03-11-2017, 06:22 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I have two badger hair brushes.  When I get to the end of the week, I clean them.  Usually, if I had just being using one, I only clean that one.  

I shampoo, condition, blow-dry, and, comb them.  Today, I added the step of using hand/face soap, in between the shampoo, and, conditioner.  I noticed quite a bit of shedding after I was finished combing it.  I think this may be related to the use of the soap.

Does anyone else comb their brushes?  And, if so, is shedding a problem, typically?

1 589
 03-11-2017, 06:51 AM
User Info
I shampoo and condition each brush after each shave. I comb them out as I feel it is needed. I never blow dry them nor would I recommend it.. What brushes do you have?

20 1,337
 03-11-2017, 07:07 AM
User Info
Never shampooed or combed a brush.

1 143
 03-11-2017, 07:13 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Would not use a blow-dryer: 1) Air drying is enough, 2) Excessive heat will ruin the hair.
Rest is fine. 
I only rinse the brush in warm water after the shave to ensure no soap residue is left and then let her completely airdry before next use. Once a year - or whenever it seems appropriate - I use a brush cleansing soap to remove any build up that may have survived the rinsing over time.

37 1,862
 03-11-2017, 07:34 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(03-11-2017, 07:13 AM)German Wrote: Would not use a blow-dryer: 1) Air drying is enough, 2) Excessive heat will ruin the hair.
Rest is fine. 
I only rinse the brush in warm water after the shave to ensure no soap residue is left and then let her completely airdry before next use. Once a year - or whenever it seems appropriate - I use a brush cleansing soap to remove any build up that may have survived the rinsing over time.

This is exactly what I do.

45 618
 03-11-2017, 07:52 AM
User Info
(03-11-2017, 07:34 AM)ddk13 Wrote:
(03-11-2017, 07:13 AM)German Wrote: Would not use a blow-dryer: 1) Air drying is enough, 2) Excessive heat will ruin the hair.
Rest is fine. 

What is a brush cleansing soap?

1 143
 03-11-2017, 08:08 AM
User Info
(03-11-2017, 06:51 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: I shampoo and condition each brush after each shave.  I comb them out as I feel it is needed.  I never blow dry them nor would I recommend it.. What brushes do you have?

+1

I've been using Nevada Red's technique for the past several months, and it has made a big difference in how the brushes feel. Especially because I live in a very dry environment.

German, as far as the brush cleaning soap, the best one I've found is da Vinci Cosmetics Series 4833 Brush Cleaning Soap. It's a soap designed for makeup brushes, to remove the residual makeup and make the brushes softer. This 85 gram one is big enough for a shaving brush. Some swear that it makes a big difference in the brush, but for my good brushes, I'm more comfortable using a shampoo and conditioner that I would use on my own hair.

23 635
 03-11-2017, 08:16 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
(03-11-2017, 07:52 AM)wchnu Wrote:
Rest is fine. 

Davinci makes a brush soap that helps clean and condition your brush.  I know a few people that use it.  There are a lot of people who use nothing at all.  A lot of members like myself just rinse out their brush, shake out the water and that's it.  I do incorporate the brush soap once a year as I do have quite a bit of money invested in my brushes and want to be on the safe side as far as giving them a thorough cleaning once in awhile.  I think at some point doing too many things (repeated washings, hand soap, combing, conditioning, blow drying etc...) may be over kill and you might be doing more harm than good. 

As far as combing, the only time I've done it is when I have a brush that has shed a few hairs and I want to get any other shedders out of it as it bothers me when I shave and there's a hair stuck on my face or on my razor.  As far as combing goes there's no real need for it as all you're doing is putting undue stress on the hairs at the point where they connect to the glue.  Basically repeated tugging and pulling on the hairs themselves probably isn't the best idea.

45 618
 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM
User Info
(03-11-2017, 08:16 AM)ddk13 Wrote:
(03-11-2017, 07:34 AM)ddk13 Wrote: This is exactly what I do.

