06-24-2017, 05:43 AM
User Info
Duck', We have one non-stick pan left and when it's ready for recycling it won't get replaced*. The only CI pan still in the kitchen is a small one. I think we can have only black steel and SS pans and do anything we're ever likely to do with just those. Even the wok went into storage. It was ridiculous anyway, using a wok on a western burner, a too inefficient application of the heat produced. A frying pan works much better on our western burners. But that's another topic.

*Good non-stick pans aren't inexpensive and they require regular replacement. Carbon or "black" steel pans are ever bit as non-stick and the coating is renewable at home in minutes if it is stripped.

32 6,424
 06-25-2017, 04:05 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-10-2017, 11:32 PM)DonnerJack Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 02:56 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: And I find the Matfer pan that Doc finds objectionable to be my everyday, always on the range and never put away pan. It's about 8" for the working surface. I wish they marketed them that way but they don't. Who cares about 1" above where the heat is? I cook nothing floating 1" over the cooking surface of the pan.
That would make it a carbon steel griddle? Smile

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'll go with 10" (8" working surface).

Here is the Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel pan that we have used — literally — just about every day for the past six or seven years or so.   (It never gets put away; it just gets moved to the side when we need to make way for a different cooking vessel.  We do not, however, leave the ruler on top while we are using it for cooking.)   Looks to be the same size as ShadowDad’s.

[Image: 9Yys9kO.jpg]

0 1,035
 06-26-2017, 05:24 AM
User Info
Unless someone has a huge family to cook for I've found that most everyone finds that size pan to be their everyday pan. It's just about the right size and it's not too heavy. Even a steel pan, as light as they are in that size, start to approach cast iron weight as they grow in size. My biggest steel pan is just a few ounces lighter than a similarly sized CI. But steel does have advantages of CI even with a similar weight. It conducts heat much better so in our case we use less gas due to the smaller flame.

32 6,424
 06-26-2017, 06:11 AM
User Info
Hello All;

Interesting thread!

It makes me realize some things that i did without thinking... I have a kitchen full of assorted cookware. I now realize that my favorite pan is a very hard to find 13 inch one, with a 13 cooking surface. Maybe this kind of pan has a name to it.

I realize now how much i miss it. The thing is that i took it with me to my sailboat. I took that one beacuse its big enough for pizza. Its been almost a year since then. We enjoyed a few sunsets with perfect home made pizza aboard. And since then, we have been cooking our fish (at home) sans head and tail. Which is a good thing. We have not brought the pan back because we love the fish soup we are making as an appetizer. Jeje.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 478
 06-26-2017, 07:28 AM
User Info
Could it be a Mexican comal? It could also just be a griddle or a pizza pan similar to what Lodge makes.

I've had my eyes on comals because I want a low sided griddle. I'd like to find it made of carbon steel, but all I find are CI, SS, or non-stick aluminum. The last 2 are definitely non-starters for me.

32 6,424
 06-26-2017, 05:12 PM
User Info
I was looking into it right now. It is not a comal. The sides are as high as a regular frying pan. :-/

It as advertized as a "pan" in Bed, Bath and Beyond...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 478
 06-26-2017, 08:12 PM
User Info
(06-26-2017, 07:28 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Could it be a Mexican comal? It could also just be a griddle or a pizza pan similar to what Lodge makes.

I've had my eyes on comals because I want a low sided griddle. I'd like to find it made of carbon steel, but all I find are CI, SS, or non-stick aluminum. The last 2 are definitely non-starters for me.
Hey Brian, this looks like it's blue steel (or similar) with no sides at all Smile

Pizzacraft Rectangular Steel Baking Plate for Kitchen or Barbeque Grill, 22 by 14 - PC0313 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RWSYBDA/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 76
 06-26-2017, 08:18 PM
User Info
(06-26-2017, 08:12 PM)DonnerJack Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 07:28 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Could it be a Mexican comal? It could also just be a griddle or a pizza pan similar to what Lodge makes.

Hey Brian, this looks like it's blue steel (or similar) with no sides at all Smile

Pizzacraft Rectangular Steel Baking Plate for Kitchen or Barbeque Grill, 22 by 14 - PC0313 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RWSYBDA/

Chef King 7 Gauge Steel Griddle, 14 Inch x 23 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BQYS3C/

1 76
 06-26-2017, 08:23 PM
User Info
(06-26-2017, 08:18 PM)DonnerJack Wrote:
(06-26-2017, 08:12 PM)DonnerJack Wrote:

Chef King 7 Gauge Steel Griddle, 14 Inch x 23 Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001BQYS3C/

Or if you want the nicely designed but absurdly priced baking steel:
https://shop.bakingsteel.com/products/mi...el-griddle

1 76