02-28-2017, 09:30 PM
User Info
Good evening folks. Some of you may know me from around the forums. I have been out of touch for several months. I must admit to my surprise seeing all the new SEs out there. I am very much a vintage type. The Gem Jr. Is a favorite and I love the micro maric even. So my question is what is the deal with the newer razors? What makes them tick? Is it easier to get modern blades? Or more appealing style maybe? I have used modern more expensive DE razors and see no reason to pay the extra price. A gillette old or single ring still give me the best shaves. Is the same true with new SE razors?

1 143
 02-28-2017, 09:40 PM
User Info
I think you have answered your own question. I'll let others chime in as well, but I think if you aren't in the market for a sleek, heavy stainless steel (I know, there are light weight aluminum ones) razor, then stick with your GEM junior or micromatic. Of course, if you get curious, lots of options...though none that take the GEM style blade (though I keep hearing rumors that these are in the works).

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 337
 03-01-2017, 03:54 AM
User Info
I like mixing old and new.  I have several GEMs that shave wonderfully including Juniors, Clog Prufs, MMOC and my favorite daily shaver, the GEM Bullet.  I also own an ATT slant and a Wolfman OC.  They not only shave well but the design and craftsmanship are superb.  And I hope to buy one of the modern SE razors in the very near future.  Could I live happily ever after with my $15 GEM Bullet or my $12 GEM Junior? Certainly. They are both great shavers at any price.  At 10 times the price of the GEM Bullet, does the ATT give a 10 times better shave?  Absolutely not.  In my opinion that is beside the point.  Hobbies like this one are about the heart and not about the brain.  There is nothing magical about the modern, stainless steel razors beyond the desire to try something well designed and superbly crafted - the way things used to be made but aren't any more.  

Cheers

2 63
 03-01-2017, 05:07 AM
User Info
Very well put. That makes complete sense. Thank you.

Fuzzy

1 143
 03-01-2017, 05:14 AM
User Info
As with wchnu, I too have been away from the forums for a while; in my case about 3 years. When I was last active on a regular basis the only new SE I knew of (via Sharpspine) was the Cobra. Over the last 3 years I would occasionally pop in to a forum and it seems every time I did there was another new SE on the market. I'm still happy with my vintage SEs but  I'm curious, how much do blades for the new ones cost?

Alan

2 68
 03-01-2017, 05:36 AM
User Info
Most of the new ones are focused on the same blades that the Cobra uses, the Feather Artist Club style blades. I've not kept up with the current pricing but they are still more than many other blades but their longevity helps make their true cost much lower.

I use the OneBlade with a GEM blade (spine removed) but I'm awaiting some of the rumors to come true with a new razor made for the GEM blade without any modification. I like the OneBlade over my vintage SEs because it's much more comfortable to hold in my hand. For me the MicroMatic handles are too thin and most of the other GEM style handles are too small/short. I've had a couple heads retapped to put aftermarket handles on them but that seems to throw the balance off.

31 8,057
 03-01-2017, 07:57 AM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 05:36 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Most of the new ones are focused on the same blades that the Cobra uses, the Feather Artist Club style blades. I've not kept up with the current pricing but they are still more than many other blades but their longevity helps make their true cost much lower.

I use the OneBlade with a GEM blade (spine removed) but I'm awaiting some of the rumors to come true with a new razor made for the GEM blade without any modification. I like the OneBlade over my vintage SEs because it's much more comfortable to hold in my hand. For me the MicroMatic handles are too thin and most of the other GEM style handles are too small/short. I've had a couple heads retapped to put aftermarket handles on them but that seems to throw the balance off.

I too am eager to see if the rumors to cone true. Interestingly, I had the opposite experience. I find the one blade handle uncomfortable (though it looks really cool) and find the vintage GEMs to be easier for me to hold. But I s glad to have tried out the one blade. In the next week or two I'm going to be trying out the cobra and the asylum rx. Should be interesting. Honestly I kind of hope I don't like them. I am not looking for a reason to spend more money.

3 337
 03-01-2017, 08:39 AM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 05:14 AM)Alan Wrote: As with wchnu, I too have been away from the forums for a while; in my case about 3 years. When I was last active on a regular basis the only new SE I knew of (via Sharpspine) was the Cobra. Over the last 3 years I would occasionally pop in to a forum and it seems every time I did there was another new SE on the market. I'm still happy with my vintage SEs but  I'm curious, how much do blades for the new ones cost?

Alan

Costs of course vary.  I can find Feather blades cheaper than the Kai's.  I can get Feather Pro Supers for around $11 a 20 pack if I shop it.  Feather Pro's cost me more.  I haven not found a good source for cheapish Kai's yet.  The blades last me a pretty good while so they are not a huge expense to me. 

