03-04-2017, 05:48 PM
User Info
Okay, so, here is the plan:  I had been contemplating reducing my set-up to just one of everything, then, I found a thread on this forum suggesting the same, asking what would your set-up be if you had to choose just one.  I had a rotation of three razor blades, at the time.  This thread compelled me to reflect upon this, and, I decided that I should limit my razor blade choice to just one, but, I was dissatisfied with two of the three blades I was then using.  So, I slowly picked one blade out of those three, but, it now has five challengers, as, I want to be absolutely sure. 

I am going to do three passes, and, change blades for the right, and, left sides of my face.  This gives me the chance to test all six blades in one shave, at one half-pass per blade.  

Here are the contenders:

Gillette Nacet vs. Astra Super Stainless (Pass One)
Sharp Stainless (International) vs. Bic Chromium Platinum (Pass Two)
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless vs. Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Pass Three)

I am resisting the urge to pick a favourite.  I like the Sharp Edges and the Super Stainless, but, I am glad I am trying this.  

Out of these six blades, I will choose a favourite:  one to use forever, and, ever. 

Okay, so, make your predictions, and, I shall shave in the morning, and, let everyone know once I have made my decision.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
I had already ruled out Merkur, Timor, several types of Persona, every type of Lord, a couple of types of Treet, Gillette Silver Blue, Astra Super Platinum, and, a few others:  Ladkis, Big Ben, Laser, and, Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinums, the entire Gillette 7 O'Clock line from India, Derby Stainless, Derby Platinum, and, others, I think, but, those are all I can recall, right now. ETA: In the past few years, I have also tried, and, decided against Permasharp 7 AM, Shark, Gillette Platinum, and, the Gillette blade in the pink packaging.  I am very excited for this experiment tomorrow morning. EATA: Polsilvers, too, and, a few others.

0 210
 03-04-2017, 06:14 PM
User Info
One blade forever and ever is a long time.  Pick wisely. 

Back in the day when virtually all men used DE's, I imagine they used on blade brand all the time.

40 4,292
 03-05-2017, 10:40 AM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 06:14 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: One blade forever and ever is a long time.  Pick wisely. 

Back in the day when virtually all men used DE's, I imagine they used on blade brand all the time.

I have chosen wisely, indeed.  

The Nacets and Sharps were the worst, Nacets might be slightly better, but, are too smooth (dull) for my face.  

The Astra Super Stainless, and, the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge are on the next tier up.  Much better, but, still not exactly what I want in a razor blade. 

The Bic Chromium Platinum are some of the best blades being produced.  

The Gillette 7'O Clock Super Stainless also share this honor.  

Basically, it came down to face feel.  The 7 O'Clock Super Stainless felt better than did the Sharp Edges, on my face.  Same with the Astras, and, Bics.  The Bics slightly edge out the Astras, which, in turn, are slightly out-edged by the Super Stainless from the 7 O'Clock series.  Some say the Astras are identical, but, I disagree.  There are slight differences.  Basically, even though they are produced at the same plant, they were designed by different companies, different business units.  So, they are different, though the differences are minimal.  

I really enjoyed the Bic Chromium Platinums.  If I had not tried the Super Stainless, again, I would have gone with these.   

Although, in the end....

THE WINNER IS

The Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Razor Blades.  

I have decided to hang out to the Nacets and Silver Blues, just for sentimental purposes, keeping them in the bathroom.  

It feels good to have 'my' razor blade.  

If the store is ever out, I can get the Bics, or, Astras, but, my brand, now, and, forever more, is the Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless.  Perfection.

0 210
 03-05-2017, 11:13 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-05-2017, 10:40 AM)Quando Wrote:
(03-04-2017, 06:14 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: One blade forever and ever is a long time.  Pick wisely. 

And you were able to make a full evaluation of six different blades within the course of one three-pass shave, comparing and contrasting blades that, for instance, you used only during the first pass with blades that you used only during the third pass — and you have sufficient confidence in your hastily arrived at conclusion that the winner of your trial will be the only blade that you will use “forever”?  My personal take (link) on that style of evaluation is on record on this forum, so I refer you only to the linked thread.  

Congratulations; you have my best wishes.  

