03-18-2017, 09:34 AM
User Info
Looks like the nor'easter wreaked havoc on the mail here so I haven't gotten my sample yet FYI. Looks like it will be here today. I've been avoiding reading others' reactions to be able to form my own. It's been tough.

83 1,500
 03-18-2017, 10:53 AM
User Info
Used it for the second time today after shaving with the timeless 0.95 oc.
Still have the same impressions. Very nice face feel without any burning. Scent is awesome.
The only thing I would suggest is to reduce the water content a little so that it is a bit less runny.
But that being said I would still buy something like this as is depending on the price.

0 130
 03-18-2017, 01:41 PM
User Info
I've just had my first go with Burl.  

Texture and coverage- Not thick at all, very liquid-y.  I don't mind that, but just need to be careful when applying.  Goes on smooth and easily with good coverage.  I used 6 drops for this first run.  I have a vandyke, so this is for cheeks and neck.  Not sticky while drying, but just a little bit of tackiness.  If Nivea ASB  is an 8 on tackiness scale, I'd say this is a 3 (scale of 1 to 10).

Scent-  Strong and sweet in bottle.  When applied, sweetness mellows and there is a bit more edge to the scent.  The Tonka predominates with a vanilla/powder scent that is somewhat sweet.  I get the herbal and orange referenced in the description more than I do the earthy/patchouli.  Pleasant on the face, lingered for several hours, and I still catch a whiff of it now and then.  Based on the description, I'd up the earthy scents and dial back the herbal and the sweet.  I still like the herbal, but would like to see more fresh/earthy/deep scents.

Alcohol/witch hazel -  No sting at all and I don't mind that.  I am a regular witch hazel user so the witch hazel in the ingredients is a plus.  Skin feels firm but not overly tight.  It dried in about the same amount of time as the balms I used.

Face feel -  Face feel is good, just below what I would expect from my go to balm -- PdP.  Face feel would likely be better if I used more, but I was concerned the scent might be to strong.  I'll give it a go tomorrow with a bit more product and see how the face feel/scent ratio goes.

Overall a great experience.  I'll post more comments as I use it more.  Thanks again William!

[Image: kCy2h4d.jpg]

13 968
 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM
User Info
We are going to adjust as suggested by several of you on adding and subtracting scents, we can adjust the water to a degree but there has to be a certain amount to get the blending down.

6 1,163
 03-18-2017, 02:59 PM
User Info
Two uses of Stockton are in the books.

I echo much of what kingfisher said (a nice review by the way) but here are my impressions so far.

First, my preferences:
  • I am definitely an aftershave splash guy and like the "bracing" effect they provide.
  • Many balms are too heavy and take my skin too long to absorb.  I've practically stopped all use of them unless I've had an especially rough shave, or, some other source of irritation (in one case, sunburn).
Now for the Stockton:
  • Scent: It’s very nice but a little on the sweet side for my taste.  I got a "medicinal caramel butterscotch" vibe.
  • The balm’s consistency is quite thin - a plus for me - and falls in the middle between a splash and a balm.  A "blash"?  A "spalm"?  For me, it absorbed pretty quickly but without the rapid, bracing effect.  No alcohol.
  • Once dry, one minute perhaps, my skin was very smooth and without the taut feeling some splashes can produce.  Nice.
  • After a few more minutes, I thought I felt a bit of irritation but there was no sign of redness or sensitivity.  I really think it was my skin being used to the numbing effect of most splashes and after a few minutes more, it disappeared.  Natural healing if that makes sense.
I’d enthusiastically support the addition of menthol - that cool zap gives me a similar bracing effect and soothes the skin quickly.  From my den, Alt Insbruuk is a great example of this (though alcohol is first on the list).  Another natural product that works well for me is the speick plant, found of course in one of my favorite splashes – Speick.  Maybe that’s an ingredient (or some other with similar makeup) worth researching?  I only suggest these knowing you probably want to avoid alcohol.

I also like the idea of tipping the scales on the vanilla ratio, and especially the idea of adding a leather note.  Those changes would add some scent richness that the Stockton lacks a bit, IMO.

I’ll keep at it and provide additional feedback as new impressions pop up.  Thanks again for the opportunity – it’s fun!

73 3,969
 03-18-2017, 05:25 PM
User Info
FYI it arrived today. Can't wait to try it.

83 1,500
 03-18-2017, 05:32 PM
User Info
So far it seems that we have to much vanilla which we have corrected, the vanilla FO is very strong so we are going to cut it down to the minimal amount and also going to add in a leather scent to the Stockton in place of the vanilla we are removing.

