03-03-2017, 06:28 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
I posted this on an old LPL thread.  However, ss I thought about it, it seems a like a new thread and title would be better.  So...

I made a trade for LP Cedre Patchouli.  I used it this morning and I'm underwhelmed.

The scent is not as pronounced as I was expecting, but the real issue is with the lather.  I got very airy lather.  Kinda frothy, certainly not dense like I was expecting.  I've read posts that LPL is akin to MdC.  What I got this morning was not even close.

I loaded the brush longer than typical.  Tried adding water.  Still....meh.

Would those who have good success with LPL offer suggestions please?  I want to like it, but it I need performance (and coaching apparently).

Thanks

60 1,599
 03-03-2017, 06:42 PM
User Info
I have the Rose de Pushkar and it's been excellent while taking less than I usually load with other soaps to get great results.

Less product but perhaps more time lathering to be honest. Nothing dramatic. 

I am actually impressed with the amount of usable lather left over after 2 full passes and touch ups. I shave in the shower too and sometimes I end up with too much water or runny lather. I also have hard water that some soaps like MWF just won't go for me. 

I don't know how similar to MdC it is. 
MdC is more like an airy detergent feeling to me. I think the LPL is more like Saponificio Varesino. Easy to lather and still capable of hitting a creamy consistency. Not drying like MdC can be.

Maybe the batch variation or scent ingredients are different with what you have? 

I do only have the one LPL.

9 1,407
 03-03-2017, 07:17 PM
  • Bouki
  • Sandwich Islands
User Info
I had trouble getting a nice lather when I loaded my brush from one of Cyril's 98 gram tins. I couldn't get enough soap into the bristles to make a nice slick, rich lather. I don't have this problem when using the 200 gram tubs. So, surface area may have something to do with our difficulty in making a rich lather. 

I've moved the contents of the small tins into wooden bowls, and that seems to have solved the problem.

5 135
 03-03-2017, 10:35 PM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 06:28 PM)MaxP Wrote: I posted this on an old LPL thread.  However, ss I thought about it, it seems a like a new thread and title would be better.  So...

I made a trade for LP Cedre Patchouli.  I used it this morning and I'm underwhelmed.

The scent is not as pronounced as I was expecting, but the real issue is with the lather.  I got very airy lather.  Kinda frothy, certainly not dense like I was expecting.  I've read posts that LPL is akin to MdC.  What I got this morning was not even close.

Would those who have good success with LPL offer suggestions please?  I want to like it, but it I need performance (and coaching apparently).

Thanks

Do you own the 98 gram version or the 200 gram version ?

24 5,965
 03-03-2017, 10:39 PM
User Info
I would say that it is a good idea to get a larger loading surface as a start. Personally, it has been a while since I have used LPL but I can say that in my experience, it should work fairly easily and well just by using a well wrung out brush, load, maybe you'll add a few drips of water a couple times during loading, and then during the face lathering add a normal amount of water.

Do you use tap water and if so, is it hard or soft water?

79 1,338
 03-04-2017, 04:32 AM
User Info
(03-03-2017, 06:28 PM)MaxP Wrote: I posted this on an old LPL thread.  However, ss I thought about it, it seems a like a new thread and title would be better.  So...

Thanks

Hello,

I use almost only LPL (RDP, Apricot, LE RT 2016, Barbershop Italian). 

Cyril realized a few months ago or it explains that to succeed in mounting a foam with an LPL, it is necessary to work the foam 60 to 90 seconds at least.

I think that you do not work your foam enough and that you add too much water before it is sufficiently whipped. This explains why your foam is actually too overhead.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 05:46 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-03-2017, 10:35 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Do you own the 98 gram version or the 200 gram version ?

I have the 98 gm SS container

60 1,599
 03-04-2017, 06:02 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-04-2017, 04:32 AM)PapySnake Wrote: it is necessary to work the foam 60 to 90 seconds at least.

I suggest this for every "soap".
I can't imagine loading any soap less than 60 seconds, except the very very very softest, where you could literally poke your finger straight through it, such as Latha and CRSW Original. Even with these 2 I probably still load(ed) for almost a minute.
And I never start with a dripping wet brush, damp works every time, just add water during loading a little at a time.

