03-11-2017, 07:41 AM
User Info
(03-02-2017, 03:10 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Dear gents;

Well, I'm in the market for a couple of synthetic brushes.  What should i be looking for???

Best for all,

Pepon

I have a jack black synthetic which was my 2nd brush after a Proraso boar. Though there is hardly any backbone in it, i still love it when am in paucity of time. I have recently ordered for a Chubby 2 synth , lets see how that turns out to be.

1 833
 03-11-2017, 08:12 AM
User Info
Here is the Asylum.
[Image: 77cc1abdf07e910c92ee4eeadc47b4af.jpg]

The other three, i think, share the same knot. And if it is not the same, at least it was the same manufacturer.
[Image: 70b970d72bfb55ef1041a914bc6f9d47.jpg]
My search is over. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 03-11-2017, 08:01 PM
User Info
 03-12-2017, 09:17 AM
User Info
(03-11-2017, 03:47 AM)apogee. Wrote: Some comment on the Muehle black fibre synthetic brushes, please?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

One of the better knots when it comes to splaying, yet a bit springy in how the fibers perform.

31 8,058
 03-12-2017, 12:17 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I tried like half a dozen different synthetic knots and liked none enough to keep.
I even prefer horse over synthetic.
I will stay a badger guy.

38 1,872
 03-12-2017, 05:54 PM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 12:17 PM)German Wrote: I tried like half a dozen different synthetic knots and liked none enough to keep.

As a face latherer, I still have not worked out how to avoid the water from suddenly being thrown down my shirt, when I really dig deep with the brush on my face.
After 100's of tests with different synthetics, I still can't control the water ratio in them.

Badgers are just so much greater at holding the water and let go in small drops, when needed.

24 6,001
 03-12-2017, 05:57 PM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 05:54 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 12:17 PM)German Wrote: I tried like half a dozen different synthetic knots and liked none enough to keep.

As a face latherer, I still have not worked out how to avoid the water from suddenly being thrown down my shirt, when I really dig deep with the brush on my face.
After 100's of tests with different synthetics, I still can't control the water ratio in them.

Badgers are just so much greater at holding the water and let go in small drops, when needed.

Well you see my friend, one thing is a con for some, the same thing is a pro for others...

0 479
 03-12-2017, 09:36 PM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 05:57 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 05:54 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Well you see my friend, one thing is a con for some, the same thing is a pro for others...

Agreed,

If I could somehow figure out how to control the water with synthetics, I honestly would sell all my badgers.

But the lack of control I have with the water in synthetics, when I dig deep to make the finishing perfect touch on my lather always makes it dribble down my neck and shirt and actually ruins a perfect made lather time after time.

I have tried 30-40 top synthetics, Siumpson Chubby 2 Synthetic the latest, and I stil can't dial them in.
They start out perfect, but when I do the finishing touches on my lather by pressing the brush a little deeper in, my badgers keep the water trapped, my synthetics all release it down my shirt and neck AND I HATE THAT !!!

24 6,001
 03-13-2017, 03:45 AM
User Info
Dear CH;

I have a suggestion, with all due respect and with the characteristic camaraderie of the forum: loose the shirt! Jajajja. I am just kidding. The same thing happens to me. The thing is that i just dont care about a little soap flying around. I shave sans shirt. :-)

Now seriously, have you tried adding less water more often? Wouldn't this solve the problem?

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 03-13-2017, 04:00 AM
User Info
I've used the Muhle HJM synthetic without water issues.

36 899
 03-13-2017, 06:36 AM
User Info
Claus, I have also been troubled by the Chubby 2 synthetic's propensity to dump water on me.  This morning I lathered up with MDC and the CH2 synthetic by using only a touch of water on the tips of the dry brush and then putting drops on the soap as I loaded.  I didn't get the water dump.  I was close to selling my CH2 synthetic, but this approach may save it.

2 81
 03-13-2017, 07:21 AM
User Info
Simpson/Plisson/Plissoft/STF's have to be loaded fairly dry from the get-go, adding water as you go. The Gamechanger is the only one so far that works better when you use more water to start. It will fling, but it helps the knot open up. The Tuxedo also benefits from more water up front. That's been my experience.

29 1,776
 03-13-2017, 01:00 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-12-2017, 09:36 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: when I dig deep to make the finishing perfect touch on my lather always makes it dribble down my neck and shirt and actually ruins a perfect made lather time after time.

I have tried 30-40 top synthetics, Siumpson Chubby 2 Synthetic the latest, and I stil can't dial them in.
They start out perfect, but when I do the finishing touches on my lather by pressing the brush a little deeper in, my badgers keep the water trapped, my synthetics all release it down my shirt and neck AND I HATE THAT !!!

