03-05-2017, 10:51 PM
User Info
Hi everyone. I'm a new member here but have been lurking for a bit. Felt it was time to join and share some of my thoughts and input on various threads around the nook. 

I've also read the BST rules and seen threads in the past about unethical people reselling. I do have a question for the future to see what shave nook members here think.

I know it is wrong to buy an item and then resell it (for profit, nothing wrong with changing your mind). My question is different, mostly pertaining to unobtanium. I know some sellers who have rare stuff and they won't sell, they'll only trade for other rare items. If you see a rare item go up for sale here (tradere, bbs-1, UFO, Triad, Wolfman, Wiborg, m&f, rare soaps, etc.), is it unethical to buy it knowing you'll just be buying it to trade? What if a seller offers a UFO handle for sale here and I bought it and offer it for trade the next week for an item I have had 0 luck buying. Is that seen as shady business here? 

I'm only asking because I don't want to harm this community or do anything that isn't gentlemanly so i'd like to hear the consensus on this first. It's difficult getting unobtainium items, so when one does go up for sale sometimes it's your best shot at trading it for what you want.

Thanks for your time. I'm interested in opinions here.

0 27
 03-05-2017, 11:55 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Hmm, I think it's a bit borderline, that one. Profiting isn't only about financial gain, but at the same time, there is something to be said for personal satisfaction. The scenario you discuss, though, sounds a bit like intentional wheeling and dealing. I say no. Others may hold a different view.

0 1,707
 03-06-2017, 04:39 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
"Unethical people" is a harsh word.

Just an opinion of mine.

49 1,887
 03-06-2017, 07:40 AM
User Info
If you are buying something purely with the intent of trading it or reselling it later, I think that's a violation of the "spirit" of the BST.  The first sentence of the BST rules post is "The Shave Nook likes to think that we are buying and trading among friends and fellow wet shaving enthusiasts."  While there is no specific prohibition against what you are asking about (if I have gotten the concept right), a plain language reading of this sentence reveals, at least to me, that such behavior would be not be something that friends and fellow enthusiasts would do.   I have always advocated a "caveat emptor" approach combined with a trust in TSN members, so if you feel like its a violation of the spirit of the BST without violating a specific rule, I would not do it.  

However if you bought something because you were interested in using it, never used it, and then decided to offer it up in trade for something else, I see nothing wrong with that because your intent when you acquired the original item was in keeping with the spirit of the BST.  Even if you held on to the item for a short period of time, got buyer's remorse, etc., all of that is fine because you didn't have the violative intent when you acquired it.

83 1,500
 03-06-2017, 08:00 AM
User Info
I personally see no issue with buying a handle off someone and then trading said handle for something else as long as all parties are in the know and have no issues. The seller of the handle received the asking price and the trade was considered or made fair by both parties for the trade to even be agreed on. It was not done for profit.

I personally wanted an item that was in a BST from a member that was only looking to trade. Another member in that same BST had said item but was only interested in selling. Both items were of equal value so I arranged a deal that I purchased the one item, had it shipped to the other member, and in exchange received the item I wanted. I personally find nothing wrong with that and all parties came out how they wanted and happy.

That's just me and my opinion.

144 3,398
 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM
User Info
My intent would be no monetary gain. It would simply be to have an item worth reading for another. 

From some responses, I think it would be best to just let the seller know first. "Hi seller, I'm willing to buy your X item in hopes of trading it for Y in the future, would that be alright with you?"

This might be the best approach. Not reselling for monetary gain, and letting the seller know your intent.

0 27
 03-06-2017, 09:00 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(03-06-2017, 08:49 AM)ChrisE Wrote: My intent would be no monetary gain. It would simply be to have an item worth reading for another. 

From some responses, I think it would be best to just let the seller know first. "Hi seller, I'm willing to buy your X item in hopes of trading it for Y in the future, would that be alright with you?"

This might be the best approach. Not reselling for monetary gain, and letting the seller know your intent.

That can't happen. When you decide to buy an item, you don't know that you will probably trade it for another in the future.

And why this has to be unethical?

49 1,887
 03-06-2017, 09:21 AM
User Info
(03-06-2017, 09:00 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(03-06-2017, 08:49 AM)ChrisE Wrote: My intent would be no monetary gain. It would simply be to have an item worth reading for another. 

That can't happen. When you decide to buy an item, you don't know that you will probably trade it for another in the future.

And why this has to be unethical?

I don't believe it is unethical, however I wanted to check with the community first. Everyone has different opinions. And it's possible to know that you want to trade in the future. What if someone you know has an item you want but they are seeking a specific item only. Then you see that item go for sale. You could buy it knowing you are planning on trading it the next day. The way I see it, everyone would get what they want in the transaction.

However, I'm still seeking consensus here to know what the Nook thinks of this practice. In my opinion there is no harm, especially if being up front with everyone.

0 27
 03-06-2017, 09:36 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I personally think that these items should be used and enjoyed by enthusiasts versus being bought to be stashed away as trade bait.  But I also believe in open marketplaces so I have no issues with it.  It's a personal choice.

