03-14-2017, 07:27 PM
User Info
Any suggestions?

5 286
 03-14-2017, 07:29 PM
User Info
(03-14-2017, 07:27 PM)inspectoring Wrote: Any suggestions?

do you mean modern razors?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 328
 03-14-2017, 07:31 PM
User Info
The one in my hand.... Micromatics, gems, ever readys, streamlines, oneblade v1, damaskeene. Those are few off the top of my head.

10 147
 03-14-2017, 07:33 PM
User Info
Thank you guys - I meant modern ones - excluding one blade......

5 286
 03-14-2017, 07:47 PM
User Info
None, yet.

31 8,056
 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM
User Info
(03-14-2017, 07:47 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: None, yet.

Then why does gem and feather continue to manufacture the blades?? I thought feather was making fhs10 before one blade.....

5 286
 03-14-2017, 08:22 PM
User Info
Simple answer? Cause we keep buying them!
But other than older razors (and several makers are supposedly working on new models that will take these blades), I believe they are used in some laboratories. Though I am not 100% sure about that.

3 328
 03-14-2017, 08:28 PM
User Info
(03-14-2017, 08:07 PM)inspectoring Wrote:

Then why does gem and feather continue to manufacture the blades?? I thought feather was making fhs10 before one blade.....
Feather SE blades were used in a limited production Japanese razor which shows up occasionally on eBay , as well as being used in the large number of Autostrop razors still in circulation. Gems obviously are still used in vintage Gem and Ever Ready razors produced into the 70s..

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 127
 03-15-2017, 03:10 AM
User Info
Thank you guys

5 286
 03-15-2017, 06:23 AM
User Info

Labs! Just look at the Ted Pella website as well as Electron Microscopy Sciences (emsdiasum). These blades aren't going anywhere anytime soon. 

Many people refer to the FHS-10 blade as proprietary for the OneBlade, as in OneBlade contracted with Feather to make the blade to their specifications. Instead, this blade has been around for a long time and the opposite is true; OneBlade designed their razor around that blade. Thankfully, my OneBlade can use GEM blade which is much better for my skin.

31 8,056
 04-01-2017, 12:25 PM
User Info
You guys just see the announcement? Charcoal goods is making a modern lather catcher. You can see it on their Instagram feed. Should be interesting...

3 328
 04-01-2017, 01:02 PM
User Info

Because companies buy them in huge numbers such as: medical institutions, science institutions, construction companies and many more different branches of companies, shavers that buy them are just a drop in the ocean when it comes purchasing Gem blades. I have 400 of the PTFE SS and I'm very small fish when it comes to being customer.

No modern razors use them except for the OneBlade and they need to be modified, although there are 3 companies that are in the process of making modern Gem razor. So far only 1 company has the blue prints of the razor, the 3 piece head that's a test bed made of MIM SS but the final product the head and the handle will be SS Machined.

0 174
 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM
User Info
(04-01-2017, 01:02 PM)bazemk Wrote:

Because companies buy them in huge numbers such as: medical institutions, science institutions, construction companies and many more different branches of companies, shavers that buy them are just a drop in the ocean when it comes purchasing Gem blades. I have 400 of the PTFE SS and I'm very small fish when it comes to being customer.

No modern razors use them except for the OneBlade and they need to be modified, although there are 3 companies that are in the process of making modern Gem razor. So far only 1 company has the blue prints of the razor, the 3 piece head that's a test bed made of MIM SS but the final product the head and the handle will be SS Machined.
did you see my previous post? Is one of the 3 companies you refer to charcoal goods? I know of a couple that are working on this, but the announcement today surprised me.

3 328
 04-01-2017, 03:21 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(04-01-2017, 12:25 PM)NickMach007 Wrote: You guys just see the announcement? Charcoal goods is making a modern lather catcher. You can see it on their Instagram feed. Should be interesting...

Brian says that though he intends to make a Gem blade razor some day, his post of the beautifully designed lather catcher is just a "teaser." Perhaps he feels empowered to post it on April 1 more than other days...

