03-12-2017, 04:32 PM
User Info
In the DE Razors forum, there is a thread about counterfeit Chinese shaving goods on ebay.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=47407

This morning, nvpliers spotted a Chinese vendor selling counterfeit Asylum RX razors for $27.90, and posted this on the thread (post # 13).  Through some quick action, we were able to get ebay to take down this fraudulent listing.

This type of activity is disgusting, undermines the integrity of our hobby, and needs to be crushed.  The key here is vigilance.  The Forum Team looks for these listings, but the more eyes out there the better.  If you see these listings for counterfeits, please report them to ebay immediately.  What happened today confirms that we can bring these unscrupulous actors down.

Thanks guys.

41 5,092
 03-12-2017, 04:40 PM
User Info
I also saw a listing for NOS vintage straight razor, I think it was Dovo but not sure, selling for $27.90, selling is new, 0 feedback and from China, description was just 2 lines, looks like it was copied from some other listing.  Too good to be true so I reported it.  What surprising is the price, basically all those effort and work to scam someone for just $27.90.  I agree that we should be vigilant and report any suspicious listing like these so other people who are not aware will not be scammed.

15 450
 03-12-2017, 05:20 PM
  • Monchoon
  • Saskatoon, Canada
User Info
(03-12-2017, 04:32 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: In the DE Razors forum, there is a thread about counterfeit Chinese shaving goods on ebay.

http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=47407

This morning, nvpliers spotted a Chinese vendor selling counterfeit Asylum RX razors for $27.90, and posted this on the thread (post # 13).  Through some quick action, we were able to get ebay to take down this fraudulent listing.

This type of activity is disgusting, undermines the integrity of our hobby, and needs to be crushed.  The key here is vigilance.  The Forum Team looks for these listings, but the more eyes out there the better.  If you see these listings for counterfeits, please report them to ebay immediately.  What happened today confirms that we can bring these unscrupulous actors down.

Thanks guys.

Was this actually a listing for a counterfeit Asylum RX, or was it a bogus listing with just the pics of an Asylum?

3 47
 03-12-2017, 07:13 PM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 05:20 PM)Monchoon Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 04:32 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Was this actually a listing for a counterfeit Asylum RX, or was it a bogus listing with just the pics of an Asylum?

Walter, the listing had a very poor photograph of an Asylum RX which could have been a real one.  However, the Chinese source, price of $27.90, and the fact that they would not be available until the Spring or Summer made it obvious that they were producing counterfeits.

41 5,092
 03-12-2017, 07:35 PM
User Info
Looks like most of these bogus listings have been removed.

22 529
 03-12-2017, 09:06 PM
User Info
(03-12-2017, 07:13 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 04:32 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Was this actually a listing for a counterfeit Asylum RX, or was it a bogus listing with just the pics of an Asylum?

Walter, the listing had a very poor photograph of an Asylum RX which could have been a real one.  However, the Chinese source, price of $27.90, and the fact that they would not be available until the Spring or Summer made it obvious that they were producing counterfeits.

I've seen a number of these, wolfman handles, m&f handles, all listing for about $26.i don't think they're counterfeit. They just take your money now, and when summer comes,  you've forgotten, they've closed down their accounts so the money is not recoverable  or something along those lines

1 97
 03-14-2017, 09:22 AM
User Info
I am really doubtful of any listing which has the country of origin as "China". Simply can't be trusted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 641
 03-14-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
When the price is too good to be true, that's a dead giveaway there's something wrong.

24 1,208
 03-14-2017, 05:35 PM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I've made plenty of legitimate purchases from China, and I've never had trouble. Just saying "you can't trust things from China vendors" is probably an overly broad statement.

However, given that in the case of these items, China vendor, plus accounts with zero feedback, plus the fact that there are many similar items, each with a unique seller with a formulaic username, plus the fact that they're an order of magnitude less than market price, MOST DEFINITELY adds up to no good.

Not trying to be argumentative; I just wanted to point out that this is an instance of specific scam and/or scammer. No sense in throwing the baby out with the bath water.

22 821
 03-14-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
There is currently a very real issue with fraud on marketplaces. I am more familiar with the issue on Amazon, but this seems to be the same case on eBay. What happens is that when a buyer complains about a purchase, then the marketplace gives the seller time to respond. During the period of this response time the seller has received the funds from the buyer in the transaction, and then he closes out his marketplace account. Sellers committing this fraud do this at larger scale, so that they have many fradulent listings at once, so they can maximize their return before the marketplace gets wise. The sellers then set up new accounts with a different ID and do it again. This does seem to be an issue largely with sellers out of China. One reason is that China has very weak laws on property rights. You can do a Google search and find out more.

16 264
 03-14-2017, 06:12 PM
User Info
(03-14-2017, 05:35 PM)chamm Wrote: I've made plenty of legitimate purchases from China, and I've never had trouble. Just saying "you can't trust things from China vendors" is probably an overly broad statement.

However, given that in the case of these items, China vendor, plus accounts with zero feedback, plus the fact that there are many similar items, each with a unique seller with a formulaic username, plus the fact that they're an order of magnitude less than market price, MOST DEFINITELY adds up to no good.

Not trying to be argumentative; I just wanted to point out that this is an instance of specific scam and/or scammer. No sense in throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I agree with your sentiments and reasoning to a large extent. On the other hand,I have had numerous instants where the products were substandard, fake or totally different from what was ordered, all from China. In my case, I have thrown this baby out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 641
 03-14-2017, 06:29 PM
User Info
Well done, team.  Absolute scumbags.

73 3,950
 03-14-2017, 07:19 PM
  • Monchoon
  • Saskatoon, Canada
User Info

You may be right, but it seems at least to myself that it is just a way for them to get someone to purchase something that they have no interest to produce, but try to just get a money grab.  If they were actually producing an item why just charge a small amount, or counterfeit a Wolfman per se. 

But thanks for the heads up and yes it is very despicable.

3 47
 03-15-2017, 03:13 PM
User Info
(03-14-2017, 05:51 PM)Journeyman Wrote: There is currently a very real issue with fraud on marketplaces. I am more familiar with the issue on Amazon, but this seems to be the same case on eBay. What happens is that when a buyer complains about a purchase, then the marketplace gives the seller time to respond. During the period of this response time the seller has received the funds from the buyer in the transaction, and then he closes out his marketplace account. Sellers committing this fraud do this at larger scale, so that they have many fradulent listings at once, so they can maximize their return before the marketplace gets wise. The sellers then set up new accounts with a different ID and do it again. This does seem to be an issue largely with sellers out of China. One reason is that China has very weak laws on property rights. You can do a Google search and find out more.

For this reason I use American Express for all online transactions or at least the ones I don't trust. They refund you the money within 30 days no questions asked!

8 765
 03-15-2017, 03:34 PM
User Info

dear ricardo;

i don't think that they are going to produce anything.  i looks to me like they are going to take some people´s money and disappear. 

the best for you man,

Pepe Peña

0 456