03-13-2017, 04:03 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
So, here are a couple of pictures, before, and, after: [Image: AmS1YvK.jpg][Image: yOOIkiO.jpg][Image: ovU3MWb.jpg][Image: 4s8fGd7.jpg]

1 589
 03-13-2017, 04:21 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
Alright, so here is how I got it to bloom like that, in just a couple of hours.  

Step One: 

Wash the brush with dish liquid.  Then, make a lather, like you would for shaving, with the dish liquid.  Place the brush in a mug, and, fill with warm water, until the knot is covered.  Wait about five minutes.  Rinse out the mug, &, brush.  Add more dish liquid to the brush.  Wash the bristles, again.  Then, make lather, again, like you did before.  Then place the lathery brush in the mug, but, ADD NO WATER this time, around.   Wait another five minutes, or, so.  Rinse out the mug, and, brush.  Use a toothbrush to remove excess residue from bristles. 

Step Two:

Wash the brush with hand/face soap.  Build up a lather with your favourite bar soap (or, whichever you have on the sink).  Rinse out.  Remove any residue with a toothbrush.  

Step Three:

Shampoo, &, Condition the brush.  When you do this, take your time.  Really work in the lather.  Then, build a lather, in your hand.  Then rinse.  Then, do the same with the conditioner.  Then, thoroughly wring out the brush bristles. 

Step Four:

Lather the brush in shaving soap, as you would for a shave.  Work in the lather like you did the shampoo, &, conditioner. Then, rinse out the lather from the brush.  Then, lather up, again, using shaving cream, this time.  Then, rinse out the shaving cream lather.  Then, wring out the brush thoroughly.  

Step Five:

Lather, for a total of 10 times, alternating between the shaving soap, and, shaving cream.  (or, whatever else you plan on using with the brush, the most often).  This simulates a week's worth of shaves, on average.   Work in the lather like you did the shampoo, &, conditioner.  Rinse out the brush, and, thoroughly wring out.  

Step Six:

Basically, repeat step two.  Shampoo, &, condition, the brush, as you would any other hair.  

Step Seven:  

Lather up, once more, with the shaving soap.  Squeeze the lather, from the brush, and, SAVE IT IN THE MUG.  Then, lather up with shaving cream, in the hand.  Once you have gotten the perfect lather, with the shaving cream, intentionally wreck it, by adding just a drop, or two, of water, to make it just watery enough for a bum shave.  It should look foamy, and, shiny, almost good enough for your face, but, just a tad too wet.  Mix this lather with the lather, in the mug.  

This should get the lather just slightly too foamy to use for a shave.  Why do this?, you may ask.  Well, because you are going to let it stand in the lather for about an hour, or, more.  If you use perfect shaving lather for this, it will dry out too quickly.  The point of this is to allow the brush bristles to absorb as much of the ingredients from the lather, as possible.  And, brush bristles soak up water much better than they do dry soap.  

Let stand for one hour (or, more, depending).  

Step Eight:

Rinse lather from brush.  Thoroughly, wring out, &, dry the brush, as best you can, with a towel.  Comb the brush.  

Step Nine:  

Let dry, overnight.  

The brush should be well bloomed by the time you get to step eight.

1 589
 03-13-2017, 05:40 PM
User Info
That's a long process. I bet it takes at least an hour to complete the first 8 steps. Can you explain how you use a toothbrush to remove soap residue? I've just always put the brush under a sink and squeeze the knot a few times.

11 186
 03-13-2017, 05:44 PM
User Info
Or, just use it. Not to be snarky (well a little snarky), it'll bloom just fine after one or two uses.

Depending on the brush maker (I find that Simpsons and Vulfix brushes are a little funky and Vie Long tend to be outright repellent from the sterilizing) it might make sense to shampoo it or lather it up overnight to facilitate defunkification. Others, like Paladin or M&F are good to go right out of the box, in my opinion.

84 1,505
 03-13-2017, 07:53 PM
User Info
(03-13-2017, 05:44 PM)jpakstis Wrote: Or, just use it.  Not to be snarky (well a little snarky), it'll bloom just fine after one or two uses.  

