03-13-2017, 03:55 AM
User Info
I am old(er) and my beard is grisly gray and feels like 40 grit sandpaper.  I have been shaving forever, or so it seems.  I started in 1969 with a safety razor (don't remember the type), wilkinson sword blades and Noxzema brushless shaving cream.  I soon switched to carts and then the horrible BIC disposables, but I was a college student then.  What did I know?   In time I settled into the world of carts and shaving GEL. Those were the dark years of lousy, expensive shaves.  5 years ago I rediscovered wetshaving and it has been a fun ride through memory lane and great shaves.

I have a fairly large collection of vintage GEM razors which I enjoy.  My favorite daily ride is the Bullet or the Clog Pruf.  The MMOC is a little too aggressive for daily use.  I also own a variety of vintage safety razors with my favorite being the Gillette New Open Comb.  Over the years I have owned most of the ATT line at one time or another.  The one in my cupboard at this time is the ATT S2 open comb slant mated to a kronos handle.  

There is nothing quite like trying out a new razor.  In the case of the SE1, it is also my first try with a modern SE razor mated to a shavette blade.  My very first thought was that the shavette blade is really wide.  I wondered if I would be able to control it.  (Turned out not to be an issue.)  I screwed the ATT Kronos handle onto the SE1 and I was not happy.  Visually, it seemed off to me with too wide a head for a skinny, short handle; and the razor seemed head heavy as well.  I pulled out an Apollo handle (97mm; 100gm) that had been sitting in a drawer for several years because it always seemed too long and too heavy for a standard safety razor head.  The SE1 not only looked right with the longer and wider Apollo handle, but the balance was better as well.  The combo is beastly heavy but felt right in my hand.  Loading a Kai Captain Titan Mild into the razor was a snap.

I went through my usual prep and lathered with my favorite TTFFC soap, Get In Lime.  I started at my usual spot, the right temple, carefully set my shave angle and reminded myself to tread lightly.  (More than once an aggressive razor has taught me a lesson about proper technique.)  The first stoke was smooth and easy.  Really smooth and really easy.  Shave angle was intuitive and, unlike some aggressive razors, I could apply a touch of pressure without worry.  The shave was very efficient and the razor, despite the wide head, was agile and able to get into all of the nooks and crannies on my face.  I am a two pass kind of guy with a WTG pass followed by a XTG pass.  When re-applying the shaving cream for the second pass, I could feel that that SE1 had done a great job on the first pass.  Very impressive first shave.

Stan, the man behind ATT razors,  once described the ATT SE1 as shaving like a H but feeling like an M.  I think that is a very good description.  The razor felt smooth like a mild razor, but the results were far more efficient in line with a more aggressive razor.  For those of you who are familiar with the ATT S2, I would say that the SE1 is a smoother operator.  

I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Cheers

3 78
 03-13-2017, 07:17 AM
User Info
Very nice review!  Add another great ATT to my list.  Thanks for sharing.

73 4,338
 03-13-2017, 04:21 PM
User Info
I recently picked up an SE1 head and baseplate to compliment my H1 daly driver. I first used the feather pro's & pro supers when I tried out a kai kamisori, and I recall really liking the blades. I was worried that the SE1 would be too mild for me, but it's been very efficient while remaining mild mannered. I can confirm that you can apply a bit of pressure without drawing blood, a nice aside. Because I do daily 4-pass shaves, it will be interesting to see if I prefer this over my H1 (which I think provides a slightly closer shave, at the expense of increased aggressiveness). At first, I missed the blade chatter, but got used to it quickly enough.

*NOTE: I have the SE1 mated to a UFO grand titan L - which is a large, heavy handle. This likely makes the razor a bit more aggressive than usual, which is just fine by me.

29 1,207
 03-13-2017, 05:08 PM
User Info
ATT SE1 is my favorite razor! It's aggressive while being very forgiving for any mistakes. I had to give up my S2 to get the SE1 and of course I don't regret it but really want my S2 back now. Time to search through BST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 206
 03-18-2017, 08:57 PM
User Info
I have the SE2 (v1) and I agree that it calls for a longer, heavier handle. I pair it with the ATT Colossus -- a match made in heaven. Angel

0 99
 03-19-2017, 03:04 AM
User Info
I am about 5 shaves in now and as the blade has mellowed, the shave has gotten super smooth and efficient.  It is a deceivingly aggressive razor and I mean that in a very good way.  My thick gray beard is a great test for any razor.  The SE1 cuts through the tough stuff effortlessly.  Normally, there is some pulling, even with aggressive safety razors.  Not so with the SE1.  It is also an easy razor to use.  I have used aggressive razors in the past (the ATT H2 comes to mind) in which blood loss forced a very healthy respect for the razor.  Barely a weeper with the SE1 despite its cutting ability.  

