03-03-2017, 05:16 AM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Greetings everyone ! Im on the market for Wolfman SB WR1 or OKomb , and would like to know from members who have both  the difference  In quality and aggressiveness . Thank you in advance !

10 424
 03-03-2017, 05:56 AM
User Info
The Wolfman's finish is superior. The 0.74 mm OC, paired with an ATT bamboo handle still provides more blade feel than the BB SB. However, I find the Wolfman OC (0.74) more comfortable on the face than the BB OC. In terms of efficiency and closeness the final result with both the BB SB and Wolfman OC is very very close. I honestly couldn't pick as to which shaves closer, probably would need a micrometer. Could just be early days but I can't as yet get a close finish with the BB OC.

0 847
 03-03-2017, 07:01 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
I have both SB and OC Blackbirds, as well as .61, .67, and .74 Wolfman SB. The quality of the Wolfman finish is indeed superior. The BB however, wins on the shave efficiency. The three BB SB finishes provide as comfortable a shave as my Wolfmen (all in brushed SS). I am yet to notice any drag with my Birds. I am still learning the OC BB, which so far did not work for me as well as the standard bar.

113 1,542
 03-03-2017, 07:41 AM
User Info
I have both, but I think you'll need to be more specific when asking about efficiency since the Wolfman can come in several different blade gaps and several different materials, each of which can provide a very different shave.

I have the Blackbird in both Black Oxide and polished.  My Wolfman is the WR1-SB Polished 316SS with a  .61 mm (standard) blade gap.

I would say that for me the Wolfman is superior in construction, efficiency and comfort.  But that's just me and what I prefer. There have been a lot of others who have opted for higher blade gaps because they wanted a more aggressive razor.

I do enjoy the shaves I got from my Blackbird, and there could be an argument that it's not really a fair comparison.

Blackland is manufacturing razors like most razor makers, but James Dufour is a one man shop making razors without really worrying about meeting production quotas. He's  just making sure that each razor meets his standards. So I don't mean to make a dig at Blackland, I really like their razors.  But the two companies are working under very different circumstances.

But, to answer your question, Wolfman is absolutely superior in quality, and the aggressiveness can be tailored to suit your needs.  But you need to be very lucky or very patient, and really both, in order to get one.  Blackbirds are a lot more easily gotten.

0 410
 03-03-2017, 07:52 AM
User Info
I would say the blackbird polished is more efficient and gives a closer shave with less passes than a standard wolfman. The blackbird, however, is technique heavy to get the efficiency. 

Now add a BBS-1 and I would say the bbs-1 has a bit larger effective angle and is a smudge easier to use. 

Now add an open comb blackbird polished and the comparison with the bbs-1 becomes awash.

18 655
 03-03-2017, 02:02 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(03-03-2017, 07:41 AM)nelamvr6 Wrote: I have both, but I think you'll need to be more specific when asking about efficiency since the Wolfman can come in several different blade gaps and several different materials, each of which can provide a very different shave.

I have the Blackbird in both Black Oxide and polished.  My Wolfman is the WR1-SB Polished 316SS with a  .61 mm (standard) blade gap.

I would say that for me the Wolfman is superior in construction, efficiency and comfort.  But that's just me and what I prefer. There have been a lot of others who have opted for higher blade gaps because they wanted a more aggressive razor.

I do enjoy the shaves I got from my Blackbird, and there could be an argument that it's not really a fair comparison.

Blackland is manufacturing razors like most razor makers, but James Dufour is a one man shop making razors without really worrying about meeting production quotas. He's  just making sure that each razor meets his standards. So I don't mean to make a dig at Blackland, I really like their razors.  But the two companies are working under very different circumstances.

But, to answer your question, Wolfman is absolutely superior in quality, and the aggressiveness can be tailored to suit your needs.  But you need to be very lucky or very patient, and really both, in order to get one.  Blackbirds are a lot more easily gotten.
Well put! 

I was lucky to acquire a couple of James' creations and I am not letting either of them go. I also have a few BB and they all are staying too. However, I had an opportunity to try two different BBS1s and I exchanged them both for Wolfmen. Could not get even as half good a shave as I can get with a Wolfman or a BB.

113 1,542
 03-03-2017, 02:34 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
Thank you everybody ! I do have polished BB and although very efficient I have very hard time learning how to shave especially my neck . This is why I want to try James standard SB  !

10 424
 03-03-2017, 02:39 PM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 02:02 PM)ARGH Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 07:41 AM)nelamvr6 Wrote: I have both, but I think you'll need to be more specific when asking about efficiency since the Wolfman can come in several different blade gaps and several different materials, each of which can provide a very different shave.

Well put! 

I was lucky to acquire a couple of James' creations and I am not letting either of them go. I also have a few BB and they all are staying too. However, I had an opportunity to try two different BBS1s and I exchanged them both for Wolfmen. Could not get even as half good a shave as I can get with a Wolfman or a BB.

I would love to find a BBS-1, if for no other reason than to add this rare bird to my collection.  I have read a lot of reviews, and a lot of people love them.  But I don't suppose there's any razor on the planet that everyone likes...

0 410