03-02-2017, 02:15 PM
User Info
Hi,
    I'm new to pre-shaves, aftershaves and the like. My question is: Shouldn't a pre-shave and aftershave be more like a skin conditioner or cleanser rather than just a scent you put on? Afterall, your doing something rather drastic scraping a blades edge as sharp as a knifes edge over your skin.
Thank you

0 44
 03-02-2017, 02:23 PM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
Many use a witch hazel to brace the skin. Some use shave balms after their shave. Others rely on alum to close their shaves. A cologne or aftershave is up to the user, but you are basically correct; you should pamper your skin after a shave. As far as pre-shave, a hot shower is usually enough but you will find those who use oils or other preparations prior to shaving. It is all about personal preference and need and you will learn what your face needs and likes.

4 403
 03-04-2017, 11:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info. 

I wonder what kind of oils can be used? Is that like essential oils or something else?

Also; which is more traditional; the alum block or the balm as an after-treatment. Just curious...

0 44
 03-06-2017, 11:32 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I don't know of any after shaves that are made with only scent in mind.

7 2,204
 03-06-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 11:29 PM)punchy Wrote: Thanks for the info. 

I wonder what kind of oils can be used? Is that like essential oils or something else?

Also; which is more traditional; the alum block or the balm as an after-treatment. Just curious...
Grapeseed, meadofoam, almond, olive, coconut are typical primary oils in preshaves. Vegetable glycerin as well. Secondly oils may include argan and castor.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 89
 03-11-2017, 09:35 AM
  • Quando
  • Wo Fürsten Stehen
User Info
I use a pre-shave cream, from Proraso, before I shave, as it is generally between 20, and, 30 minutes from the time I leave the shower, until the time I shave.

0 325