02-28-2017, 02:07 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Nowadays we're lucky enough to have access to shaving products from across the world. There are makers that focus on packaging more than others. Some makers only focus on how to make a superior product while packaging comes second. I know that many wet shavers think that a good packaging is a big plus.

After having tried several products the last years, I came to the conclusion that packaging is not that important. I've tried products that have just a nice packaging and give me enjoyable shaves every time. For example, Savon de Volcans comes in a nice plastic container, nothing fancy at all, yet it outperforms many other products with a far superior packaging. These people in France know how to make an excellent soap and don't need a great packaging to promote their products. Another example is Wolfman Razors, which come in a simple white carton packaging and they're so desirable, even though they're very expensive. People don't look for a fancy packaging when they buy a Wolfman. Asylum Rx comes in a nice blue carton little box with foam that fits the razor. It's simple and I like it. It's a premium product and outperforms most modern SE razors I've tried. General SE, an affordable option, which is considered one of the best SE razors by many wet shavers, it's a product I haven't tried, comes in no packaging at all. They reduce their costs that way.

Presentation is not the most important thing and has nothing to do with the performance of a product. I've bought products with an amazing packaging that are inferior to some with less good packaging.

What do you think about the importance of packaging?

49 2,019
 02-28-2017, 02:27 PM
User Info
My only concern is the performance of the product.  Packaging is irrelevant to me and I certainly don't want to pay more for fancier packaging.   This issue comes up in some reviews.  If a reviewer mentions nice packaging as a passing comment, I'm fine with it but it won't make me more likely to purchase the product.  A reviewer who spends a disproportionate amount of time criticizing packaging obviously lacks anything more intelligent to say.  In the shaving world there are some ignorant, self-proclaimed reviewers who are obviously clueless about the economic and practical realities of designing, developing and marketing a product.  Lacking anything of substance to say, they criticize packaging. Just my opinion.

51 6,454
 02-28-2017, 02:34 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(02-28-2017, 02:27 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: My only concern is the performance of the product.  Packaging is irrelevant to me and I certainly don't want to pay more for fancier packaging.   This issue comes up in some reviews.  If a reviewer mentions nice packaging as a passing comment, I'm fine with it but it won't make me more likely to purchase the product.  A reviewer who spends a disproportionate amount of time criticizing packaging obviously lacks anything more intelligent to say.  In the shaving world there are some ignorant, self-proclaimed reviewers who are obviously clueless about the economic and practical realities of designing, developing and marketing a product.

I agree.

Ricardo, I know what you mean. When someone spends so much time saying about a packaging of a product, something doesn't seem well to me. You bought the product, not the packaging. Packaging comes next and it's not of that importance.

49 2,019
 02-28-2017, 02:36 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
So long as the packaging protects the products from the mailing services, I'm fine with pretty much anything that they shipped with. It could be wrapped in newspapers for all I care.

10 378
 02-28-2017, 02:50 PM
User Info
It's simple.  Guys care about the quality and performance of the product.  They are not going to buy a product because it comes in fancy packaging, nor are they going to refrain from buying a product because it comes in plain packaging.

51 6,454
 02-28-2017, 04:04 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
(02-28-2017, 02:50 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's simple.  Guys care about the quality and performance of the product.  They are not going to buy a product because it comes in fancy packaging, nor are they going to refrain from buying a product because it comes in plain packaging.

Exactly right.  No one who is serious about wet-shaving, and, knows it, and, has been doing it for any considerable length of time would ever fall for a pretty box. 

But, newcomers, parents, wives, girlfriends, daughters, sons, etc., all meaning well, and, all in earnest, buy these things for themselves, or, as a gift because "Uncle Quando" loves shaving, or, some such.

1 589
 02-28-2017, 04:11 PM
User Info
When I see an expensive product with in a fancy package, it makes me wonder how much I'm paying for the cardboard box and foam.  Two things I won't ever need to use the product.

0 208
 02-28-2017, 04:17 PM
User Info
I am not at all concerned with the packing process.  Vintage Scent has packaged their brushes in cardboard, tape, and a nylon like envelope for as long as I have been ordering from them.  I have never received a damaged brush.  With most reasonable shipping costs, I am good.  As long as I receive the product in good condition, I can care less concerning packing.