Eric

46 866
 03-06-2017, 09:47 AM
User Info
Honestly there is not an item I can think of that I have not had an oppertuniry to buy at one time or another. With a bit of patience and dealing with the right gents items can be had and at fair prices to boot.

57 1,365
 03-06-2017, 10:47 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-06-2017, 08:00 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I personally see no issue with buying a handle off someone and then trading said handle for something else as long as all parties are in the know and have no issues. The seller of the handle received the asking price and the trade was considered or made fair by both parties for the trade to even be agreed on. It was not done for profit.

I personally wanted an item that was in a BST from a member that was only looking to trade. Another member in that same BST had said item but was only interested in selling. Both items were of equal value so I arranged a deal that I purchased the one item, had it shipped to the other member, and in exchange received the item I wanted. I personally find nothing wrong with that and all parties came out how they wanted and happy.

I'm in agreement with this.  As long as the deal is transparent to all involved.

52 1,532
 03-06-2017, 11:05 AM
User Info
(03-06-2017, 09:47 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: Honestly there is not an item I can think of that I have not had an oppertuniry to buy at one time or another. With a bit of patience and dealing with the right gents items can be had and at fair prices to boot.

I see your point as well. I've seen sellers offer items as trade only... But if I haven't even tried to post a WTB ad then I guess you're right, it's always possible to find a seller. 

I appreciate all the feedback so far. Very valuable input.

0 27
 03-06-2017, 11:11 AM
User Info
(03-06-2017, 08:00 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: I personally see no issue with buying a handle off someone and then trading said handle for something else as long as all parties are in the know and have no issues. The seller of the handle received the asking price and the trade was considered or made fair by both parties for the trade to even be agreed on. It was not done for profit.

I think this is totally fine (if anyone is concerned about my opinion).  There was something I couldn't quite put my finger on earlier that this response has given voice to for me; the difference here is that everyone is going into the transaction with eyes wide open.  The problem with the earlier idea (i.e. buying item A knowing you are going to trade for item B), is that the seller of item A doesn't know you are going to turn around and trade immediately.  After all according to the BST, the seller isn't obligated to sell to the highest or first bidder and may choose he/she may sell to.  So at that point they can control to whom the item goes and maybe they don't want it traded immediately.  Or they couldn't care less (most likely) but at least they'll know.  

Ultimately, this is all small beer because everyone gets what they want (item A seller gets cash, item B seller gets item A and you get item B), but if you feel concerned enough to ask here, then maybe thats because something about the set up bothers you.  To me (being a lawyer) full disclosure is always best.

83 1,500
 03-06-2017, 12:17 PM
User Info
Don't see anything wrong with it personally.

0 130
 03-06-2017, 03:10 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I agree with @JPakstis - TSN members are "friends".

If you are discussing a "one time event" and will get a potentially favorite shaving item, great idea.  
If you are discussing a "weekly event", the answer probably would be different.

3 215
 03-06-2017, 03:49 PM
User Info
I personally would not buy something in BST with the intent of selling it at a higher price, I would however buy something that say a friend of mine was looking to get and not a member here and then just sell to him for the same price i paid, now with that said i might be inclined to buy something to try and if it did not work out I would sell at the same or lower price, i look at this as a rental fee, case in point, i have purchased several straights only to find out that I did not like the feel or how it shaved regardless of how good an edge i have put on it so I have listed on BST at the same price as I purchased it at and then have lowered it just to recoupe some of my investment, I look at this loss as a rental fee Biggrin

6 1,172
 03-06-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
Dear Chris;

lets say Member A is trading his UFO razor for a UFO XL badger, and only that.  and Member B has UFO XL badger, he is selling it, and does not have any interest in the UFO razor.  well, i think that if something like that happens, it would be ok to buy the UFO XL badger, just to trade it for the UFO razor that you want so bad.  you see? you are not making a profit.  you are just facilitating business.  if there is a shadow of a profit anywhere, it will be unethical and therefore off limits.  if in doubt, post an approval thread before anybody jumps!!! 

best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 469
 03-06-2017, 07:07 PM
User Info
Thanks Pepe Peña. "If in doubt, post an approval thread" sounds like good advice, that's what I'm attempting here. Smile

Anyway, thanks all for the input. Sounds like all you have to do is not be shady, don't be after profit, be open with your intentions with the seller, and all should be good.

0 27
 03-08-2017, 11:07 AM
  • Quando
  • A Diplomatic Immunity Zone
User Info
I forget which one, but, one time, a wise philosopher said something to the effect of "if you question if something is moral, or, ethical, then, it is morally questionable, at least to you, otherwise you would have no question, and, so, there is your answer."  

Basically, if you have to ask if something is wrong, then, you already know it is, you were just looking for an excuse to do it.

1 423
 03-08-2017, 12:04 PM
User Info
As long as you aren't try to 'trade up' I.e. buy an item at a lower price but trade for a more expensive item I don't see there being an issue. But with that being said I agree with those above,if you intend to just trade it you may want to give the seller a heads up because the items listed for sale here are usually listed at discounted prices for our fellow members to enjoy the item and not use it as trade bait

24 738