0 955
 03-05-2017, 01:07 PM
User Info
(03-05-2017, 11:13 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 10:40 AM)Quando Wrote:

And you were able to make a full evaluation of six different blades within the course of one three-pass shave, comparing and contrasting blades that, for instance, you used only during the first pass with blades that you used only during the third pass — and you have sufficient confidence in your hastily arrived at conclusion that the winner of your trial will be the only blade that you will use “forever”?  My personal take (link) on that style of evaluation is on record on this forum, so I refer you only to the linked thread.  

Congratulations; you have my best wishes.  
Thank you for the kind wishes.

Perhaps, I was a bit unclear.  I have used all of these razor blades, several times, previous to this experiment.  I have narrowed down to six of my favourites, some of which were in my regular rotation, others not quite as often.  

I was looking for just one, and, had settled into a rotation.  I was reminded of my "quest" by the thread about "what if you just had one set-up forever."  

So, I have, now, as of today, eliminated all but one type of razor blade, from the rotation.  So, basically, I am down to one of everything.  I ordered a brush, and, am waiting for it to come in.  Once that is here, it will be my forever brush.  

Same with the razor, soap, cream, pre-shave, after shave, etc.  I have it all the same.  I like it this way.  I want it this way.

ETA:  I read the linked post, and, agree somewhat.  However, after trying a few blades, since this is so subjective, after all, one may be able to discern which blade he likes.  I really liked the head-to-head feeling of the shave from this morning.  I thought the Bics, or, possibly, the Sharp Edges would have won, but, no, it was the Super Stainless.  My favourite.  So, I will use them forever.  I kept coming back to them, when I was rotating, so, I will stick with just one.

0 210
 03-11-2017, 01:35 PM
User Info
Okay, so, an informed shaver is a happy shaver.  The differences between 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge and 7 O'Clock Super Stainless are minimal.  They are basically the same blade.  The Sharp Edge is honed a bit longer, and, is coated.  That is all.  I used Super Stainless all week, except one day, just to be sure.  I am going to use the Super Stainless tomorrow morning.  With my last shave being Thursday morning, this will be three full days of growth.  This will determine if the extra honing, and, coating, are required.

0 210
 03-14-2017, 03:28 AM
User Info
Well, I have to say, that, I am going to go with the Sharp Edge blades, at least, for the rest of this week.  I may try the Merkur Platinums, again.  Although, everyone seems to agree this blade is less than optimal.  Still, it makes sense to me that a German made blade would be naturally superior to a Russian made one.  Although, this is an old predjudice, and, should probably be abandoned.

0 210
 03-14-2017, 09:26 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-14-2017, 03:28 AM)Quando Wrote: Still, it makes sense to me that a German made blade would be naturally superior to a Russian made one. 

What “makes sense” introduces a mystery undeterminable factor into a decision, and should not be allowed to dominate.  So far as nationalities of DE razor blades go, the consensus ordering of quality goes:  

1.  Japanese (both brands);
  2.  Russian (both large manufacturers);
  3.  (tie) Indian, Israeli, USA;
  4. everybody else.

0 955
 03-15-2017, 02:55 PM
User Info
(03-14-2017, 09:26 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 03:28 AM)Quando Wrote: Still, it makes sense to me that a German made blade would be naturally superior to a Russian made one. 

What “makes sense” introduces a mystery undeterminable factor into a decision, and should not be allowed to dominate.  So far as nationalities of DE razor blades go, the consensus ordering of quality goes:  

1.  Japanese (both brands);
  1.  Russian (both large manufacturers);
  2.  (tie) Indian, Israeli, USA;
  3. everybody else.

Yeah, well, either way.  The Russian made ones were both better for a few days growth than as an everyday razor blade.  And, I need an everyday razor blade, not an every-other, or, every three days.  

If personal prejudice should be rejected in logical decision making (and, it should) then, so should consensus opinion, unless those giving the opinions are personally known, and, respected, by the one who is deciding.  

So, on that note, a friend recommended Merkur, and, that seems logical, sense they made the razor, and, were in the rotation up until I decided to get rid of the rotation, so, I feel I owe it to myself to try them, again, one last time, just to be sure. 

Both 7 O'Clocks worked really well on two, or, three days growth.  But, the next shave was razor burn city, on both of them.

0 210