6 1,163
 03-19-2017, 10:38 AM
User Info
Third use of Montauk today.  I used a bit more today.  Used ToBS Eaton College with a Chubby 2 synth and Merkur Futur.  Wilkinson Sword Classic on 6th use.
I felt a little of the alcohol today but it was bracing not stinging. 

Really, really great aftershave.

0 130
 03-19-2017, 11:06 AM
User Info
Used Montauk for the first time today.

This aftershave has the consistency of water, but a whitish color which reminds me of the "milk" or balm type of aftershaves, like Trumper Skin Food in sandalwood.

[Image: anBsQUM.jpg]

I used the aftershave after a shave consisting of three passes and a touchup on the chin and upper lip.  There was no sting whatsoever, which is expected given the low alcohol content.  This raises an issue as to the market this aftershave is aimed at.  Some people have sensitive skin and will not purchase any aftershave with alcohol, even if the alcohol content is so low as to be virtually non-existent.  Those people will read labels and automatically rule out a product if they see alcohol listed.  Ironically, this product is suitable for those with sensitive skin, yet it may not get purchased by those consumers because alcohol is an ingredient.  There is not enough alcohol in there to appeal to those who like the "sting" in provides, but merely having it listed as an ingredient could cost you consumers with sensitive skin. So I'm not sure why the alcohol is there at all.  Why not remove the alcohol and market it as an alcohol free product?

The product dried quickly with no issues regarding residual stickiness.

Post shave face feel was fine, with no feeling of dryness or tightness.

I would rate the scent strength as medium, but it does linger.  I could still detect it after three hours.  I like this when I'm not applying a cologne.  However, if I am applying a cologne I would opt for an aftershave with a disappearing scent.

I found the scent itself quite nice, with the vanilla balancing out and sweetening the leather and tobacco.  I can see reducing the vanilla, but not too much because I think the sweetness it provides is one of the more appealing aspects of the scent.

I would definitely buy this product.

41 5,113
 03-19-2017, 11:33 AM
User Info
I tried the Burl last night for the first time.  In terms of consistency and efficacy, I think its spot on with what I look for in a "non-alcohol" splash.  I know that it does contain alcohol but I could not feel any burn and my face, which has a healthy dose of rosacea, did not flare up with red irritation as I do with other alcohol-based splashes.  

My face felt nicely moisturized afterward, just as well as any other aftershave I've tried from balms to splashes.  I have always liked non-alcohol splashes, because they always give the best of both worlds, and this stuff is no different.  It reminds me of Barrister & Mann's Latha splashes in that way.  The one thing that irks me about B&M Latha (and their old Kyoto) splashes is that sometimes I can sort of smell, or detect, some of the ingredients, especially the wheat bran/straw extracts (its weird, but it gives off that scent of wheat flour on my face), but that is not present here.  In fact the base is very clean and does not give off any scent of its own, just the "intended" scent.  William, I don't think you need to change the base. 

In terms of scent, I could detect the orange pretty much right away and then it faded away to that warm amber scent of the tonka especially.  In fact when I tried it last night, I had completely forgotten what the notes were.  The orange was very much present, but not in a pungent way, and I couldn't place what the "warm" note that followed it was until I re-read the profile this morning.  But it was definitely there.  I did not detect the "herbal" notes nor the patchouli but I don't have the strongest nose.  In fact, my suggestion would be to strengthen the scents a little bit more, especially the "herbal" top notes you are trying to achieve.  

I will give more impressions as I use it more.

83 1,500
 03-19-2017, 03:54 PM
User Info
Gents,

These are very detailed reviews and we sincerely appreciate it, we are making changes to the balance of scents accordingly, we wanted to add a small base of alcohol and i minuscule small to be an antiseptic agent but did not want to add much as it tends to be drying but feel we need to list it as it's an active ingredient even though it such a very tiny amount.

6 1,163
 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
User Info
I have a few more applications of Burl under my belt at this point.  I won't comment on the scent as we've discussed that and sounds like William is making some adjustments.  I've used more product with each successive application and face feel has improved.  I think I am at about 10 drops at this point and I have reached the face feel/scent barrier.  I'm pretty sure face feel will continue to improve but the scent would be too strong/lingering.

Today's shave was with an Rx and Kai mild which is typically my closest shave.  I felt a hint of the alcohol (not a bad thing) and face feel is great.  Face is not to tight, good and smooth, feels well conditioned/protected.

