03-08-2017, 12:37 PM
User Info
There is nothing like them. I have Simpson's Chubby 2 and Duke, and I far prefer my Thater bulb, especially for creams. The Thater just gives and gives and gives up the cream or soap. I have been disappointed in the Chubby 2, it's a complete lather hog. Holds a ton, but won't give it up! The face feel of the Thater is better too. Anybody else have opinions on Simpson v. Thater?

0 31
 03-08-2017, 12:42 PM
User Info
In a few words, they are fantastic.  I think I have 6 now in various sizes and shapes and they all perform flawlessly, esp. the 2-bands.  And with the current LE brush, the trend continues.  That brush has proven to be outstanding!  The big Chubbies I used to have were very nice but I'd generally agree with you comparison.  I think I'm down to a Wee Scott, Duke and Classic now.  

Now duck for cover as there are a LOT of Simpson purists here!  Tongue

73 4,269
 03-08-2017, 01:03 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Brushes don't lend themselves well for generalizations...

I really like both Simpson and Thäter brushes but they are different in various ways:

Thäter only provides two hair grades: 2 Band Finest and 3 Band silvertip. Simpson offers four hair grades (pure, best, super, manchurian), five grades if you add the old "Super 2 Band" or current "Silvertip" 2 Band.

Thäter offers basically two knot constructions: 4292 (less dense; higher loft), 4125 (more dense, but still less dense than a Chubby);
Simpson offers more than a dozen different knots in various handle combinations.

Thäter offers bulbs and fans for every hair grade. Simpson knots are specific per hair grade, i.e. Simpson "Super 2 Band " /"Silvertip comes only in bulbs. All other are fan shaped.

Bottomline, it is difficult to do an "apples-to-apples" comparison.

If to compare anything, then you may compare Thäter 3 Band vs Simpson Super in a Chubby 2 vs. 4125 size 3 or 4 (28-30)mm. Thäter 2 Band compares to the old Simpson 2 Band or current "silvertip" 2 Band.

Simpson Manchurian has no equivalent within the Thäter line-up.

[Image: 4Kt2GUy.jpg]

[Image: WARhueH.jpg]

35 1,808
 03-08-2017, 01:07 PM
User Info
(03-08-2017, 12:37 PM)AtomicDog Wrote: There is nothing like them. I have Simpson's Chubby 2 and Duke, and I far prefer my Thater bulb, especially for creams. The Thater just gives and gives and gives up the cream or soap. I have been disappointed in the Chubby 2, it's a complete lather hog. Holds a ton, but won't give it up! The face feel of the Thater is better too. Anybody else have opinions on Simpson v. Thater?

Which Thater model and which Chubby 2 hair type do you have?

48 5,717
 03-08-2017, 02:14 PM
User Info
(03-08-2017, 01:07 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(03-08-2017, 12:37 PM)AtomicDog Wrote: There is nothing like them. I have Simpson's Chubby 2 and Duke, and I far prefer my Thater bulb, especially for creams. The Thater just gives and gives and gives up the cream or soap. I have been disappointed in the Chubby 2, it's a complete lather hog. Holds a ton, but won't give it up! The face feel of the Thater is better too. Anybody else have opinions on Simpson v. Thater?

Which Thater model and which Chubby 2 hair type do you have?

I've got the Thater two band bulb in 56 mm and the Chubby 2 in best badger. I don't know what's up with the Chubby 2, just won't give back lather. The Duke is very good.

0 31
 03-08-2017, 03:01 PM
User Info
I do believe the Thater/Shavemac/Savile Row three band silvertip bulb knots have some of the best flow through in the three band category. They all seem to be on par with two bands and really do a nice job.

59 1,408
 03-08-2017, 03:25 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(03-08-2017, 03:01 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: I do believe the Thater/Shavemac/Savile Row three band silvertip bulb knots have some of the best flow through in the three band category. They all seem to be on par with two bands and really do a nice job.

Agree.

