03-03-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
I received my Merkur Progress today. I can see the appeal of the Mergress SS handle base, but I find it hard to believe that it could be adjusted or tuned any better than the stock Progress. I have the short handle and with a fresh Lord blade, got a wonderful BBS, 2 pass shave this morning. I pre-oiled my stubble and used Ginger's Garden Flower Grenade, tallow soap. I used the middle setting. It gave me great audible feedback. There was no irritation.

Now, we all realize that this is a subjective hobby. If we all liked the same thing, there would be 1 thread and we'd all like it and run out of ways to agree with it and we would all be very board. That is why we have cats, dogs AND ferrets. But we all have a common interest. There are tangible needs and constants. Build quality, durability, face protection and a desire for a pleasurable experience and close shave without a self sacrifice. OK, my soap box is cracking. I'll step down.

I really, really like adjustable razors. However, I am not thrilled with my 2x used Rockwell S6. I don't think I could really even put a finger on why. It has great weight, great flexibility and an awesome quality durable build. Just not a big fan.

SQUIRREL!

Anyway, thanks for reading.
DB

4 74
 03-03-2017, 08:01 AM
User Info
I think as hobbyists we get caught up in the hype a little bit(or a lot).  My NEW and pre-war tech shave as well as anything else I have and I got them for $20 combined.

0 166
 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 08:01 AM)bkatbamna Wrote: I think as hobbyists we get caught up in the hype a little bit(or a lot).  My NEW and pre-war tech shave as well as anything else I have and I got them for $20 combined.

Exactly. Instant-Gratification-Syndrome. It is new, therefore it must be better.

4 74
 03-03-2017, 08:13 AM
User Info
I have all three - Progress, Mergress, Digress - and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in each of the shaves at the same adjustment position.  However, the materials and tighter tolerances you get with the customized versions definitely add a higher level of quality in the hand, while operating the razor.  Plus, more weight.

73 4,304
 03-03-2017, 08:38 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 08:13 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I have all three - Progress, Mergress, Digress - and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in each of the shaves at the same adjustment position.  However, the materials and tighter tolerances you get with the customized versions definitely add a higher level of quality in the hand, while operating the razor.  Plus, more weight.
Thant makes sense. Why did you buy (get) all three? And do you use them equally?

4 74
 03-03-2017, 10:17 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 08:38 AM)DBart. Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 08:13 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I have all three - Progress, Mergress, Digress - and I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in each of the shaves at the same adjustment position.  However, the materials and tighter tolerances you get with the customized versions definitely add a higher level of quality in the hand, while operating the razor.  Plus, more weight.
Thant makes sense.  Why did you buy (get) all three? And do you use them equally?

I mostly use the Digress.  Why all three?  For the same reason I once had over 100 vintage razors, that's why.   Tongue Angel

73 4,304
 03-03-2017, 11:13 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 10:17 AM)TexBilly Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 08:38 AM)DBart. Wrote:
Thant makes sense.  Why did you buy (get) all three? And do you use them equally?

I mostly use the Digress.  Why all three?  For the same reason I once had over 100 vintage razors, that's why.   Tongue Angel

And that is really the only acceptable answer. It is also the same reason I own 50+ vintage watches and many more newer ones.
Thanks

4 74