03-08-2017, 11:00 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
Captain 2 in Best Badger

This is visually a beautiful brush sporting a new style of handle for a Simpson platform brush.  The dimensions of the knot in my brush is approximately 25/50.  In comparing the Captain 2 with other known Simpson brushes I focused on the Duke 3 (approx. 23.5/46), a wonderful all around brush.  The new handle style of the Captain 2 provides a very handsome profile compared to the Duke 3. 

[Image: idVGxe6.jpg]    [Image: wMXTB43.jpg]     [Image: 977nAuf.jpg]

The Captain does not have the backbone that the Duke 3 has.  As shown in the photo above, the Duke 3 [on left] is denser than the Captain 2 [on right] giving the Duke 3 more backbone even with a somewhat narrower knot.  The relative sizes of the knots do not jump out due to my amateurish skill with a camera.  However, in both brushes the loft-to-width ratio of the knot is about 2 in both cases, indicating that this ratio is not the cause of the relatively diminished backbone of the Captain 2.  

Further, the Captain 2 is made from a batch of best badger that is the softest that I have ever seen in a Simpsons brush.  This unexpectedly more pliable hair further explains the diminished backbone in the Captain 2.  In fact, and I expect to get some heat for this, the Captain 2 reminds me of my two-band Thater with a fan-shaped knot.  Splayable and excellent lathering with soap or cream; and excellent lather release qualities.

In the end, I love my Simpsons collections and expect that I will love the Captain 2 as well, as long as I can accept that this particular brush is quite softer than my other Simpsons.

1 796
 03-08-2017, 11:37 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
I am also a fan of the Captain. It is really an "oversized" Emperor handle.

The one shown below is in Manchurian with moonjava handle.

Knot measures 25/52mm. The increased loft really works well with Manchurian hair. I was surprised how soft this knot is, meaning true soft tips, while still maintaining a good backbone with some scrub.

The handle is on the tall side with 68mm (M7 being 60mm). I only face lather and have no issue with its size. I am sure it truly excels at bowl lathering.

Great brush!!

[Image: Dz6Nwug.jpg]

[Image: WU1f40f.jpg]

39 1,896
 03-08-2017, 11:40 AM
User Info
I had a Captain oh so long ago and enjoyed the shape of the handle.  Now why did I sell it? Dodgy  Enjoy yours!

73 4,338
 03-08-2017, 01:56 PM
User Info
Nice review.  From the moment the Captain was released, it became one of my favorite Simpson handles.  It's elegant and refined.  I face lather exclusively and the height of the Captain is not an issue at all.

51 6,448
 03-09-2017, 04:17 AM
User Info
I also have a captain 2 in best and it is easily my favorite Simpson Brush. He best hair is indeed special, much softer than I would have expected. I exclusively face lather and have no issues with the handle.

0 57
 03-09-2017, 12:16 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
Thanks for the feedback.  TexBilly, one previous misjudgment may very easily be corrected.

I am currently readying my review on the Manchurian version of the Captain 2 that I used today for the first time.  Truly extraordinary.  German in spot on that the loft in Manchurian is superb.

Does anyone know if the Colonel 2XL will be revamped?  It was an early purchase for me, since gifted to my bro-in-law.  After all, a colonel is higher ranking than a captain!!

1 796
 03-09-2017, 02:46 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The handle looks similar to the M&F Chief. What are the differences?

7 2,361
 03-09-2017, 03:19 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(03-09-2017, 02:46 PM)Mouser Wrote: The handle looks similar to the M&F Chief. What are the differences?

More like a mix of Emperor and M7 "super sized". But all those shapes are very similar.
Biggest difference is truly the size of the handle (68mm). The knot is about 24-25mm with a loft of anywhere between 50-52mm.
Offered - so far - in either Best or Manchurian.
Probably designed for bowl lathering, the Captain works very well for face lathering as well (I do the latter only).
So, if you do not mind the tall handle it is a great brush!

39 1,896
 03-09-2017, 03:41 PM
User Info
the best hair you guys are describing. is it from a recent batch?

23 297
 03-09-2017, 08:36 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Thanks, you guys Sad I thought I was done lusting for a Simpson's Captain.

7 2,379
 03-10-2017, 01:18 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(03-09-2017, 02:46 PM)Mouser Wrote: The handle looks similar to the M&F Chief. What are the differences?

Sorry, I have no experience with the M&F Chief.

1 796
 03-10-2017, 01:23 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(03-09-2017, 03:41 PM)morecolor Wrote: the best hair you guys are describing. is it from a recent batch?

I cannot be certain b/c I have no knowledge of how frequently they obtain new batches of hair.  All I can say is that it is clearly different from older batches, and I do not know for how long they will have it.  You can contact them on their website and can expect a response.  Mark is quite decent.

1 796
 03-10-2017, 01:25 PM
User Info
^^^^^
Thanks for your reply. .
I'll  check with, Mark

23 297