35 1,808
 03-08-2017, 05:06 PM
User Info
Your Thater and Chubby 2 are both excellent but fundamentally different brushes.  The Thater is less dense and is set to a high loft.  As a result, it has better flow and lather release.  The Chubby 2 is more dense and is set to a low loft.  As a result, it has better backbone and scrub, and that "wall of badger" feeling that the brush is known for.  It's nice to have both in your rotation.  

How long have you had your Chubby 2?  I first tried a Chubby 2 about six years ago.  At first, I had the same frustration as you regarding the lather release.  However, I stayed with it, learned to use more soap or cream, and kept on improving my lathering technique with it.  Now I own several Chubby 2's and would never be without them in my rotation.

48 5,717
 03-08-2017, 05:56 PM
User Info
(03-08-2017, 05:06 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Your Thater and Chubby 2 are both excellent but fundamentally different brushes.  The Thater is less dense and is set to a high loft.  As a result, it has better flow and lather release.  The Chubby 2 is more dense and is set to a low loft.  As a result, it has better backbone and scrub, and that "wall of badger" feeling that the brush is known for.  It's nice to have both in your rotation.  

How long have you had your Chubby 2?  I first tried a Chubby 2 about six years ago.  At first, I had the same frustration as you regarding the lather release.  However, I stayed with it, learned to use more soap or cream, and kept on improving my lathering technique with it.  Now I own several Chubby 2's and would never be without them in my rotation.

Signs011

26 984
 03-10-2017, 07:57 AM
User Info
Hey Mike -- Haven't had the Chubby 2 all that long, maybe not even a year. I have gotten frustrated with it, kind of gave up on it. I'll give it another try and improve my technique with it. It makes sense that when you have enough lather in it, well, it has to go somewhere, and that somewhere would be my face (or occasionally bowl). Thanks for the tip. I'm Andy BTW, I'm still not allowed to have a signature!  Biggrin

0 31
 03-10-2017, 08:31 AM
User Info
I find myself pulling out the big Thader 30mm 3 band when I want a spectacularly soft pillow experience, the bk 8 is close second.  that said the big majority of my den is 2 band slivertips.  I find joy in lots of different brands.  Probably my only disappointment is that I can't fully utilize all of them concurrently so many become eye candy which is another plus in itself.

73 1,262
 03-10-2017, 08:48 AM
User Info
When I had the good fortune to be picked in the Kris Kringle PIF here, I was given a choice between a Thater and a Savile Row.
It was a hard decision. I went with the Savile Row and am very happy with it -- but I'm sure I'd have been delighted with the Thater too.
Both are premium brushes.

8 896
 03-19-2017, 04:31 AM
User Info
(03-08-2017, 05:06 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Your Thater and Chubby 2 are both excellent but fundamentally different brushes.  The Thater is less dense and is set to a high loft.  As a result, it has better flow and lather release.  The Chubby 2 is more dense and is set to a low loft.  As a result, it has better backbone and scrub, and that "wall of badger" feeling that the brush is known for.  It's nice to have both in your rotation.  

Ricardo, I changed up my lathering technique per your suggestion, and now I love the Chubby 2. It's very different than any other brush in my rotation. I paint a rather dry lather on my face, rather than swirling up right away with a wet lather. After that I add the water and swirl, then paint again. Plenty of lather. It's worth noting that Simpson's recommends the painting rather than the swirling technique, but I'm accustomed, as I think many are, to swirling. In any event, the Chubby 2 is now living up to its rep.

0 31
 03-19-2017, 05:40 PM
User Info
(03-19-2017, 04:31 AM)AtomicDog Wrote:

Ricardo, I changed up my lathering technique per your suggestion, and now I love the Chubby 2. It's very different than any other brush in my rotation. I paint a rather dry lather on my face, rather than swirling up right away with a wet lather. After that I add the water and swirl, then paint again. Plenty of lather. It's worth noting that Simpson's recommends the painting rather than the swirling technique, but I'm accustomed, as I think many are, to swirling. In any event, the Chubby 2 is now living up to its rep.

I'm glad to read that you were patient and gave your Chubby 2 a chance to show you its reputation is well deserved.

48 5,717