03-04-2017, 09:00 PM
User Info
G'day Nookie Straight Razors and Shavettes,

I'm asking to all wet shavers who used either a straight razor or shavette, how long does it take you to master your non-dominant hand while using either a straight razor or a shavette be honest with me while I'm learning to used a IBC shavette.

Cheers.

0 144
 03-04-2017, 11:28 PM
User Info
(03-04-2017, 09:00 PM)SpeedyPC Wrote: G'day Nookie Straight Razors and Shavettes,

I'm asking to all wet shavers who used either a straight razor or shavette, how long does it take you to master your non-dominant hand while using either a straight razor or a shavette be honest with me while I'm learning to used a IBC shavette.

Cheers.

I've been shaving with a straight at least twice a week for a year. I think how soon shaving with the non dominant hand becomes comfortable is highly individual. For example, I've been playing guitar for many years and type with both hands. With some people I guess, the dominant hand is more dominant than others. My own person experience, it is still  substantially easier with the dominant hand, but I think I could get a comfortable shave after 2/3 months.

1 97
 03-05-2017, 07:14 AM
User Info
I began using my weak hand from the first shave and it took a couple of weeks. So about fourteen shaves.

5 275
 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM
User Info
I'm very right hand dominant. At first, it was really clumsy, but I was surprised by how quickly things improved. "Mastery," well, that's a different matter. Not sure how many people ever get there. But I was functional after a couple of weeks of daily shaving. I still use the right as much as possible.

0 31
 03-05-2017, 02:18 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Some people are able to shave using only their dominant hand. However, I started using my non-dominant hand from day one, as it's much easier to see the blade when shaving certain areas of the face. I was moderately comfortable using it after a couple of weeks of daily use, and very comfortable after about a month. I only use my non-dominant hand for about 1/4 the shave. Eventually, you'll figure out whichever technique works best for you.

38 4,938
 03-05-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
When I first started several years ago with a straight it felt very awkward but now it's much much easier.

6 1,158
 03-05-2017, 04:20 PM
User Info
I'm right handed and began using my left hand on my first straight razor shave.  This was some years ago, but my recollection is that it took about 30 days to feel comfortable with the straight in my left hand.  I think it's a very individual thing, just like the length of time it takes to become proficient with a straight.

41 5,076
 03-05-2017, 11:57 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the feedback guys which has really help me a lot while I'm trying and learning to used an IBC shavette with my non-dominant hand left.

Cheers

0 144
 03-06-2017, 12:28 AM
User Info
I use a Dovo shavette probably once a month or so. I am also extremely right hand dominant. Once I made up my mind that I wanted to use both hands it took 15-20 shaves probably to get proficient. I do not know that I will ever master it.

1 143
 03-06-2017, 10:24 AM
  • doc47
  • Northern Arizona
User Info
LOL! I only use my right hand. I have no interest in using my left hand and its always been that way. I do just fine with one hand.

4 484
 03-06-2017, 07:15 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(03-06-2017, 10:24 AM)doc47 Wrote: LOL! I only use my right hand. I have no interest in using my left hand and its always been that way. I do just fine with one hand.

It must be just us. The thought of using my left absolutely scared me. I've tried writing my name with my left hand. I believe holding a sharp blade to my face with my left hand will be much messier.

So there's at least one (dominant hand only).

Do I have to use my nondominant hand? What's the advantage?

71 1,138
 03-06-2017, 08:49 PM
User Info
I think the advantage is that you can see better for some spots. I know my hand blocks by view on some of the back hand spots.

1 143
 03-09-2017, 08:45 PM
User Info
fortunately, I'm pretty ambidextrous....I started with a hair razor....still I only have to do one pass....and have no whiskers...chicks do that

so, maybe a few shaves...rocking gold dollars and 3/8 straights....

28 100
 03-18-2017, 08:23 PM
User Info
Hey y'all,
New to the site; been using a straight almost a year now...wet DE shaver before that.

Try doing other minor tasked switched up (or 'goofy') like:

Swapping your fork/knife around.
Unlocking the front/car drop-non dominat.
Brushing/combing your hair

Basically using your non dominat to minimal tasks that aren't as intimidating as putting a highly honed SR to your face/neck.

Cheer,
Jer

0 54
 03-27-2017, 03:17 PM
User Info
I fell into using both hands pretty quickly.  Doing a right handed WTG on my left cheek while giving a stretch with the left hand felt to me like a bump of the blade by my free hand waiting to happen.

At least you are assured of your full concentration to the task so gaining the skill with the nondom hand will be a motivation!

9 50
 04-10-2017, 06:16 AM
User Info
Bumping this thread after noticing the other day that my non-dominant left hand has a couple of strokes (mainly ATG) that are actually closer shaves than my right.
Only took 8 months, but the comfort level is pretty high now to the point I'm getting better results.  My guess is I had to concentrate more with the left and the muscle memory has imprinted a little better technique (that's the bad...time to really concentrate on the basics with my right).

0 54
 04-10-2017, 06:48 AM
User Info
It to a couple of weeks of using a straight to sort of get the hang of it.  It has been almost a year since I started using straight razors pretty much 100% of the time and I think I am still improving with my dominant hand.

4 462
 04-10-2017, 07:17 AM
User Info
I'm right handed but I started using my left hand from day one, I find it just as easy to use both hands.

10 1,900
 04-10-2017, 09:34 AM
User Info
I had been shaving straight with my dominant hand for quite a long time (years) when I first tried my left hand. No go. More trouble than it was worth. Then a guy on another forum posted that if you take a dull razor, a razor with tape over the edge, or a shavette with no blade, and practice with the non dominant hand while watching TV, relaxing sitting in a chair. Your muscle memory will kick in and it will become much easier to do. So that is how I became proficient with shaving with my non dominant hand. Really worked for me. Give it a shot.

4 149
 04-10-2017, 09:51 AM
User Info
Mastery?  Not sure if I 'mastered' my dominant hand yet!

As for getting a passable shave.  About a month, but I FORCE myself to use my non dominant hand for the second pass.

17 596