08-15-2012, 07:49 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I had these scraps of exotic wood lying around forever and finally thought I'd laminate them into a chunk that can yield a small shaving brush handle. I do not have a lathe, so everything was done by cutting and sanding (I have a very good sander). I got a 16mm TGN finest knot (thanks, Teiste) for it the other day and drilled the hole and finished the handle shape and surface. It is looking very nice. The brush is going to be small, a bit larger than Wee Scot, but small face lathering affair.

Here are some pictures of progress so far. The pictures of a knot in the handle are of dry fitting. It is in the gluing jig with epoxy setting overnight. Tomorrow I will clean it up and decide on final wood sealing method.

Attached Files Image(s)

25 1,705
 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
That handle looks like it is going to be extremely comfortable to hold, nice job. Plus the red wood is beautiful. You making me want one!

35 1,732
 08-15-2012, 08:03 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Great job doing by hand!

88 4,233
 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
WOW That's really good!!! I'm impressed!!!

7 405
 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
User Info
Dittos what's been written already! Just gorgeous! And the wood looks fantastic!

I have a handle or 2 is on my winter projects list. I have no lathe either, but I figure I can make do with some ingenuity.

32 6,311
 08-16-2012, 10:05 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Very! nice job on the handle Thumbsup

I look forward to seeing the finished brush... What loft height did you end up going with on the 16mm diameter knot?

23 1,872
 08-16-2012, 10:11 AM
User Info
I admire all you hobbyist out there. Nice work

9 333
 08-16-2012, 11:46 AM
  • steve g
  • Northern California
User Info
Very good symmetry, great eye.

3 68
 08-16-2012, 03:49 PM
User Info
vferdman,

I have been following this elsewhere and I will say again that is excellent work.

1 2,827
 08-16-2012, 05:05 PM
User Info
Awesome job on that handle. Looks like a winner and kudos for coming up with a different design.

0 241
 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Here are some pictures of the glued up brush.

I have washed it thoroughly to clean off the epoxy residue and have actually shaved with it, even though I probably should have waited until I've sealed the wood with poly, but I figured one shave won't kill it and I will let the brush dry for two days or so before attempting to seal the wood. I have also not decided on the sealing method. Probably hand rubbed polyurethane. I do not want a shiny look at all. I want it to look oil rubbed, but stand up to the rigors of shaving (constant water exposure). I wonder what Semogue does. Anyone know? Their wooden handles look awesome (as do their painted ones, but that's another story).

I have to also say that this handle design is amazingly ergonomic. The "waist" is gripped with thumb, index and middle fingers and the bottom part just rests in the space formed by the grip. I was definitely inspired by Semogue 1305 handle, which I think is the best brush handle style ever. This one is a lot smaller, but the idea is the same. larger on the bottom and tapering up to the grip. Worked out great. I highly recommend trying this, epsecially if you are handy with a lathe.

25 1,705
 08-16-2012, 06:30 PM
User Info
The Semogue I have is finished with a CA coat. Probably painted on. After a few years it has worn away and cracked in most places.

9 2,988
 08-16-2012, 06:32 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(08-16-2012, 03:49 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: vferdman,

I have been following this elsewhere and I will say again that is excellent work.

Thanks! Coming from you it means a lot. I've seen your work and it's really excellent. I have been itching to do something with these exotic wood remnants I inherited from a fancy home project. I got lots of different ones. This and one other are the two that stand out I may do another handle from that other piece, but there are some issues with dimensions of it... Nothing unsolvable, just want to waste as little as possible.

I also picked up an old Ever-Ready handle, so the SBRAD is kicking in hard! I have a brush I never use that has a very good knot, but not such great handle. I am thinking of transplanting that knot to the Ever-Ready. That's also quite different than just re-knotting an old handle. I need to figure out how to remove the knot and keep it intact. I've been rolling thoughts about that in my head for a while. It may come to some fruition soon.

25 1,705
 08-16-2012, 06:48 PM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
Very nice brush, congrats.

12 743
 08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
excellent!
great job Biggrin

9 1,684
 08-22-2012, 06:55 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Here are some more pictures of the finished brush.

I've shaved a few times with it already (including today) and it's just amazingly loveable. It does everything well. It's small, so you can get around well, it lathers incredibly well (it's a TGN finest, after all), holds a ton of lather - enough for 4 passes plus. It is very comfortable in hand and is just beautiful to look at. The only thing is that I will need to put a different finish on it. The pictures show it just after a treatment with Danish oil, which made it look great, but after shaving a lot of sheen was gone and a soapy haze appeared. I am thinking I will put some hand rubbed polyurethane on it before long.

25 1,705
 08-24-2012, 10:56 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(08-16-2012, 10:05 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Very! nice job on the handle Thumbsup

I look forward to seeing the finished brush... What loft height did you end up going with on the 16mm diameter knot?

