03-05-2017, 06:50 AM
User Info
Dear gents;

This week my boss finally approved my vacations for this year. I will be taking the kids to central Mexico in mid july.

Therefore, i started practicing. My lady gave me a bag, perfect for the shaving stuff. So we went to Fajardo to take our sailboat out to the spanish virgin islands.

I took: proraso red preshave; shannon's silk pillamas tallow soap; a pure badger brush; merkur 41C 1904; kai blade; brut aftershave; bumbury balm.

[Image: 6704881fcb375304e61cb2e25b42ba68.jpg]

The wind was blowing in excess of 30 knots, so we stayed all weekend safely in Marina Puerto Chico.

[Image: 9af21a03b338ab4d1ef3bde708aa62c8.jpg]

Saturday morning came about and i finally had the opportunity to shave with a small mirror in my hand. Although i was not in the desert, didnt shave with a bowie knife and i am not Clint Eastwood, it was like a dream come true. I have been watching too many westerns lately. Jajaja.

[Image: 3812b5f0072a8d6b8ea0b0c48db4722a.jpg]

The save was amazing. It was done in the middle of a Pelican's breakfast buffet. They were diving from 50 feet in the air all around me, sitting in the cockpit of my boat.

A couple of weeks ago i posted a thread about wet shaving and traveling. Some of the guys said that they never brought anything irreplaceable with them. So i brought my Merkur 41C.

I had a really nice surprise. I shaved with it a few times, but never with a kai blade. Keeping up with Meles' approach not to quit anything too soon, i kept it in the rotation. I still think that it is too mild for me, and that you almost dont feel the balde at all. So i did a five pass shave. North to south. South to north, east to west, west to east and a diagonal. What a surprise. It was an amazing 10 hours bbs. No weepers. No irritation. I still dont like the fact that some light pressure has to be used, but that is a preference of mine. The fact remains the same: it is a good shaver.

The moral of the thing is that everything is relative. The combinations are endless. And most importantly: technique is supreme.

Best for all,

Pepe Peña

P. D. Greetings to all my friends in Idaho, Colorado, Canada, New Mexico, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 478
 03-05-2017, 07:34 AM
User Info
Congrats, thanks for the story.  Looks like you have a good travel setup, although carrying around that sailboat in your kit might be a little tough!   Wink

13 1,058
 03-05-2017, 08:02 AM
User Info
Cool story and post Pepe.  Glad to see you enjoying life in beautiful Puerto Rico.

Did you use hot water during your shave?

43 5,474
 03-05-2017, 08:07 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
For travel I rely on a Shavematic travel brush, (Folds up small and dries quickly) or a Simpson Wee Scott in an old prescription bottle. Small tube of Bigalow shave cream, Witch Hazel wipes, Meisner solid after shave balm (last 2 avoid liquid regulations and finally a cheap $20 injectable razor. So far They have been letting me fly with it. I think the inspectors believe it to be a cartrage. If they take it away someday it will be no big loss.

67 1,032
 03-08-2017, 02:00 PM
User Info
(03-05-2017, 08:07 AM)Barrylu Wrote: For travel I rely on a Shavematic travel brush, (Folds up small and dries quickly) or a Simpson Wee Scott in an old prescription bottle. Small tube of Bigalow shave cream, Witch Hazel wipes, Meisner solid after shave balm (last 2 avoid liquid regulations and finally a cheap $20 injectable razor. So far They have been letting me fly with it. I think the inspectors believe it to be a cartrage. If they take it away someday it will be no big loss.

dear barry;

i am definitely going for the wipes and the meisner. Already have the bigalow.

do you think that a little olive oil (´stolen´ from the kitchen) can do the job of the pre shave?

thank you very much,

Pepe Peña

0 478
 03-08-2017, 02:11 PM
User Info
(03-05-2017, 08:02 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Cool story and post Pepe.  Glad to see you enjoying life in beautiful Puerto Rico.

Did you use hot water during your shave?

dear ricardo;

no, i did not use any hot water during this shave.  the fact is that i only worry about that eeeevery once in a while, when i want to have a memorable shave.  i put out the g-20 and all.  but the fact is that here in Puerto Rico it is summer all year round.  i know that you being from miami feel toasty compared with our friends from further north.  you get nice weather for most of the year.  here is outright hot.  what i mean to say is that the difference (between hot and cold water shave) -here in the middle of the caribbean- is not as big as it is in other places, and that the norther you go, the bigger the difference.  you can estimate the temperature from the sweat in my brow...  shavewise, is like using hot water.

try it some time, an outdoor shave in the peak of the summer, 2:30 pm, in miami beach.  its a good experiment.

best for you brother,

Pepe Peña

0 478
 03-08-2017, 03:22 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(03-08-2017, 02:00 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(03-05-2017, 08:07 AM)Barrylu Wrote: For travel I rely on a Shavematic travel brush, (Folds up small and dries quickly) or a Simpson Wee Scott in an old prescription bottle. Small tube of Bigalow shave cream, Witch Hazel wipes, Meisner solid after shave balm (last 2 avoid liquid regulations and finally a cheap $20 injectable razor. So far They have been letting me fly with it. I think the inspectors believe it to be a cartrage. If they take it away someday it will be no big loss.

dear barry;

i am definitely going for the wipes and the meisner. Already have the bigalow.

do you think that a little olive oil (´stolen´ from the kitchen) can do the job of the pre shave?

thank you very much,

Pepe Peña
If you are flying keep liquids under the allowed number of ozs. You can transfer your shaving oil into an empty plastic bottle which will hold the required amount of shave oil. They sell small plastic bottles in the Pharmacy. That is the reason I use the wipes it does not count toward your liquid limit.

67 1,032
 03-19-2017, 08:38 PM
User Info
Looks like a great time! Your dome and fu man chu are looking good! I travel with cartridge razor so I admire your style. Wink

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 57
 03-20-2017, 03:19 AM
User Info
(03-19-2017, 08:38 PM)cyjazz Wrote: Looks like a great time! Your dome and fu man chu are looking good! I travel with cartridge razor so I admire your style. Wink

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Thank you mr. Jazz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 478