59 2,810
 03-04-2017, 06:05 AM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 06:02 AM)Nero Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 04:32 AM)PapySnake Wrote: it is necessary to work the foam 60 to 90 seconds at least.

I can't imagine loading any soap less than 60 seconds, except the very very very softest, where you could literally poke your finger straight through it, such as Latha and CRSW Original. Even with these 2 I probably still load(ed) for almost a minute.
And I never start with a dripping wet brush, damp works every time, just add water during loading a little at a time.

No, it is not the loading of the shaving brush that lasts 60 to 90 seconds (10 to 15 rounds are large enough on a soap), it is the minimum working time of assembly of the foam in bowl or on the face.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 06:19 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-03-2017, 10:39 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Do you use tap water and if so, is it hard or soft water?

I do use tap water, however it goes through a water softener.

60 1,599
 03-04-2017, 06:55 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-04-2017, 04:32 AM)PapySnake Wrote: Hello,

Cyril realized a few months ago or it explains that to succeed in mounting a foam with an LPL, it is necessary to work the foam 60 to 90 seconds at least.

I think that you do not work your foam enough and that you add too much water before it is sufficiently whipped. This explains why your foam is actually too overhead.
Thank you. 

This morning.  I put additional time into loading the brush (Beehive 1) and much additional time into working the lather.  It is better.  It is not as easy to create a satisfactry lather as I am expecting.  However, I will continue to work with it.

60 1,599
 03-04-2017, 06:58 AM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 06:55 AM)MaxP Wrote:

Thank you. 

This morning.  I put additional time into loading the brush (Beehive 1) and much additional time into working the lather.  It is better.  It is not as easy to create a satisfactry lather as I am expecting.  However, I will continue to work with it.

Do not worry, you'll see, the more you practice and the better your foam Smile

0 210
 03-04-2017, 09:50 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-04-2017, 06:05 AM)PapySnake Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 06:02 AM)Nero Wrote:

No, it is not the loading of the shaving brush that lasts 60 to 90 seconds (10 to 15 rounds are large enough on a soap), it is the minimum working time of assembly of the foam in bowl or on the face.

Sorry, I did misinterpret what you had wrote.  YMMV on the loading time then I guess Smile

59 2,810
 03-04-2017, 10:09 AM
User Info
no problem, it is the interest of a discussion.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 10:24 AM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 05:46 AM)MaxP Wrote:
(03-03-2017, 10:35 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Do you own the 98 gram version or the 200 gram version ?

I have the 98 gm SS container

This could cause the problem.

I got rid of mine and only own LPL in 200 gram containers (exception being Dandy which is in a 125 gram container)

You need proper space to load from, which is why I avoid all small container soaps, even Savon des Volcans and Brutalt Bra.
Hate small containers.

24 5,965
 03-04-2017, 10:26 AM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 10:24 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Hate small containers.

I agree, i also prefer 200 grams containers.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 11:52 AM
User Info
The one I have the most trouble lathering is the Lavender Vetiver. I have one Shavemac brush that I can't get to lather this soap. I don't know if it's the knot shape, density, loft or what. Other brushes, especially my Envy White work fine. All that being said, start loading LPL with as little water as possible and slowly add more. If you get too much water in the lather, it'll die

2 328
 03-04-2017, 12:00 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Interesting thread. I bought my first LPL a few years ago and found it an excellent soap.
I bought another one - same original formula in the 200g tin - and it did not work for me at all. Sold it.
Life is too short to deal with overly complex lather making...

37 1,862
 03-04-2017, 12:05 PM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 11:52 AM)Pfirnett Wrote: The one I have the most trouble lathering is the Lavender Vetiver. I have one Shavemac brush that I can't get to lather this soap. I don't know if it's the knot shape, density, loft or what. Other brushes, especially my Envy White work fine. All that being said, start loading LPL with as little water as possible and slowly add more. If you get too much water in the lather, it'll die

Try to soak your shaving brush before loading it on your LPL. It may be a solution as the shavemac are denser.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 12:10 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
(03-04-2017, 06:55 AM)MaxP Wrote:

Thank you. 

I face lather with LPL. I used to have similar problems with the lather after the first pass until I started making a couple of additional swirls (literally 2-3) from the container in between the passes. Since then the lather stays slick, voluminous, and dense throughout the entire shave (3 passes plus clean up).

113 1,495