22 764
 02-28-2017, 04:24 PM
User Info
Packaging is useful to me if it protects the contents in transit and has some modicum of aesthetic appeal. I'm not interested in paying for expensive packaging. Cardboard and paper are just fine by me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3 73
 02-28-2017, 04:55 PM
User Info
On modern gear, I'm mostly indifferent about the packaging though I do admire some vendors' approaches to it.  On the other hand, vintage razor set packaging is very important, though my serious collector days have passed.

73 4,338
 02-28-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
Hardware packaging to me is useless and I would rather the maker to save the money than to make a fancier packaging and we as the consumer would have to pay for me them. This is true for two of my other hobby, fountain pen and time pieces, if the packaging was much simpler than a wooden box or something like high quality, I'd probably save few grands.

A good packaging probably will wow me get the 5 mins during the unboxing, and it will be in the cupboard probably for eternity. Despite that, we would still need a reliable packaging that won't do any damage to the product from manufacturing or my hand. That, I don't mind paying.

But on the software side of thing, ie soap for shaving and ink for fountain pen. Packaging is what caught my attention since I love to take picture to showcase them and to put them on my desk. For my audio hobby, I get limited edition whenever possible, I don't need the other stuff, I just love the design and all. For pen, my table probaby have all the iroshizuku, and never once I thought to buy cheaper pilot ink or damine ink. For soap, without good packaging, I won't be trying stuffs like CRSW, T+S, SdP and man more.

0 184
 02-28-2017, 08:04 PM
User Info
(02-28-2017, 02:50 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It's simple.  Guys care about the quality and performance of the product.  They are not going to buy a product because it comes in fancy packaging, nor are they going to refrain from buying a product because it comes in plain packaging.

I second every word, this is how it is for me however packaging is like dressing up for an interview! When a product comes well packaged, you can tell a lot about the vendor's attention to detail and also their overall attitude towards the products. Doesn't have to fancy but "clean" "simple" "elegant" definitely says a lot about the core product inside the package!
An unpressed shirt for an interview is certainly a reflection on the employee, same goes for a soap with a loose/cracked lid for example. Just my $.02

18 788
 02-28-2017, 09:16 PM
User Info
I love good packaging. But the product comes first.

For those of us lucky enough to have a Wolfman Razor, the cardboard box in which it comes is underwhelming. So what? This is a functional piece of art, one that will last for generations. The box? Recycle bin material.

Please excuse me if the following comes off as harsh, but I feel compelled to share this:

Glutton for punishment that I am, I've been watching a certain reviewer of wet shave products go on and on about the packaging of certain gear.

At the risk of being rude, it's clear to me that in his review of a razor recently released by Bullgoose, this reviewer went out of his way to criticize roundly and often the plain blue box in which it came. 

The razor in question is a really fine shaver, and faithful to its inspiration razor; beautiful to look at and use.

I could care less about the box.

It would be a lot more honest if that reviewer would just come out and say that he doesn't care for Bullgoose, or whatever his issue is, rather than being passive aggressive and harping on packaging.

The tipoff to me of where he's coming from is that he mentioned that he doesn't mind the packaging of the Wolfman Razor, but he did have a problem with the packaging of the Asylum razor. Please.

I poked fun of this in a recent SOTD:

[Image: JTAUQ9d.jpg]Asylum Evolution Razor
Feather Platinum
Santa Maria Novella v3
Paladin PK-47 in Butterscotch Marble

Almost 47 years into wet shaving, and I learn something new every day. Was watching some YouTube shaving videos, and found one that emphasized how important the packaging of the products was to the shave. 

I had NO idea!

Although the shave today was BBS with no irritation, I found myself thinking all day about how that plain blue cardboard box took away from my enjoyment of the Asylum Evolution. And the beautiful lather produced by the Paladin PK-47 was wonderful, but please, a black cardboard tube? Now the SMV, with heavy cardboard stock and gold lettering, I'm sure that's why my post-shave feel is so outstanding.

I may have to rethink my Wolfman Razors, as I looked at those plain white cardboard boxes and wondered how the Wolfman could possibly shave so well.

Live and learn!

24 664
 02-28-2017, 09:51 PM
User Info
I agree with most others here. I appreciate good packaging, especially packaging that protects the item well. However, it's a "nice to have" thing, and it doesn't influence my buying decision. 