Great razor Stan.

3 78
 03-19-2017, 05:50 PM
User Info
Nice review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've wanted to try the SE1 for some time. The aluminum version coming out soon looks interesting. Wondering whether to wait or get the SS version. Hmmm...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

3 73
 03-19-2017, 05:56 PM
User Info
Thanks for a useful review.

50 6,404
 03-26-2017, 04:58 PM
User Info
Glad to read this Rod. I've got an SE1 on the way due to the same issues you've described, pulling & tugging with the sharpest blades. Even my Merkur Slant seems to bounce and stick. My least irritating shaves have been with a "featherjector" mod, so I'm betting on this razor to do me the way I wanna be done.
No one tells ya that Barbwires will eventually grow outta yer face, if ya live long enough.
Thanks for the review, confirms my decision, I hope.

Kevmo

0 5
 03-26-2017, 06:20 PM
User Info
Hmmn... pulling & tugging can often be caused by poor prep/technique. I say this because the SE1 isn't an especially aggressive razor - though I do love the way it shaves when fitted with a sharp blade.

29 1,207
 03-27-2017, 02:52 AM
User Info
10 shaves in now with the Captain Kai Mild and I am beginning to feel a little pulling and tugging in my chin and mustache, the areas with the thickest hairs.  Pretty good for me.  I toss both the GEM blades and DE blades after 5 shaves.  No good after that.  I will switch blades in the middle of my next shave to confirm that the blade, and not my technique, is the problem.

3 78
 05-14-2017, 07:22 AM
  • Lew
  • Ex-Lurker
User Info
Hello! I'm a newbie to the community! I recently purchased the ATT SE1 after being a little fearful of even dealing with it after some reviews of it being too aggressive. I made the purchase anyway and am extremely glad that I did! I have come to know the ATT SE1 as just being an honest razor! What I mean by that is, if you put a sharp,aggressive blade into this razor then you'll get an aggressive shave. If you put a mild blade into this razor then, you'll get a mild shaving experience. The SE1 tells no lies when it comes to the blade you're using. I really love this razor!....By the way, I have the Kronos handle on it and I feel it presents adequate handling for me....Great review!

0 1
 05-14-2017, 08:58 AM
User Info
(05-14-2017, 07:22 AM)Lew Wrote: Hello! I'm a newbie to the community! I recently purchased the ATT SE1 after being a little fearful of even dealing with it after some reviews of it being too aggressive. I made the purchase anyway and am extremely glad that I did! I have come to know the ATT SE1 as just being an honest razor! What I mean by that is, if you put a sharp,aggressive blade into this razor then you'll get an aggressive shave. If you put a mild blade into this razor then, you'll get a mild shaving experience. The SE1 tells no lies when it comes to the blade you're using. I really love this razor!....By the way, I have the Kronos handle on it and I feel it presents adequate handling for me....Great review!

Welcome to TSN Lew, and thanks for posting your comments about this razor.  If you can, please post something in the Introductions section, so our members can give you a proper welcome.

50 6,404
 05-15-2017, 02:12 AM
User Info
(05-14-2017, 07:22 AM)Lew Wrote: Hello! I'm a newbie to the community! I recently purchased the ATT SE1 after being a little fearful of even dealing with it after some reviews of it being too aggressive. I made the purchase anyway and am extremely glad that I did! I have come to know the ATT SE1 as just being an honest razor! What I mean by that is, if you put a sharp,aggressive blade into this razor then you'll get an aggressive shave. If you put a mild blade into this razor then, you'll get a mild shaving experience. The SE1 tells no lies when it comes to the blade you're using. I really love this razor!....By the way, I have the Kronos handle on it and I feel it presents adequate handling for me....Great review!

Welcome, Lew.

Are you a newbie to the community or to wetshaving?  I ask because if you are new to wetshaving, it was quite a bold move to start with the SE1.  It is not the most aggressive razor out there, but it does demand a light touch.

Regarding you comment about blades, thus far I have used 3 different blades (Captain Kai Mild; Feather ProGuard; Feather Pro).  My favorite is the Feather Pro.  I find it to be just slightly more aggressive than the Kai mild.  The Kai may be a tad smoother than the Feather but the difference is small.  Neither blade has turned the SE1 into an aggressive razor in my opinion.  What blades have you tried thus far?

3 78
 05-17-2017, 04:46 PM
User Info
Great review Rod... my SE1 just came today. I have the KAI milds as well. If your suggesting I could more than 5 shaves per blade I'm even more excited than I already was!

7 118
 05-30-2017, 05:55 PM
User Info
The ATT SE1 is such a smooth shaving razor. I use it with a Feather Pro blade and I always get a smooth & close shave. Stan did another great job with this one. Nice looking too. 

[Image: 4aIX4xh.jpg]

5 1,562