03-10-2017, 08:08 PM
User Info
Great.  Cannot wait.

0 166
 03-13-2017, 09:53 AM
User Info
Ok Gents just got back from local post and mailed off the samples, if interested please see tracking info below for your area. Thanks again for being test subjects and look forward to seeing what you guys think.

[Image: c6wXJuY.jpg]

6 1,337
 03-13-2017, 11:46 AM
User Info
(03-10-2017, 04:43 PM)Panther308 Wrote: ...Organic Aloe Leaf Juice, Phenoxyethanol, Witch Hazel Water, Organic White Willow Bark Extract, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Polysorbate 20, Organic Alcohol, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, fragrance oil...

That's a very nice ingredient list, in my opinion.  I was intrigued by alcohol being so low on the list; it seems that many other artisan aftershaves have alcohol a lot higher.

84 1,505
 03-13-2017, 01:18 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 11:46 AM)jpakstis Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 04:43 PM)Panther308 Wrote: ...Organic Aloe Leaf Juice, Phenoxyethanol, Witch Hazel Water, Organic White Willow Bark Extract, Tea Tree Leaf Oil, Polysorbate 20, Organic Alcohol, Tetrasodium Glutamate Diacetate, fragrance oil...

That's a very nice ingredient list, in my opinion.  I was intrigued by alcohol being so low on the list; it seems that many other artisan aftershaves have alcohol a lot higher.

The content of alcohol is minimal, as we were in the process of getting this project going my son said he preferred either splash without it or a minimal amount so my trusty partner ( The Mrs ) advised we need to look at a low concentration of alcohol as alcohol has a drying affect on the skin.

6 1,337
 03-13-2017, 01:41 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 01:18 PM)Panther308 Wrote: The content of alcohol is minimal, as we were in the process of getting this project going my son said he preferred either splash without it or a minimal amount so my trusty partner ( The Mrs ) advised we need to look at a low concentration of alcohol as alcohol has a drying affect on the skin.

I'm always on the lookout for no-alcohol or very low alcohol splashes so this is very intriguing.

84 1,505
 03-15-2017, 02:03 PM
User Info
Burl sample arrived.  I'll give a report after using it.  First impressions after opening the bottle, nice scent.  A mellow, fruity sweetness.  My scent descriptions and recognition aren't expert, but I'll do my best to relay what I can.

Thanks again for the opportunity to try.

17 1,416
 03-15-2017, 02:04 PM
User Info
 03-15-2017, 08:54 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 01:18 PM)Panther308 Wrote: W
(03-13-2017, 11:46 AM)jpakstis Wrote:

The content of alcohol is minimal, as we were in the process of getting this project going my son said he preferred either splash without it or a minimal amount so my trusty partner ( The Mrs ) advised we need to look at a low concentration of alcohol as alcohol has a drying affect on the skin.
William, as the proprietor who's undoubtedly tried these a bunch do you get much of a burn/alcohol feel with the lower alcohol content? Feel free to wait to respond until the testers chime in which their feedback, I'd be interested to get your take since I figure you've gone through a few iterations. 
Thank you for offering these up to the group, I hope it's a step towards a successful product launch!

5 85
 03-16-2017, 03:50 PM
User Info
Montauk arrived today (Thursday) in Miami.  Initial scent impression is favorable.  I'll try it on Saturday's shave and assess the scent once it's on my skin.

[Image: 4vSdap3.jpg]

50 6,078
 03-16-2017, 04:09 PM
User Info
(03-15-2017, 08:54 PM) pid=\787476' Wrote:William, as the proprietor who's undoubtedly tried these a bunch do you get much of a burn/alcohol feel with the lower alcohol content? Feel free to wait to respond until the testers chime in which their feedback, I'd be interested to get your take since I figure you've gone through a few iterations. 
Thank you for offering these up to the group, I hope it's a step towards a successful product launch!

I would rather wait to see what the guys say before I comment on the low alcohol content, I am curious to get some feedback so we can get this project moving forward and see how it takes off, I have the honing on the side and hopefully will have some simple splashes to offer and the next project is beginner vintage straight razors, I guess my regular job is not enough to keep me busy Biggrin

6 1,337
 03-16-2017, 07:38 PM
User Info
Just received the montauk sample. Very nice scent. I'll post impressions after trying some after shaving tomorrow.

0 166
 03-16-2017, 07:43 PM
User Info
Received my Stockton yesterday and will report back soon.  First impression of the scent was very nice.  I like the "balm but not balm" texture so I'm looking forward to learning its post-shave qualities.

73 4,303
 03-17-2017, 08:18 AM
User Info
I received my Stockton sample Wednesday but didn't have a chance to try it out until this morning.  

