03-12-2017, 05:57 AM
User Info
I posted this thread recently— http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=47397

Now, it's got me thinking. Do I really need to spend a fortune on Biotherm and Vichy, which are the ones I've purchased? Heck, you can even spend a lot more on some of them. My friend's fashion-conscious son has some special stuff that he has to keep in the fridge!

There are many that are half the price, or even 1/4 of the price of what I've purchased. Can there really be that much of a difference?

1 403
 03-13-2017, 01:10 AM
User Info
The short answer is yes. I stumbled across Cremo Moisterizer recently; I haven't been disappointed.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

0 21
 03-13-2017, 12:01 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-12-2017, 05:57 AM)David Wrote: Do I really need to spend a fortune on Biotherm and Vichy, which are the ones I've purchased?  Heck, you can even spend a lot more on some of them.  My friend's fashion-conscious son has some special stuff that he has to keep in the fridge!

There are many that are half the price, or even 1/4 of the price of what I've purchased.  Can there really be that much of a difference?

The answer is either “yes” or “no.”   Biggrin  

The biggest and broadest selection of purpose-formulated moisturizers are on display at your local giant supermarket (or Wal-Mart or Target), in the cosmetics section under the label “night cream,” where the various brands and varieties will usually have a price differential of perhaps 12 to 1 in price per ounce of product between the most expensive and the cheapest.  Nivea with Q10 is a good brand near the higher end of the selections.  Even the most expensive night creams in supermarkets and big box stores, however, are likely to be cheaper per ounce than the cheapest moisturizers marketed to men under the brand of a high-end parfumerie. Of course, night creams are marketed to the distaff side, and we manly men who are into shaving as a macho hobby may shy away from buying girly stuff.  

On the other hand, my bride, who has used night creams religiously every night for decades (and who did not cotton to West African shea butter), abandoned her night creams completely and forever when she discovered Nilotica shea butter; and I have it on good authority that a man openly can use Nilotica shea butter as a moisturizer without worrying about other men laughing behind his back.  

1 1,089
 03-13-2017, 04:30 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
This is my homemade post-shave moisturizer.  At first it goes on a tad greasy, but do not need much at all.  My wife and her  friends on her swim team have adopted it as their post-workout  post-shower moisturizer.  In my opinion it is far superior to the several store bought balms I have b/c, for one thing, there are no added solvents, e.g., water, glycerol or other alcohols.  Just lots and lots of pure unadulterated shea butter, coconut oil and jojoba oil, some of the finest moisturizers around.  The active ingredients add up to 80%, the balance is beeswax, which makes the lotion bar stiffer.

[Image: gpZssM3.jpg]

1 795