I finally got around to measuring the knot and loft on this brush. I did not want to rush with this as I really wanted to first use the brush and see what it's like before I knew the exact dimensions. The brush performs superbly, BTW. I set the loft totally by gut feeling. and the knot opening was mostly dictated by the glue button inside the knot. So, final dimesions came out to be 19mm knot with 44mm loft. If I knew that ahead of time I would have judged the brush "floppy", but it's not. It's not a stiff broom by any means, but it has very good backbone and also flows the lather and water very well. In actual shaving use it's a joy. I am very happy with it. I am currently applying another coat of Danish oil on the handle. Seems the wood is very thirsty and just keeps sucking in the oil, which is fine with me. I got a quart of the stuff Smile

I must say that I am very impressed with this 16mm knot. Seems to be tiny when you first hold it, but then you realize that the very bottom plug is 16mm (+-1mm, BTW. Mine was 15.5mm), but the glue glob just north of the visible plug is at least 1mm out on the radius, making the knot more like an 18mm-19mm. Mine came out at 19mm and I probably could have gotten away with 18mm. The loft could be slightly shorter, I would say. If I was making this brush using calipers instead of my gut I would have set it at 40mm or so. I am glad I went with the gut, though. I like the give of this brush. It is not floppy, but has good give and this makes it feel good on the face, somehow. I think the TGN Finest hair is pretty stiff, so a slightly higher loft is a good thing. I have done a larger brush with the TGN Finest and set it at 22mm/48mm and that is a slight bit too short, I think. Still a killer brush, mind you, but a bit of a lather hog.

Hope that helps.

25 1,705
 08-24-2012, 12:38 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(08-24-2012, 10:56 AM)vferdman Wrote: I finally got around to measuring the knot and loft on this brush. I did not want to rush with this as I really wanted to first use the brush and see what it's like before I knew the exact dimensions. The brush performs superbly, BTW. I set the loft totally by gut feeling. and the knot opening was mostly dictated by the glue button inside the knot. So, final dimesions came out to be 19mm knot with 44mm loft. If I knew that ahead of time I would have judged the brush "floppy", but it's not. It's not a stiff broom by any means, but it has very good backbone and also flows the lather and water very well. In actual shaving use it's a joy. I am very happy with it. I am currently applying another coat of Danish oil on the handle. Seems the wood is very thirsty and just keeps sucking in the oil, which is fine with me. I got a quart of the stuff Smile

I must say that I am very impressed with this 16mm knot. Seems to be tiny when you first hold it, but then you realize that the very bottom plug is 16mm (+-1mm, BTW. Mine was 15.5mm), but the glue glob just north of the visible plug is at least 1mm out on the radius, making the knot more like an 18mm-19mm. Mine came out at 19mm and I probably could have gotten away with 18mm. The loft could be slightly shorter, I would say. If I was making this brush using calipers instead of my gut I would have set it at 40mm or so. I am glad I went with the gut, though. I like the give of this brush. It is not floppy, but has good give and this makes it feel good on the face, somehow. I think the TGN Finest hair is pretty stiff, so a slightly higher loft is a good thing. I have done a larger brush with the TGN Finest and set it at 22mm/48mm and that is a slight bit too short, I think. Still a killer brush, mind you, but a bit of a lather hog.

Hope that helps.

Hi

Thanks for the info, what you've written makes good sense (at least to myself) and I would say you have more than likely ended up with an almost perfect loft height for the knot used... maybe 42mm (min) might have worked nicely, but like yourself I think going to 40mm would've pushed it a bit too much...

I have a TGN Finest 20mm knot set at 47mm loft and a TGN Finest 24mm knot set at 52mm loft, both to me seem to fall into that sweet spot. In the near future I'm planning to get a TGN Finest 22mm knot and set it a loft height of 49mm.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(08-24-2012, 12:38 PM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi

Thanks for the info, what you've written makes good sense (at least to myself) and I would say you have more than likely ended up with an almost perfect loft height for the knot used... maybe 42mm (min) might have worked nicely, but like yourself I think going to 40mm would've pushed it a bit too much...

I have a TGN Finest 20mm knot set at 47mm loft and a TGN Finest 24mm knot set at 52mm loft, both to me seem to fall into that sweet spot. In the near future I'm planning to get a TGN Finest 22mm knot and set it a loft height of 49mm.

Take care, Mike

Mike, I am realizing more and more that the knot/loft ratio tells us little without additional information on the kind of hair used, density of the knot and the size of the knot. I don;t think there is a linear relationship where you can say the golden k/l is X. It's rather it's X for smaller knots, say up to 20mm, then it's Y for medium knots, say 20mm-24mm, then it may be Z for the larger brushes. That's why I decided to go with my gut feel for this brush. I just visualized my desired result and having the knot in hand just kind of went with what I thought was going to give me my desired result. And it worked!

Thanks for all the support, ladies and gentlemen.

25 1,705
 08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
User Info
Good looking brush!

5 938