5 318
 04-01-2017, 04:15 PM
User Info
(04-01-2017, 01:09 PM)NickMach007 Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 01:02 PM)bazemk Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 08:07 PM)inspectoring Wrote: Then why does gem and feather continue to manufacture the blades?? I thought feather was making fhs10 before one blade.....

did you see my previous post? Is one of the 3 companies you refer to charcoal goods? I know of a couple that are working on this, but the announcement today surprised me.

Yes I read all the comments, wasn't speaking of Charcoal goods but I just saw their instagram an that lather catcher looks nice. Was speaking of this one https://www.facebook.com/chiseledface/po...8705997380  Also ATT should introduce theirs in March on some shaving promo thingy, The General will also be working on one after they finish creating their DE. Good times for those that love GEM razors, I personally like them a lot and have 7 or 8 different types that are only all brass, its a mix of GEMs and ERs. To be honest I tried all the modern available Gem  blades  on the market and the Personna GEM SS PTFE are the only reason why I got into shaving with Gem razors and I ended up collecting them. Those blades made me start liking the Gem type razors.

0 174
 04-01-2017, 04:23 PM
User Info
(04-01-2017, 04:15 PM)bazemk Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 01:09 PM)NickMach007 Wrote:
(04-01-2017, 01:02 PM)bazemk Wrote: Because companies buy them in huge numbers such as: medical institutions, science institutions, construction companies and many more different branches of companies, shavers that buy them are just a drop in the ocean when it comes purchasing Gem blades. I have 400 of the PTFE SS and I'm very small fish when it comes to being customer.

Yes I read all the comments, wasn't speaking of Charcoal goods but I just saw their instagram an that lather catcher looks nice. Was speaking of this one https://www.facebook.com/chiseledface/po...8705997380  Also ATT should introduce theirs in March on some shaving promo thingy, The General will also be working on one after they finish creating their DE. Good times for those that love GEM razors, I personally like them a lot and have 7 or 8 different types that are only all brass, its a mix of GEMs and ERs. To be honest I tried all the modern available Gem  blades  on the market and the Personna GEM SS PTFE are the only reason why I got into shaving with Gem razors and I ended up collecting them. Those blades made me start liking the Gem type razors.

yeah I saw the chiseled face announcement as well. I completely agree about your blade choice. The SS PTFE blades are the only ones I found to be good out of the available GEM style blades. Next few months should be quite interesting!

3 328
 04-02-2017, 12:25 AM
User Info
For collectors quite a few of the old wedge blade razors can use Gem blades too.  I have both Henckels Rapide and CV Heljestrand wedge blade razors that give an outstanding shave with the Gem PTFE blades.  I love the looks of them too and the CV Heljestrand is one of the last lather catchers made.  Additionally the last model of it was made in both nickel plated brass and stainless steel.  I have both versions of it and any members who doubt it are welcome to visit me and see for themselves.  It is one of three stainless steel razors made prior to WW2 I know of including the Darwin and the "Watts Service".  The Watts says right on the box "Stainless Throughout" and the description in Waits Compendium regarding it has errors.  Apparently a very scarce razor.

I have not been able to find info on the CVH stainless razor but I am a hobbyist machinist and have run about every check I can on my two that are SS and do not see how they can be anything else.  That includes an abrasion check in a hidden area and they are not chromium or silver plated.  They are totally different material than the third I have which has enough wear to the nickel plating that it is obviously plated brass.  With a strong magnet the two CVH stainless razors have the same magnetic attractive strength as my 303 stainless steel modern razor.  This is much stronger than the reaction of my nickel plated PAA DOC razor.  Nickel is slightly magnetic attractive if a heavy enough plating and checked with a strong magnet.

Quite a few other old wedge blade razors can use the Gem blades too if they were built to use either Kampfe, German, French or Swedish size wedge blades and have blade stops for the bottom edge of the blade to rest on.  A good thing as wedge blades for them are no longer made and a lot of those remaining are in very bad shape.  The old Wilkinson tall wedge blade razor I have is designed for wide enough blades so trying to use it with the Gem blades scares me.  I have read that some have done so.

0 6