Shave nekkid.

Cheers  Problem solved.  

1 1,100
 03-13-2017, 01:29 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 01:00 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 09:36 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: when I dig deep to make the finishing perfect touch on my lather always makes it dribble down my neck and shirt and actually ruins a perfect made lather time after time.

Shave nekkid.

Cheers  Problem solved.  

Jajajaja. This makes me remember the very first tip that they gave me when i starter wet shaving. It is more straight oriented, but it holds true... never shave with at least a towel around your waist, and if a razor slips from your grasp, never try to catch it...!!! None of those injuries are pretty.

0 479
 03-13-2017, 08:30 PM
User Info
You have to give Razorock's big Bruce a chance. For $14.99, you can use this amazing brush that you have been missing out on.

11 186
 03-14-2017, 04:31 AM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 03:45 AM)carlospppena Wrote: Dear CH;

I have a suggestion, with all due respect and with the characteristic camaraderie of the forum: loose the shirt! Jajajja. I am just kidding. The same thing happens to me. The thing is that i just dont care about a little soap flying around. I shave sans shirt. :-)

Now seriously, have you tried adding less water more often? Wouldn't this solve the problem?

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

For some reason I have trouble dialling the water ratio in with synths in general.

Could be just me, could be the thickness of the water here (we have rock hard water here)

Also the face feel of Synthetics, while angel soft, still lacks for me compared to my top badgers.

24 6,001
 03-14-2017, 04:34 AM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 06:36 AM)Tom Slick Wrote: Claus, I have also been troubled by the Chubby 2 synthetic's propensity to dump water on me.  This morning I lathered up with MDC and the CH2 synthetic by using only a touch of water on the tips of the dry brush and then putting drops on the soap as I loaded.  I didn't get the water dump.  I was close to selling my CH2 synthetic, but this approach may save it.

Thanks.

My other issue with CH2 Synthetics, and why I sold all my CH2 badgers, the handle is just too tiny.

I might sell it for that reason alone.
I just hate the CH2 handle these days. Slippery, small and not that ergonomic unfortunately.....

24 6,001
 03-17-2017, 05:39 PM
User Info
Just had my 3.rd og 4.th shave with the Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic brush this evening.
This synthetic, by many considered the ultimate best, if you like density in your synthetics, just did not impress me that much to be honest.

Firstly the handle, now I have XL hands, but this Chubby 2 handle is just neither large enough, nor is it designed with enough grip, so I could continue using it, even though the handle is small in itself.

I lived in denial for years, because everyone raved about this handle to me, so I honestly didn't dare to admit, that I hate this handle shape and too small size. Add to that a slippery handle, and you have a brush handle, that just is not for me at all.

What I do like is the density of the knot - if only Mark Watterson would make a Chubby 3 synthetic, I can only dream.

But it still has the same problem of all the 30-40 synthetics I have owned and used.
At first they are wonderful soft and gentle, but when you need to dig deep into the hard soap, you need to either wet the soap or the brush tips, thus water will get into the brush knot.

Then you load it, and yes it does attract some soap and lather onto the hairs, but I'm left with the feeling, that I don't want to trap too much water in to knot, because I simply hate that water release feel dribbling down my neck, cloths or no cloths, I hate that feeling, and it almost always happens, when I have just build the PERFECT face lather lather, then I give it that last press to perfect the lather, like I do with my badgers, and then it releases that crazy annoying water, that drips down through my 99% perfect lather, I just build on my face.

I'm at a point now, where I'm almost afraid of adding water to the brush, to avoid the build up water inside the knot, so I face lather with a too dry brush, which results in a too dry lather.

I have tried and tried, but still after 100's of tries, I can't seem to get my synthetics to work as I want to and as my badgers do.

It doen's matter synthetics create the lather faster, than badgers, if you can't finalize the perfect lather with them in the end out of respect from filling them with even just drops of water, because you hate the dribbling of water down your lather, neck, arms and chest/stomach.

24 6,001
 03-17-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 03:45 AM)carlospppena Wrote: Dear CH;

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

I understand this problem, as I found that part annoying, and I couldn't keep my shirt dry. That and it felt uncomfortable. My solution was to indeed lose the shirt as carlospppena suggested. I understand it isn't for all. It doesn't solve the problem of controlling the water being lost, but makes it less annoying for me, and is manageable. On the bright side, I think someday soon synthetics will improve enough to conquer this problem! Smile

23 650
 03-17-2017, 05:57 PM
User Info
+1 for shaving topless
But I do agree about the chubby 2 handle. I actually have small hands and I still find the handle somewhat unsatisfying.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 335