This may or may not be a comment on Sharper Edge's AS, but I'll through it out there.  I am torn between wanting this to be a splash -- lighter scent so I can apply more liberally -- and a balm -- scent as it is but thicker and more moisturizing.  I feel like it is stuck in between right now.  I've not used the "milks" so maybe this is a common question that comes up.

Either way, I've been happy with the conditioning, scent needs some adjustment/toning down, and I'd like it to be a bit more "splashy".

Great job William!

13 968
 03-21-2017, 04:06 PM
User Info
Gent's when we started this little project we were looking to keep things very simple and i personally did not want to go with a balm as those are usually heavy during warmer weather but also wanted some of the calming and soothing that a balm provides so we decided to go with somewhat of a heavier splash/milk, we could have went with more of a traditional splash but that would have involved adding more water/alcohol and we did not want to lost the calming affect so we chose a happy medium, i wanted something along the lines of B&M Latha and i think we came pretty close, we have made adjustments to the scent balance as several have commented on what they would like to see and we found out that the vanilla is very strong so we removed alot of it and added other scents to take it's place, so with all that said we hope to be able to have small batches available by weeks end, we don't want to mix up large batches and want to keep it as fresh as possible, the scent concentration has aslo been looked at and starting out we were at the 5-6% mark which the Mrs said she wanted those getting it to get there $$ worth but we now realize that there are those that don't use a splash as there final scent that they may use a colonge so we have reduced the % of scent but not alot as there are those like me that only use a splash type aftershave.

We are going to have an Etsy Store along with selling directly here so the current offerings will be the three scents we are doing final tweaks on and then the honing of straight razors and i am going to list small batches of inexpensive vintage straight razors, these razor will be priced at what we feel is a decent entry level price for someone wanting to test the waters of using a straight razor but not spending a fortune and it will of course come shave ready with a sample of aftershave.

We also want to thank all of you for your very detailed responses on what you liked and don't like and we have made small changes and more than likely will make additional changes as needed until we have the final recipe but I think we are fairly close to where will will end up but will always welcome comments/suggenstions from those that purchase it.

~William~

6 1,163
 03-21-2017, 04:20 PM
User Info
Thanks, William - I think you are on the way to some fine products and I'm glad I could play a tiny role in their evolution.  Good luck!

73 3,969
 03-21-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
Best of luck with the launch of the new aftershaves William!

41 5,113
 03-21-2017, 04:54 PM
User Info
Great to hear William.  Thanks for the opportunity to participate and I look forward to your expanded venture!

13 968
 03-22-2017, 05:40 AM
User Info
Two more uses of the Stockton under my belt now, with one use of my usual aftershave in between.  

This stuff is definitely a different experience, but I like it quite a bit.  Now that I've figured out how much to apply, I like the way it feels quite a bit.  I don't get as much tightness as I did the first day, which is nice.  

About 15 minutes after applying this aftershave, my cheeks are ridiculously smooth and soft.  It's crazy how much it seems to condition the skin.  

I'm glad you toned down the vanilla; thanks for being so responsive to suggestions.  I agree that adding a tiny bit of menthol so that it had a slight sensation upon application would take this aftershave over the top for me.  Not a lot; I don't like face freezers.  But just a little would be nice, just to have a slightly refreshing feel.  I fear that the scent/feel is almost too "warm" for use in the summer, and in the winter I use balms.  

Maybe you could do the aftershave in two iterations?  One as it currently is and one with a hint of menthol?  Just a thought.  Could call them "Stockton" and "Stockton Cool" or something like that?  

Anyway, great job on this aftershave.  It's really growing on me.

2 1,322
 03-22-2017, 05:47 AM
User Info
(03-22-2017, 05:40 AM)kingfisher Wrote: About 15 minutes after applying this aftershave, my cheeks are ridiculously smooth and soft.  It's crazy how much it seems to condition the skin.  

Anyway, great job on this aftershave.  It's really growing on me.

Exactly!

73 3,969
 03-22-2017, 08:12 AM
User Info
Good luck!  With regard to the Burl its nice to have an orange top note AS.  I know that Lucky Tiger has theirs but the scent is gone almost the second you put it on.  

As for performance, I've used it the last few days and my opinion still hasn't changed; I think the formula is just about perfect as a Latha "inspired" splash, in fact an improvement.

83 1,500
 03-22-2017, 08:56 AM
User Info
Thanks for the opportunity to try Montauk. You have produced a great product.

0 130