03-09-2017, 09:54 PM
User Info
TOBS or St James of London?

13 496
 03-10-2017, 02:49 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I've used TOBS for years and have found it to be excellent.  Anytime I've ventured away from it, trying GFT, C&E, TBS, etc., I've always come back to TOBS.

7 909
 03-10-2017, 03:59 AM
User Info
Needle in a haystack.

0 22
 03-10-2017, 05:31 AM
User Info
I get good results from both. Really it boils down to scents that you prefer

3 742
 03-10-2017, 05:51 AM
User Info
(03-10-2017, 05:31 AM)SteelTown Wrote: I get good results from both. Really it boils down to scents that you prefer

Agreed, I find them to be quite similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,276
 03-10-2017, 06:03 AM
User Info
Aren't they essentially the same?  Creightons makes them both.

Here is the ingredient list for SJOL Lavender & Geranium: water, stearic acid, myristic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, glycerin, triethanolamine, limnathes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, vaccinium macrocarpon (cranberry) seed oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, sodium hydroxide, 1,4-Terpineol, geranium maculatum oil, geraniol, citronellol, linalool

And here is the ingredient list for TOBS Lavender: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Perfume, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben

They both have the same first six ingredients.  They then both have triethanolamine (an emulsifier/surfectant), sodium hydroxide (cleansing and can also be a water softener for hard water).

The differences are that TOBS has methylparaben, which is a preservative.  SJOL definitely has some nice skincare ingredients like sweet almond oil, cranberry seed oil, olive oil, 4-Terpineol (tea tree oil derivative) lavender oil.  It seems the last four SJOL ingredients are scent-related, which TBOS just has a "perfume" ingredient.

I'm no expert, but considering the first six ingredients are the same and in the same order, I wouldn't see a dramatic difference in how SJOL and TBOS work, except that SJOL has a more "organic" (in my opinion) skincare and preservative ingredient list.  I can also see why SJOL is almost three times the cost of TOBS.

84 1,505
 03-10-2017, 06:06 AM
User Info
Does that means TOBS contains parabens?!

13 775
 03-10-2017, 06:14 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
(03-10-2017, 06:06 AM)snowman Wrote: Does that means TOBS contains parabens?!

They used to, but I believe they have phased them out (at least partial, maybe completely).

59 2,825
 03-10-2017, 06:21 AM
User Info
(03-10-2017, 06:14 AM)Nero Wrote:

They used to, but I believe they have phased them out (at least partial, maybe completely).

That's good to know. Thanks Matt

13 775
 03-10-2017, 06:35 AM
User Info

FYI I took the ingredient list from the TOBS UK website, which may have not updated the Lavender ingredients.  I notice they don't have an ingredient list for some of the newer creams.  I don't mean to start a parabens scare!

84 1,505
 03-10-2017, 06:50 AM
User Info
(03-10-2017, 06:35 AM)jpakstis Wrote:

FYI I took the ingredient list from the TOBS UK website, which may have not updated the Lavender ingredients.  I notice they don't have an ingredient list for some of the newer creams.  I don't mean to start a parabens scare!

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. No scare at all but of course better be safe than sorry. I think it's the user's responsibility to check the ingredients list of the actual soap they are buying before they make the purchase.

13 775
 03-10-2017, 07:01 AM
User Info
StJoL-induced mild skin irritation aside, they perform (pretty much) equally well, ime.

(03-10-2017, 06:03 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Creightons makes them both.
Did, but they no longer make TOBS.

0 490
 03-10-2017, 07:07 AM
User Info
(03-10-2017, 07:01 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: StJoL-induced mild skin irritation aside, they perform (pretty much) equally well, ime.

That was one thing I noticed.  I know some people have allergies to tea tree oil, and I'm sure its a very small amount, but it could be an irritant.  I don't want to do another deep dive into EU cosmetics laws, though.

(03-10-2017, 07:01 AM)ask4Edge Wrote: Did, but they no longer make TOBS.

My apologies, then!  I guess I've been out of the game too long.  I don't like spreading inaccuracies generally speaking and here I am shooting from the hip all over this thread. When did they stop?

84 1,505
 03-10-2017, 07:30 AM
User Info
To dive a little deeper, here is why I asked:  I am in search of a good sandalwood soap.  I haven't found an artisan one that I love the scent on, so I have been thinking about one of these two options.  I can get a 15% discount on the SJoL (at my barbershop), but I am hesitant as I have been moving more toward tallow based soaps.  That being said, I absolutely adore their Sandalwood and Bergamot scent. 