Davinci makes a brush soap that helps clean and condition your brush.  I know a few people that use it.  There are a lot of people who use nothing at all.  A lot of members like myself just rinse out their brush, shake out the water and that's it.  I do incorporate the brush soap once a year as I do have quite a bit of money invested in my brushes and want to be on the safe side as far as giving them a thorough cleaning once in awhile.  I think at some point doing too many things (repeated washings, hand soap, combing, conditioning, blow drying etc...) may be over kill and you might be doing more harm than good. 

As far as combing, the only time I've done it is when I have a brush that has shed a few hairs and I want to get any other shedders out of it as it bothers me when I shave and there's a hair stuck on my face or on my razor.  As far as combing goes there's no real need for it as all you're doing is putting undue stress on the hairs at the point where they connect to the glue.  Basically repeated tugging and pulling on the hairs themselves probably isn't the best idea.
Thank you. Great post!

1 143
 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
Rest is fine. 

I use the cool setting on the blow-dryer, but, if it could damage the hair, I shall cease doing so.  

Are brush-cleaning soaps really worth it?   It seems like dish-liquid, or, something of the sort would work just as well.

1 589
 03-11-2017, 09:27 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-11-2017, 08:16 AM)ddk13 Wrote:
(03-11-2017, 07:34 AM)ddk13 Wrote: This is exactly what I do.

Okay, fair enough.  I have only noticed shedding today, I have used the comb, probably, half-a-dozen times.

1 589
 03-11-2017, 09:41 AM
User Info
Two cents here: maggard recomends that a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water for a minute, followed by soap will refresh the brush.

This seems to be helpful if your water is hard!

The other shampoo things some guys do, with respect, is only a psychological band aid that do no harm, and nothing at all.

Come on guys, we use them brushes to play with soap. At the end of the day shampoo and dish washer and shave soap only differ in scent and humectants. The other ninetysomething percent is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 03-11-2017, 09:49 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
Rest is fine. 

I use Zartgefühl soap. Davinci also offers a soap. These can be used for cosmetic and shaving brushes alike.

[Image: R0Uqscn.jpg]

37 1,862
 03-11-2017, 09:52 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(03-11-2017, 09:41 AM)carlospppena Wrote: Two cents here:  maggard recomends that a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water for a minute, followed by soap will refresh the brush.

The other shampoo things some guys do, with respect, is only a psychological band aid that do no harm, and nothing at all.

Come on guys, we use them brushes to play with soap. At the end of the day shampoo and dish washer and shave soap only differ in scent and humectants. The other ninetysomething percent is the same.  

That is right: truly the only important thing is to rinse out the soap after each use. Using any other product won't harm as long as not abrasive.

37 1,862
 03-11-2017, 09:58 AM
User Info
(03-11-2017, 09:41 AM)carlospppena Wrote: Two cents here:  maggard recomends that a tablespoon of vinegar in a glass of water for a minute, followed by soap will refresh the brush.

I would hate for this thread to get derailed too far, however if shampoo was no better then dishwashing soap why has a billion dollar a year shampoo/conditioner industry been able to stay thriving for so long.  To some these brushes are a tool, no more no less.  To others they are art and bring an enjoyment that goes past the simple function they are originally designed to do.  I for one look at this logically seeing how badger hair is no different in scientific terms than human hair, proteins and so on.  Keeping with this theory I do not wash my hair with dish soap.  Anything other than hair shampoo is far too astringent and will damage the hair, breaking down those natural proteins.  I plan on keeping my brushes for a very long time and from a common sense standpoint if I am nourishing badger hair with shampoo and conditioner as I do my own hair I figure it will be far more beneficial than other options.

