03-14-2017, 01:48 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Note: I am not trying to sell this razor.

This is the triple-silver-plated Bostonian in excellent condition, complete with case, blade case, and shipper. 

The date code (584809B) puts it at 1925. I have not seen the shipper for the silver Bostonian before. There is also an instruction leaflet.

The condition is truly superb and unbelievably there are no cracks in the handle. A few scuff marks on the blade case and cap, that's all. 

The lining is very good, and the Gillette logo is perfect. 

Excuse the not great quality photos Sad

[Image: jfKowpL.jpg]
[Image: 2cXKcjz.jpg]
[Image: Q8r995Y.jpg]

0 1,767
 03-14-2017, 03:06 AM
User Info
That's a great looking set. The Bostonian, to me, is one of the best razors I've ever used.

84 1,505
 03-14-2017, 03:21 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Great find! Thanks for sharing it.

59 4,492
 03-14-2017, 03:22 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-14-2017, 03:06 AM)jpakstis Wrote: That's a great looking set.  The Bostonian, to me, is one of the best razors I've ever used.

I have yet to use it, but I am looking forward to it.

0 1,767
 03-14-2017, 04:52 AM
User Info
Wonderful!

Congrats on having the box and instruction set in particular!  Does the case's razor bed lift mechanism work well?  (Another common issue)  This was my first high-end vintage set (sans box) I bought 9-10 years ago and I paid way too much in retrospect but, I HAD to have it!   Angel  Wonderful shaver, too.

Congrats again and enjoy!

73 4,303
 03-14-2017, 05:38 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(03-14-2017, 04:52 AM)TexBilly Wrote: Wonderful!

Congrats on having the box and instruction set in particular!  Does the case's razor bed lift mechanism work well?  (Another common issue)  This was my first high-end vintage set (sans box) I bought 9-10 years ago and I paid way too much in retrospect but, I HAD to have it!   Angel  Wonderful shaver, too.

Congrats again and enjoy!

Hi Billy, thanks for the post. 

Yes; the mechanism is in perfect working order. I gave it a bit of an internal clean and lubricated it very lightly. It didn't need to come apart to enable me to do that, and so the rise/fall mechanism is slightly smoother now, not that there was an issue. The actual mechanism is not in itself terribly elaborate, and is a bit 'tinny' or something, but it works as well as it was designed to.

0 1,767
 03-24-2017, 05:21 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
I had my first shave with this today. I had three day's growth following cataract surgery and was feeling like, well, you fill in the blank. 

I loaded Bostonian with a 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Blue ... and it gave me a VERY CLOSE shave indeed. In fact, I had three little weepers on my neck - and that almost never happens to me. Other than that, I think it's just a period of adjustment until I get this little silver viper under control.

I wasn't expecting it to be quite as aggressive, but it was also smooth and a pleasure to use. Will become a favourite, for sure.

I know the New Improved can be adjusted slightly, so I might have to tinker with things a little.

I am interested in others experiences with this razor. Anyone care to chime in?

0 1,767
 03-24-2017, 05:53 AM
User Info
My experience with the razor is similar - certainly a direct shave that requires some adjustment from milder razors.  However, I quickly passed the learning curve and once you do, it will give you incredible shaves.  It's just one of the Gillettes that beg for a long, leisurely shave, not a hurry up and get to work shave.  Haven't shaved with mine in some time so that might need to change.  Good luck!

73 4,303