Depending on the brush maker (I find that Simpsons and Vulfix brushes are a little funky and Vie Long tend to be outright repellent from the sterilizing) it might make sense to shampoo it or lather it up overnight to facilitate defunkification.  Others, like Paladin or M&F are good to go right out of the box, in my opinion.

Signs011

29 1,163
 03-15-2017, 07:57 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Maybe this is what my wife was referring to when she said I needed a twelve step program for my brushes...  Rolleyes

145 2,809
 03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
User Info
We all have our methods but mine starts and stops with the detergent wash.  Then I use it.

73 4,305
 03-15-2017, 09:35 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(03-15-2017, 07:57 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Maybe this is what my wife was referring to when she said I needed a twelve step program for my brushes...  Rolleyes

Now that's funny DaveSmile

59 4,568
 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-13-2017, 05:40 PM)SweetReason Wrote: That's a long process. I bet it takes at least an hour to complete the first 8 steps. Can you explain how you use a toothbrush to remove soap residue? I've just always put the brush under a sink and squeeze the knot a few times.

The whole thing took an hour-and-a-half.  It now feels like I have it had it for a few weeks, instead of just a few days.  

It works.

1 589
 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
For me:
Step One Soak Brush in Borax and hot water for 15 minutes. Usually kills odor
Step 2; Soak brush for 15 minutes in Bay Rum soap and water
Step 3 Soak brush in Conditioner for 5 min no longer (important do not let it soak in conditioner for too long) 
Step 4. Rinse dry and use for shaving the next day

70 1,082
 03-16-2017, 12:46 PM
User Info
Whatever method works for each person is fine.  When I get a new brush, I just shave with it.  Any smell is usually gone in three shaves, but I'm fine if it takes slightly longer

50 6,287
 03-16-2017, 12:59 PM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(03-16-2017, 12:46 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Whatever method works for each person is fine.  When I get a new brush, I just shave with it.  Any smell is usually gone in three shaves, but I'm fine if it takes slightly longer

Signs011

38 1,873
 03-16-2017, 03:19 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-13-2017, 05:40 PM)SweetReason Wrote: That's a long process. I bet it takes at least an hour to complete the first 8 steps. Can you explain how you use a toothbrush to remove soap residue? I've just always put the brush under a sink and squeeze the knot a few times.

Sorry, I missed your question.  

I use the toothbrush to clean the bristles, of my brush, to remove any residue left over from the processing.  I should have made that more clear.  Also, there is a bit of a film, typically, after a soaking with the dish liquid.

1 589
 03-17-2017, 04:01 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
I'm a nutty fanatic about brush funk.
I do whatever it takes, for however long it takes, to get rid of the funk and I will not use it until the smell is 120% gone.
That is never less than 10-15 lathers, with excessive rinsing, for me.

62 2,914
 09-22-2017, 11:18 AM
User Info
Another way to defunk

I bought a brush from Whipped Dog, and he sends along a little packet of Oxyclean (maybe a tsp of it) with instructions that resemble this:

1. Add the oxyclean to maybe 6-8 oz of water
  2. put your brush in a small cup, hair down (obviously)
  3. fill the cup until the water level almost touches the handle
  4. Let it sit for 3 minutes
  5. Remove, rinse out brush as well as you can, and then put it back in the cup
  6. Refill will probably be necessary.  fill to the same level as before.
  7. go back and start at step 4 for two more cycles of soaking and rinsing.
  8. Final rinse
  9. Allow to dry.
  10. Use at will.
Worked really well on 3 of my badger brushes and one boar ... and it doesn't take very long. 

No funk left behind.

0 1
 09-22-2017, 11:28 AM
User Info
With this shave brush i put cold water in the fridge.[Image: b3f25bc6eeddb199769632c80af69c93.jpg][Image: 6eca47937dcf3a6761d1c4c33dd3c2d5.jpg][Image: 5ff28efc811a73352cef8b50a0099db6.jpg][Image: 2f99745bfbe3b31a99a37c28990163bf.jpg]

Enviado do meu SM-C115 através de Tapatalk

0 26