51 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I love my scuttle, and if you are dead certain you like/prefer bowl lathering over face lathering, I agree with the majority; get a scuttle.
But if you aren't certain, get a bowl first and try it for a while.
Bowls are cheaper most times, even the purpose made ones for shaving. But you can get a cereal bowl out of your cabinet and it will work just fine until you are sure you like the bowl.
MHO.

2 1,822
 03-14-2017, 05:59 PM
User Info
If you want or think you'd like warm lather, you'll want a scuttle.

Otherwise, I'd do as others have suggested and find something simple.  Could be something you've already got in a cupboard, a bowl or cup.  Personally I'd recommend ceramic over stainless steel.

Once you've figured out what size suits you, depth, width, maybe start looking at shaving-specific designs, ribbed or textured interiors, bowl only or bowl with handle.  Up to you.  Smile

0 482
 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
I picked up a plastic salsa bowl at Wal-Mart. It has 4 little feet on it, light weight, and was only like a dollar. Works great!

0 3
 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
User Info
Fine Lather Bowl is the perfect size, brush doesn't clank around the sides.

0 30
 05-02-2017, 10:12 AM
User Info
I tend to believe we are wet shaving enthusiast simple because we like buy things and have a enjoyable shave. In that order for me. I say get you a small moss scuttle and a Doug smith pottery lather bowl (etsy) and enjoy the luxury of being able to face lather and keep your brush warm or bowl lather and do the same. If you got the money take the plunge while learning. More fun that way

1 41
 07-21-2019, 09:27 AM
User Info
Go inexpensive until you perfect your technique.... You will want to upgrade soon after that.

3 66
 07-22-2019, 06:22 AM
  • RyznRio
  • Connecticut
User Info
I started with cremo, a non lathering shaving soap applied with your hands. cremo is remarkably slick and gives a good shave and face feel afterwards. whatever you choose try to remember that products are tools and by themselves will not improve your shave if your technique is poor so don't start chasing dragons until you can regularly get a DFS without too much irritation. so a good gillette tech, cremo or an omega brush boar or synthetic, and a tube of prorasso cream, GSB or polsilver blades and don't change anything for a month of shaving. at the end of the month you will have wet shaving sorted out and then begin a life long quest that will lead you into internet dark alley's searching for unobtanium ie the perfect razor, soap, brush and blade. all of which will be out of stock when you realize that you absolutely must have them. 
have fun and play nice with the enablers that you meet on this path.

0 355
 07-22-2019, 08:58 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 12:33 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-02-2017, 10:11 PM)punchy Wrote: I may try to begin with a bowl from my cuppboard, just to get started. I also may start out with both some cream and soap. Any recommendations on a special-made clay (or some other all natural material such as wood or bamboo) shaving bowl or mug with maybe some texture in the bottom and perhaps a handle?

These days I am very happy with a Georgetown Pottery G12 scuttle that I acquired in a both-sides-benefitted trade with another Nooker.  That aside, on aesthetics alone, I admit to having drooled over images of the “oil spot” glazed mugs that are produced by artisan potter Nicole Pangas, who has a presence on Etsy.com.  The one below, which has a handle angled for a man who holds the mug in his left hand while whipping up lather with the brush in his right hand, was called “Bronze Warrior.”

[Image: eqr2Nzh.jpg]

That is a spectacular bowl.  But, for the OP, since he hasn't found what works best for him yet, I suggest he start with a simple bowl or large deep mug from his kitchen cabinet.  If he likes using either one, he can then look for a shaving specific bowl or mug of his choice.  I would only go for a scuttle once you know you like bowl lathering and once the temps come down into the frosty numbers.  If you end up buying all this expensive gear early on in your shaving career, you may end up with a large collection of very expensive gear that doesn't get used.  There is always time to spend gobs of money once you know what you like from trial and error.

2 363
 10-17-2019, 05:51 AM
User Info
I always found face lathering much better than bowl lathering. Like many suggest, I tried a bowl from the kitchen, but never produced lather so gave up.
I've bought a Fine Accoutrements bowl which has ridges all over the inside. This makes lather so very easily. It had changed my mind so much.
It is breakable though and if it does, I think I will treat myself to the very stylish SV  wooden grail.

0 195
 10-17-2019, 06:17 AM
User Info
I just realized this is a resurrection of an old thread.  I'm sure the OP found something to whip up lather in by now.  At least I sure hope so.  If he hasn't, he has much bigger problems than learning how to shave.   Sisi1

2 363
 10-17-2019, 07:36 AM
User Info
(10-17-2019, 06:17 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I just realized this is a resurrection of an old thread.  I'm sure the OP found something to whip up lather in by now.  At least I sure hope so.  If he hasn't, he has much bigger problems than learning how to shave.   Sisi1

Maybe old, but of interest to those just interested in scuttles etc.

0 195
 10-17-2019, 09:18 AM
User Info
(10-17-2019, 07:36 AM)Roy Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 06:17 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote: I just realized this is a resurrection of an old thread.  I'm sure the OP found something to whip up lather in by now.  At least I sure hope so.  If he hasn't, he has much bigger problems than learning how to shave.   Sisi1

Maybe old, but of interest to those just interested in scuttles etc.

I totally agree.  Just injecting some humor into things.  Nothing more.

2 363
 10-18-2019, 01:20 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-22-2019, 08:58 AM)MntnMan62 Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 12:33 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote: [Image: eqr2Nzh.jpg]

That is a spectacular bowl.  But, for the OP, since he hasn't found what works best for him yet, I suggest he start with a simple bowl or large deep mug from his kitchen cabinet.  If he likes using either one, he can then look for a shaving specific bowl or mug of his choice.  I would only go for a scuttle once you know you like bowl lathering and once the temps come down into the frosty numbers.  If you end up buying all this expensive gear early on in your shaving career, you may end up with a large collection of very expensive gear that doesn't get used.  

That argument works both ways.  The standard suggestions to questions like the OP's that are posted here (as opposed to more specific questions about, say, Moss scuttles or scuttles made by sainted artisans who work in Israel, etc.) are Captain's Choice or Fine Accoutrements.  The Captain's Choice line runs from $29 to $48 per scuttle, and the Fine Accoutrements bowl goes for $25; neither is a scuttle, to keep the lather warm, but there's nothing wrong with that.  

However, truth be told, as you note, as long as a lathering bowl or mug has sufficient capacity (depth x diameter) to make lather in, and the side walls are not high enough to inhibit a whipping motion with a brush, just about any cereal bowl or soup bowl or the like will serve functionally as a lather bowl.  You hear talk of interior ridges or raised swirls or bumps on the bottom aiding aeration and lathering, but with  a minimal effort and experience, a smooth interior bowl will do just fine with a decent, even inexpensive, brush and a decent shaving soap.  IIRC, I may be on-record on this website in suggesting the $6.40 Haifuki Suribachi (sometimes called a Japanese mortar) from MTC Kitchen in NYC as an excellent choice for a starter lather bowl.  Even if you buy half a dozen of those (if you drop one, it will break, so a spare or five is handy), you are still within the price range of *one* of the higher-end Captain's Choice bowls.  

So — ultimately — the question of scuttles vs. bowls aside, the biggest differentiation among the choices available comes down to aesthetics; and for that, a newbie to the world of lather shaving probably has chops as aesthetically refined as the most grizzled veteran shaver (who, if he really takes his shaving seriously, should not look quite so grizzled).  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. 

1 1,386