03-13-2017, 12:51 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
So I went ahead and bought couple of semouge boar brushes, ownwers club and 830 models.

I defuncked them and have used them handuful of times and each time I can not make good lather like my Synth or Badgers.  Its really bad in comaprison.

I presoak for 10 minutes in warm water, squeeze the water out, load soap for 30 seconds, face lather, or bowl had resluted in no steller lather, and the lather disapears after first application on face.
Seems like the boar bristles soak up the suds.  

What am I doing worng!  

Thanks

5 118
 03-13-2017, 01:02 PM
User Info
Boar brushes can have extended break in period during which the tip of the hairs split. Split hairs provide more surface area for soap/cream loading purpose.

I usually test lather about 10 times before using a boar brush for actual shave. The break in process can take weeks/months and only then a boar brush reaches it's full potential.

2 24
 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
What PITA... Wish I knew that before.

I will keep at it.

Test lather in hand? or bowl? How can I make it brake in happen faster?

5 118
 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM
User Info
Any method of lathering will do (just not your face may be)

Also the usual 'de-funk' processes help as well.

2 24
 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
User Info
I used a blow dryer to help speed up the process

19 246
 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM
  • glaze3
  • Las Vegas
User Info
(03-13-2017, 01:06 PM)GKR1 Wrote: What PITA... Wish I knew that before.

I will keep at it.

Test lather in hand? or bowl? How can I make it brake in happen faster?

It's the actual number of times the brush is wet and dries that splits the tips. It does seem like a PITA, but once they're broken in you'll forget all about it. I would say if you want to use them now just double up on your loading time so you get more product on the brush.

0 27
 03-13-2017, 06:03 PM
User Info
Load till you think your ready then load 30 more seconds.

10 146
 03-13-2017, 06:45 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Load like there's no tomorrow and give it a couple of weeks worth of shaves. Boar brushes like to be used.

4 1,937
 03-13-2017, 06:52 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 06:01 PM)glaze3 Wrote: It's the actual number of times the brush is wet and dries that splits the tips. It does seem like a PITA, but once they're broken in you'll forget all about it. I would say if you want to use them now just double up on your loading time so you get more product on the brush.

+1  It pays off when they are broken in, soft tips, good backbone.  Great for face lathering.  Good luck!

15 1,187
 03-13-2017, 08:00 PM
User Info
Use a boar hair brush (stiff bristles) to split the hair of the 830.

6 283
 03-14-2017, 11:28 AM
  • GKR1
  • San Diego
User Info
Thank you Gents! I will keep at it and load more product for time being.

5 118
 03-14-2017, 07:21 PM
User Info
I had similar problems with my 830.  I did more than a dozen break in lathers but I never saw an improvement in lathering.  If you are set on using a boar brush, my advice is to et an Omega.  I have one and for some reason it did not seem to have the same issues as the Semogue.  It broke in fairly quickly, but more importantly the bristles seemed to be much stiffer and more capable of generating lather, especially in a bowl.

11 967
 03-14-2017, 08:06 PM
User Info
Not long ago I had the same problem you are having. 

This is what I did to speed the breaking in process:
- soak the brush for about 10 min in warm water
- palm-lather and rinse as normal
- dry painting the tips of the bristles on a towel for a little longer than you normally would
The before and after drying on the towel was amazing. 

About the disappearing lather: IMO boar is a lot more "sensitive" to low soap contents, you really need to load it a lot more than badger and especially synth. Also, a boar brush *looks* loaded with very little soap (fewer and thicker bristles). My recommendation is to use it a few times with cream. Squeeze in an almond+ sized dollop in the middle of the knot and lather up. That should give you a good sense of how a boar knot looks when fully loaded. 

Have fun.

8 1,064
 03-15-2017, 06:37 AM
User Info
Apart from loading the brush heavily, addition of water, drop by drop gradually helps get the desired lather. You need to repeat this process for 4-5 times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 715
 03-15-2017, 09:45 AM
User Info
I would also add that in my experience of breaking in a couple dozen boar brushes, that's it's not just about splitting the ends but with more use, the bristles absorb more water and then lather creation gets easier as the brush doesn't dry out the lather by soaking up the water out of it..

Keep at it and once fully ready, you'll wonder why you use any other type of brush.

I have several semogue, omega and zenith boars and I love them all!!

0 80
 03-15-2017, 11:40 AM
User Info
I never count while loading the brush I simply load the brush until it will not take on any more soap (puck lather) while loading I add a bit of. Water every so often and with doing this you should be getting more than enough lather.

60 1,410
 03-15-2017, 01:15 PM
User Info
(03-14-2017, 07:21 PM)surfshaver Wrote: I had similar problems with my 830.  I did more than a dozen break in lathers but I never saw an improvement in lathering.  If you are set on using a boar brush, my advice is to et an Omega.  I have one and for some reason it did not seem to have the same issues as the Semogue.  It broke in fairly quickly, but more importantly the bristles seemed to be much stiffer and more capable of generating lather, especially in a bowl.

I agree, after 40 or so hand lathers with both my SOC  and 830 I was finally able to make enough lather for a single pass, way too much effort for a poor payoff.  I PIF'd the SOC and kept the 830 as a project, but honestly have not used it since. Both my Omega brushes were making great lather after 10 or so break in lathers. I always assumed it had something to do the combination of their specific bristle and my water, they just didn't play nice together.

3 248