The liquid is thin like water, but cloudy.  Sort of reminds me of the aftershave "milks" that St. Charles Shave makes, although those are white and this is mostly clear with a cloudy appearance.  The scent is very sweet.  It's hard for me to pick out individual fragrance notes because they blend together into what, for my nose at least, is a very sweet concoction.  Almost like caramel.  Reminds me a bit of "New Spice," which is also a St. Charles Shave product.  It's a bit woodsy on the back end and there seem to be some florals in the foreground, but blended together it's very vanilla/sweet caramel to me.  Not an unpleasant scent at all, but not what I expected. 

When my shave was over, I patted my face dry like I always do, and applied the aftershave.  It felt smooth going on, but it dried a lot more slowly than my usual splash.  So it goes through a brief period where it would be sticky if you felt your face.  Overall I'd say it probably took about 3 or 4 minutes to fully dry.  After it dried my face felt ridiculously smooth.  I suspect my other aftershaves dry down faster because they have a lot of alcohol in them.  There was also no sensation whatsoever of stinging or cooling.  I had a good shave, though, so I wouldn't expect much sting even from a high-alcohol aftershave.  My usual aftershave has a little bit of menthol in it, and I missed that a bit.  I don't like a face freeze, but a tiny bit is refreshing to me. 

So, from the outside, my face felt really soft and smooth.  From the inside, though, the skin felt a little bit tight.  Maybe because it has so much witch hazel in it?   

Anyway, over time the scent mellowed considerably and improved somewhat.  It was still sweet, but smelled a little less cloying after about 10 or 15 minutes.  Quite a nice scent after about a half hour.  

It's now about 4 hours later and I am still catching little hints of it, and they are very pleasant.  

Today was my first use; more to come, especially if my experience varies from day to day.  Thanks for the opportunity.

2 1,459
 03-17-2017, 11:00 AM
User Info
Kingfisher,

Thank you so very much for the detailed report I will add this to my notes on the witch hazel, as far as scent goes what would you like to see changed like more of one scent than another, please don't shy as we love the detailed feedback and yes the drying does take a bit longer due to the low alcohol content.

6 1,337
 03-17-2017, 03:40 PM
User Info
Received my sample of Montauk yesterday. The aftershave is thin and cloudy and has a great scent in the bottle.
This afternoon after a 3 pass shave using an aristocrat using a Wilkinson sword de blade in its 4th use.
After the shave I used around 5 or 6 drops of the aftershave. The scent on the face was very nice. There was no stinging and I did not feel any burning sensation at all.
It is now about 3 to 4 hours after I splashed it on and I still get the scent of it.
In addition my wife really loved the scent too.

0 166
 03-18-2017, 04:58 AM
User Info
Gents,

Thanks for the reviews so far and look forward to several more from others and then we plan on tweaking our formulas accordingly and running some small batches and listing for sale.

6 1,337
 03-18-2017, 08:49 AM
User Info
Used it again after this morning's shave.  Changed up just a bit by drying the face more than I usually do before applying, and also by applying a smaller amount.  Felt smooth and comfortable going on; still takes a while to dry down, but cut the drydown time in about half today.  No sensation at all with application.

Skin feel after drydown is very smooth and soft.  Today I didn't get as much tightness as yesterday; felt very comfortable.  

The scent is growing on me, but it's still too sweet.  Too much vanilla, I think, is the problem for me.  I'm allergic to sandalwood, though, so if it had a bunch more sandalwood it would make me miserable.  But overall it's still just too sweet; like cream soda atop a mild woodsy scent.  But I like it better today than I did yesterday, and it morphs into a very pleasant (although still overly sweet) scent after about 10 or 15 minutes.  Scents are subjective, though, and I can imagine somebody else begging not to tweak this one.

2 1,459
 03-18-2017, 09:02 AM
User Info
Kingfisher,

I looked at the scent balance and it's a 2:1 ratio with the vanilla being the 1 so with that said we have decided to go with a 3:1 ration which should make the vanilla less pronounced and the woody scent more pronounced have even considered adding a hint of leather in place of the reduced vanilla.

6 1,337
 03-18-2017, 09:13 AM
User Info
I'll be reporting back on my sample later today

17 1,416
 03-18-2017, 09:18 AM
User Info
(03-18-2017, 09:02 AM)Panther308 Wrote: Kingfisher,

I looked at the scent balance and it's a 2:1 ratio with the vanilla being the 1 so with that said we have decided to go with a 3:1 ration which should make the vanilla less pronounced and the woody scent more pronounced have even considered adding a hint of leather in place of the reduced vanilla.

I like this idea.  Also - I too will post my thought on the Stockton soon.  Wanted to get a second shave in to add to my feedback.

73 4,303