03-04-2017, 10:43 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
In alphabetical order.

These are two of the brands I like. They have some things in common, they're both French soaps for example, but they differ as well.

So I'll try to keep things simple.

Lather: SDV. It's easier to make one with this soap, it lasts longer and it looks better.
Protection: SDV. The lather is more protective, there are times I forget there's a blade in the razor.
Scent: No winner here. However, SDV Lavande Orange is intoxicating.
Post- shave properties: SDV. When using this soap, my skin feels like I never shaved, it's smooth without any irritation or redness.
Hydration: SDV. A balm or a tonic is not necessary when I use it. It contains donkey milk after all.
Price: SDV. And it is cheaper than LPL. In Europe, the SDV costs 18 euros per 150g in a plastic bowl, while the refill of LPL costs 15 per 100g. Also, SDV is a hard soap and it lasts a lot longer than LPL that's a soft soap. So, we're talking about a real bargain.

I do believe that SDV is overall a better soap. It's like an upgraded version of LPL.

If you have tried both, what's your opinion?

49 1,938
 03-04-2017, 12:43 PM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
I agree Nick, but will add that the LPL tallow formula is much closer. The only one I have is the TSN Oud-Santal and it performs very well. I like the SdV scents a lot, the simpler, milder scents that the French are so good at, but LPL Rose de Pushkar is my favorite rose scent.

Rose, oud, and sandlewood all go well together so I'm thinking about doing a 'superfragrance' here!

Cheers, Steve

7 466
 03-04-2017, 12:52 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I think the tallow LPL soaps, SDV, and SDM are all excellent French soaps, and it would be easy for any one of them to someone's personal favorite. I enjoy them all.

38 5,029
 03-04-2017, 01:02 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I've tried the tallow LPL a few times, a friend lent it to me. It was closer to the performance of the SDV, indeed. French soaps are great performers and I'm very satisfied with them. Even the vegan version of LPL is better than some tallow soaps, in my honest opinion.

49 1,938
 03-04-2017, 01:27 PM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 12:43 PM)Steve56 Wrote: I agree Nick, but will add that the LPL tallow formula is much closer. The only one I have is the TSN Oud-Santal and it performs very well. I like the SdV scents a lot, the simpler, milder scents that the French are so good at, but LPL Rose de Pushkar is my favorite rose scent.

Rose, oud, and sandlewood all go well together so I'm thinking about doing a 'superfragrance' here!

Cheers, Steve

Whether it is LPL with tallow or Lainess, these shaving soaps designed by Cyril recently are of very high level. 
Vegetable LPL has improved markedly since it inserted the shea butter in its formula, which is not always the case.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 02:28 PM
User Info
SDV would be a favourite of mine, if they came in a better bowl/presentation or if they were easy to remove from the bowl and put them in a new container.

Since they aren't, SDV is no longer part of my collection.

To be honest, SDV is not for me a better overall shaving soap, than LPL.
But SDV is fantastic, but so is LPL for me.

After going back and forth between LPL Tallow and non-tallow, I think both LPL versions are fantastic.

If SDV came in a worthy pot, I would love it.
When you can't remove the soap from the plastic pot, presentation is key.
If I could remove it with ease from the original crappy flimsy joke of a container with labels flying off, that you have to superglue on, presentation of SDV would be almost non-important.

24 5,839
 03-04-2017, 02:33 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
For some reason and after having shaved with the Lavande Orange many times, I can now remove it from the bowl very easily. It was really hard to remove it when I first bought it, I agree.

49 1,938