The next question then becomes, will this tallow lover be satisfied with either of these creams?

Thank you all for the discussion.

13 496
 03-10-2017, 07:35 AM
User Info
(03-10-2017, 07:07 AM)jpakstis Wrote: My apologies, then!  I guess I've been out of the game too long.  I don't like spreading inaccuracies generally speaking and here I am shooting from the hip all over this thread.  When did they stop?
No worries, mate.

(06-25-2015, 03:47 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: FYI TOBS like D R Harris has not been made by Creightons for some time now.
They still make St.James, Trumpers & T&H.
(06-28-2015, 06:48 AM)suffolksupplies Wrote: The change happened a few years ago, so my guess would be when the parabens free formulas came out.

0 490
 03-10-2017, 07:59 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-10-2017, 06:03 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Aren't they essentially the same?  Creightons makes them both.

Here is the ingredient list for SJOL Lavender & Geranium: water, stearic acid, myristic acid, potassium hydroxide, coconut acid, glycerin, triethanolamine, limnathes alba (meadowfoam) seed oil, vaccinium macrocarpon (cranberry) seed oil, olea europaea (olive) fruit oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) oil, sodium hydroxide, 1,4-Terpineol, geranium maculatum oil, geraniol, citronellol, linalool

And here is the ingredient list for TOBS Lavender: Aqua, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Coconut Acid, Glycerin, Perfume, Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxide, Methylparaben

They both have the same first six ingredients.  They then both have triethanolamine (an emulsifier/surfectant), sodium hydroxide (cleansing and can also be a water softener for hard water).

The differences are that TOBS has methylparaben, which is a preservative.  SJOL definitely has some nice skincare ingredients like sweet almond oil, cranberry seed oil, olive oil, 4-Terpineol (tea tree oil derivative) lavender oil.  It seems the last four SJOL ingredients are scent-related, which TBOS just has a "perfume" ingredient.

I'm no expert, but considering the first six ingredients are the same and in the same order, I wouldn't see a dramatic difference in how SJOL and TBOS work, except that SJOL has a more "organic" (in my opinion) skincare and preservative ingredient list.  I can also see why SJOL is almost three times the cost of TOBS.

I suggestyou take a look at both. Thats enough to tell you they are different.  Just because yhey are made by same company doesnt mean they are made the same. Im sure the wet shaving industry is like any other in that when a product is put out to bid out of house there are specs included that are proprietary to the company requesting the bids.

7 2,328
 03-10-2017, 10:30 AM
User Info
Own the entire TOBS and St. James Collection.

In my view St. James is two steps above in both scents, presentation and performance

24 5,971
 03-10-2017, 01:29 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-10-2017, 10:30 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: Own the entire TOBS and St. James Collection.

In my view St. James is two steps above in both scents, presentation and performance

To use an American term Claus.....ditto.

P.S.  except i just love the fragrance of the now discontinued TOBS  Shaving Shop. Go figure.

7 2,328
 03-10-2017, 03:35 PM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
St James made my face burn/itch, also.

Was never super enamored with TOBS.

My vote would be for TOBS bc I don't recall them burning, though it's been a long time. My favorite scent was definitely Shaving Shop, as well.

59 2,825
 03-10-2017, 06:09 PM
User Info
(03-10-2017, 07:30 AM)22bulldog Wrote: To dive a little deeper, here is why I asked:  I am in search of a good sandalwood soap.  I haven't found an artisan one that I love the scent on, so I have been thinking about one of these two options.  I can get a 15% discount on the SJoL (at my barbershop), but I am hesitant as I have been moving more toward tallow based soaps.  That being said, I absolutely adore their Sandalwood and Bergamot scent. 

The next question then becomes, will this tallow lover be satisfied with either of these creams?

Thank you all for the discussion.

Lots love the TOBS Sandalwood though it's a medicinal cologny Sandalwood. I like it, but it's not real sandalwood like CRSW Sandalwood or a softer Sandalwood like AOS Sandalwood.
I actually prefer DR Harris Sandalwood over TOBS Sandalwood.
TF&H Sandalwood is a disgrace, though I also own it.

St. James Sandalwood & Bergamot is far from a Sandalwood scent either. But it's one of my all time favourite fresh woods colonge scents in a shaving cream. More like a Fougére. Reminds me of my favourite TOBS scent, Jermyn Street.

In short: If you are a high quality Tallow soap user, TOBS will most likely disappoint you, St. James might surprise you positively.

24 5,971