20 1,337
 03-11-2017, 10:39 AM
User Info
(03-11-2017, 09:58 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: carlospppena

I would hate for this thread to get derailed too far, however if shampoo was no better then dishwashing soap why has a billion dollar a year shampoo/conditioner industry been able to stay thriving for so long.  To some these brushes are a tool, no more no less.  To others they are art and bring an enjoyment that goes past the simple function they are originally designed to do.  I for one look at this logically seeing how badger hair is no different in scientific terms than human hair, proteins and so on.  Keeping with this theory I do not wash my hair with dish soap.  Anything other than hair shampoo is far too astringent and will damage the hair, breaking down those natural proteins.  I plan on keeping my brushes for a very long time and from a common sense standpoint if I am nourishing badger hair with shampoo and conditioner as I do my own hair I figure it will be far more beneficial than other options.

Dear Nevada;

First of all, let me apologize.  My comment was insensitive.  I should have used a more diplomatic language to manifest my point of view.  And at the end of the day i agree with you practically in everything.  Shampoo and dish washing soap are not the same.  I don't mean to imply that anyone should use it interchangeably. Imagine one of us using Wella for the dishes!

We all adore our bushes.  We want to keep them for all time, and give them out to our grandsons when they come of age!  Some of us love them for the art in them.  Some others for the intrinsic beauty of its usefulness as a tool.  I love my badger brushes of both reasons and for the nostalgia that evokes in me, to keep alive the old ways... 

Badger hair is similar to human hair.  No doubt.  The difference is that the badger hairs in our brushes is not attached to skin anymore, and at the end of the day, our hobby here is protecting the skin... the hair... we throw that part down the sink.  ajjajajjaa... well, that was a joke.  but seriously, i did not mean to be offensive toward your technique.  it makes perfect sense to nourish the badger hair in your brush.  What i wanted to say, or meant to say, is that the shaving soap we all use and discuss and adore has those same qualities that you seek in shampoo (which is not that bad for shaving jeje).  Shaving soap is gentle, same as shampoo.  One is liquid, of course.  The other is not.  I failed to consider the conditioner part.  I apologize again.  

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 03-11-2017, 10:59 AM
User Info
I've started to use conditioner on my brushes, and I'm amazed at how much more vibrant the hair looks. The black band on my two-band is much darker.

7 282
 03-11-2017, 01:34 PM
User Info
As I have continued to purchase more badger brushes, I have come to the belief that especially tips with noticeably hooked or curled ends, that it would be better not to comb them. I choose not to so I can avoid any damage or broken ends but that doesn't mean that I can avoid hairs becoming broken. I just use my hand when the brush is well rinsed and then condition them when they are half way dried or completely dry.

79 1,338
 03-12-2017, 05:18 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-11-2017, 06:51 AM)Nevada Red Wrote: I shampoo and condition each brush after each shave.  I comb them out as I feel it is needed.  I never blow dry them nor would I recommend it.. What brushes do you have?

Hi, I just saw this post, sorry.  

I guess, I should not blow-dry them anymore.  

I have a Semogue and an Omega.  The Omega is Pure, I believe the Semogue is Best.  It is really soft, compared to the Omega.  

Also, I have a brush on order, due to arrive tomorrow afternoon, which is a Finest Badger Hair Knot, hand-set in a handmade 3-inch Classic Style handle with a custom coin bearing the Eye of Horus on the bottom.  26mm knot, with a 52mm loft.  The overall length is about 5 inches.  I am really excited to be getting this.   This will be the last brush I ever use, hopefully.

1 589
 03-12-2017, 05:31 PM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 05:18 PM)Quando Wrote:

Hi, I just saw this post, sorry.  

I guess, I should not blow-dry them anymore.  

I have a Semogue and an Omega.  The Omega is Pure, I believe the Semogue is Best.  It is really soft, compared to the Omega.  

Also, I have a brush on order, due to arrive tomorrow afternoon, which is a Finest Badger Hair Knot, hand-set in a handmade 3-inch Classic Style handle with a custom coin bearing the Eye of Horus on the bottom.  26mm knot, with a 52mm loft.  The overall length is about 5 inches.  I am really excited to be getting this.   This will be the last brush I ever use, hopefully.

Dear Quando;

Nope. It is not the last brush... it never works that way... i hope you enjoy many more!

The best for you,

Pepe Peña

0 479