Are the razors worth the high costs?  To me they are but there are now some cheaper alternatives.  To me the blade is the star and the razor the delivery system.  I do like picking up a hunk of precision machined stainless steel and feeling the quality though.  That kind of quality would cost no matter what the blade IMHO.

1 161
 03-01-2017, 08:44 AM
User Info
i have found kais through the bst and jumped on them.  have plenty now. also de splined 100 gems and even got the damn nibbler. it broke after 65 or so.

73 1,296
 03-01-2017, 11:17 AM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 05:36 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: Most of the new ones are focused on the same blades that the Cobra uses, the Feather Artist Club style blades. I've not kept up with the current pricing but they are still more than many other blades but their longevity helps make their true cost much lower.

I have heard that Colonial Razors is planning on creating a new razor which utilizes the GEM blade.

eric.

7 150
 03-01-2017, 12:47 PM
User Info
Lot of good information here guys, Thank you for taking the time to share.

Fuzzy

1 143
 03-01-2017, 04:23 PM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 11:17 AM)glassmtn Wrote:

I have heard that Colonial Razors is planning on creating a new razor which utilizes the GEM blade.

eric.

Yes, Colonial and at least a couple others that I know of have mentioned it. Now to see who makes it happen first.

31 8,057
 03-01-2017, 08:12 PM
User Info
For me, the main draw of the new SE razors is the Feather Artist Club blades -- in particular, the Pro Super, which I also use in Feather and Kai kamisori-style straights. There is no other blade like it.

0 85
 03-01-2017, 09:03 PM
User Info
(03-01-2017, 08:12 PM)Viseguy Wrote: For me, the main draw of the new SE razors is the Feather Artist Club blades -- in particular, the Pro Super, which I also use in Feather and Kai kamisori-style straights. There is no other blade like it.

I have not tried one of those style straights. I use a shavette now and then. But just with the half DE blade. I hear those Feathers your talking about do rock.

1 143
 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(03-01-2017, 03:54 AM)rodmonster Wrote: I like mixing old and new.  I have several GEMs that shave wonderfully including Juniors, Clog Prufs, MMOC and my favorite daily shaver, the GEM Bullet.  I also own an ATT slant and a Wolfman OC.  They not only shave well but the design and craftsmanship are superb.  And I hope to buy one of the modern SE razors in the very near future.  Could I live happily ever after with my $15 GEM Bullet or my $12 GEM Junior? Certainly. They are both great shavers at any price.  At 10 times the price of the GEM Bullet, does the ATT give a 10 times better shave?  Absolutely not.  In my opinion that is beside the point.  Hobbies like this one are about the heart and not about the brain.  There is nothing magical about the modern, stainless steel razors beyond the desire to try something well designed and superbly crafted - the way things used to be made but aren't any more.  

Cheers

Well said, rodmonster. I feel much the same. My vintage SEs give me all (I think Wink) I could ask of a razor. I do however appreciate variety and alternate between SE and DE.

7 2,143
 03-03-2017, 09:57 AM
User Info
OK, I am ignorant so I seek some education.

What is the advantage or reason to use a traditional SE/GEM/Injector blade over the Artist Club blades.  From everything I have read the Artist Club blades are very highly regarded and I do not understand the appeal of the injectors.

1 161
 03-03-2017, 10:32 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 09:57 AM)White Tuna Wrote: OK, I am ignorant so I seek some education.

What is the advantage or reason to use a traditional SE/GEM/Injector blade over the Artist Club blades.  From everything I have read the Artist Club blades are very highly regarded and I do not understand the appeal of the injectors.
I like that they are shorter, more similar to the length of DE blades. But of course they are stiffer than DE blades

3 337
 03-03-2017, 10:44 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 09:57 AM)White Tuna Wrote: OK, I am ignorant so I seek some education.

Unless you trim AC blades they fit just a handful of modern razors which is pretty limiting. Standard Injectors and SE blades fit dozens of inexpensive vintage razors . Whether you prefer them or not is a YMMV situation. Personally I owned three AC blade razors and sold them all, none of them offered the balance of comfort and efficiency I get from many of my vintage SE/Injectors. Part of it is I don't like the wide blade on my head shave.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 215
 03-03-2017, 03:27 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info

If you spent most of your life shaving with carts, imo injectors are quite reminiscent of the mechanics of cart razors - all the old cart shave muscle memories came flooding back with my first injector shave. They're lightweight, easy to maneuver and give Super close shaves. Plus, they're quite inexpensive and look so darn cool. If you haven't tried one, treat yourself soon Biggrin

7 2,143
 03-03-2017, 03:30 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Oh yes, GEMs. GEM razors are also great shavers. Close, close, close. Good looks, reliable, inexpensive.

7 2,143