The Asylum packaging is acceptable to me. I actually thought that Youtube reviewer was very complimentary of the two Asylum razors, and I inferred the reason he spent so much time on the packaging was because he didn't have many critiques of the actual razors. If I were Phil, I would consider that a success.

7 293
 02-28-2017, 11:49 PM
User Info
Most important, for me, is that what I buy is packed good enough to be protected during shipping.

If I buy an expensive razor I think it's nice if it comes in a nice box, but of course it is how it performs that matters and a "cheap" packaging won't stop me from buying the razor. And the Asylum packaging is good enough for me.

When it comes to soaps packaging is extremely important, but not that it has to be fancy, but I want the jar or tub to be wide enough. Simple is okay, but too small is not.

0 89
 03-05-2017, 05:27 AM
User Info
(02-28-2017, 04:04 PM)Quando Wrote:

Exactly right.  No one who is serious about wet-shaving, and, knows it, and, has been doing it for any considerable length of time would ever fall for a pretty box. 

But, newcomers, parents, wives, girlfriends, daughters, sons, etc., all meaning well, and, all in earnest, buy these things for themselves, or, as a gift because "Uncle Quando" loves shaving, or, some such.

Dear gents;

I am with you 100%. But, collectors may think otherwise...

Regards,

Pepe Peña

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 03-05-2017, 08:09 AM
User Info
Cool topic and I'd agree with the camp that believes packaging has no bearing on the actual function of the product but as a manufacturer myself I will state that for the health of my business, packaging is EVERYTHING!  the packaging makes a statement to potential customers that the product within is quality, desirable, and well designed and executed.  Frankly we are all affected by packaging/marketing as evidenced by the fact that a certain adult beverage could simply be packaged in a 12 oz aluminum cylinder and the taste/usefulness would not be affected but Brewers spend millions of dollars decorating/branding not from desire to increase cost but because to do otherwise would be the death of the company.  I am affected by packaging and I'd gamble that so are you.  And by the way, my products are marketed to off-road enthusiasts that are every bit as tuned-in as are my wet shaving brethren. Marketing/packaging matters whether I like it or not.

3 173
 03-05-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
Well, yes and no. I can only address my products. My after the shave products are as natural as I can make them. That means that certain environmental factors will degrade them. I include a sheet with every bottle that explains this. They need to be kept closed to exclude O2, and out of bright light. I sell my products in a bottle that helps with that, and it helps to keep the price down for those who want to save money and have a suitable place to store the product, but I also sell a stainless steel flask that is totally opaque and excludes O2. It is by far the best packaging for my products. But it's completely optional.

As a general rule I don't want to pay extra for packaging that's forced on me since the customer is always paying for that. My world view tells me that I'm either getting less quality or less product for the price. I want my money to be put into the product.

32 6,472
 03-05-2017, 09:25 AM
User Info
[quote='Lipripper60' pid='783275' dateline='1488730155']
Cool topic and I'd agree with the camp that believes packaging has no bearing on the actual function of the product but as a manufacturer myself I will state that for the health of my business, packaging is EVERYTHING!  the packaging makes a statement to potential customers that the product within is quality, desirable, and well designed and executed.  Frankly we are all affected by packaging/marketing as evidenced by the fact that a certain adult beverage could simply be packaged in a 12 oz aluminum cylinder and the taste/usefulness would not be affected but Brewers spend millions of dollars decorating/branding not from desire to increase cost but because to do otherwise would be the death of the company.  I am affected by packaging and I'd gamble that so are you.  And by the way, my products are marketed to off-road enthusiasts that are every bit as tuned-in as are my wet shaving brethren. Marketing/packaging matters whether I like it or not.
[/quote/]

I agree with the ripper too. It is not the same for the mega corporations that for the boutique kind of products. For all i care, asylum, rockwell, att, barbaros, etc. can send their products in bubble wrap. That would be unthinkable for Ford motor company, or for Budweiser, or Apple computers.

How many movies have everyone watched (or discarded) because of the poster, or the name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 03-05-2017, 03:02 PM
User Info
I throw packaging away as soon as I get them item , not at all concerned as long as the item arrives not damaged.

63 1,597