07-16-2017, 05:33 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-16-2017, 03:16 AM)jar Wrote: LOL

if "The iKon Deluxe Open Comb baseplate is a direct replacement for the safety bar baseplate of the AS-D2, but the comb of the iKon baseplate droops downward at the leading edge, leaving more of the underside of the blade unsupported than the Feather baseplate does." then the Ikon baseplate is NOT a direct replacement for the Feather baseplate.

Didn't your mama teach you not to do stuff like that?

You seem to have confused the denotations of “direct” and “identical.”  I had planned to wear a striped necktie today with a solid color shirt, but a spaghetti sauce stain that I incurred on the solid color shirt caused me to go to the closet and change into the only other currently freshly laundered shirt, which has a striped pattern that would clash with the striped tie; so I switched to a patterned necktie instead.  The patterned necktie is a direct replacement for the striped necktie.  Along the same lines, a KAI DE razor blade is a direct replacement for one of the Feather DE razor blades that the Feather AS-D2 shipped with, but a KAI blade is not identical to a Feather blade.

The iKon baseplate is, indeed and in fact, a direct, but not identical, replacement for the Feather AS-D2 baseplate.

1 1,089
 07-16-2017, 05:48 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(07-15-2017, 05:05 PM)chazt Wrote: Point made. But the obvious question then is, "Why?" Why bother using such a configuration; one that would knowingly result in the dreaded chattering blade? What am I missing?

Because the Feather AS-D2 clamps the blade close to the edge on both the top and the bottom, it allows one to use very sharp, but thin profile, Feather Hi-Stainless blades without suffering the ill effects of blade chatter.  If one chooses to use a more substantial and flex-resistant, but still very sharp, KAI blade, then one can enjoy the Feather AS-D2 razor with the more aggressive iKon Deluxe OC baseplate to achieve the same closeness of shave as one can achieve with the Feather-Feather combination, but in less time per shave.  The face feel during the shave of the Feather-Feather combination is very different from the face feel of the KAI-iKon combination.  Variety is the spice of life, n’est-ce pas?

1 1,089
 07-16-2017, 10:27 AM
User Info
(07-16-2017, 05:33 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 03:16 AM)jar Wrote: LOL

if "The iKon Deluxe Open Comb baseplate is a direct replacement for the safety bar baseplate of the AS-D2, but the comb of the iKon baseplate droops downward at the leading edge, leaving more of the underside of the blade unsupported than the Feather baseplate does." then the Ikon baseplate is NOT a direct replacement for the Feather baseplate.

Didn't your mama teach you not to do stuff like that?

You seem to have confused the denotations of “direct” and “identical.”  I had planned to wear a striped necktie today with a solid color shirt, but a spaghetti sauce stain that I incurred on the solid color shirt caused me to go to the closet and change into the only other currently freshly laundered shirt, which has a striped pattern that would clash with the striped tie; so I switched to a patterned necktie instead.  The patterned necktie is a direct replacement for the striped necktie.  Along the same lines, a KAI DE razor blade is a direct replacement for one of the Feather DE razor blades that the Feather AS-D2 shipped with, but a KAI blade is not identical to a Feather blade.

The iKon baseplate is, indeed and in fact, a direct, but not identical, replacement for the Feather AS-D2 baseplate.

Nope, no confusion at all.  I did notice that neither shirts or ties are often involved in cutting someones face.

0 130
 07-16-2017, 10:50 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
User Info
(07-16-2017, 10:27 AM)jar Wrote:
(07-16-2017, 05:33 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote: You seem to have confused the denotations of “direct” and “identical.”  

. . . Along the same lines, a KAI DE razor blade is a direct replacement for one of the Feather DE razor blades that the Feather AS-D2 shipped with, but a KAI blade is not identical to a Feather blade

Nope, no confusion at all.  I did notice that neither shirts or ties are often involved in cutting someones face.

And — one can hope, at least — neither Feather razor blades nor KAI razor blades are often involved in cutting one’s face, either.   Winky

1 1,089