03-14-2017, 10:19 PM
User Info
Came across an interesting version of Gillette Platinum…the white packs with blue and silver lettering.

Apparently made for the saudi arabian market in the St Petersburg facility (54 Pulovskaya)….arabic writing on the sides  etc.

[Image: QP6n6fG.jpg]

[Image: gy8D8ha.jpg]

[Image: uNMqfuA.jpg]

Bought 5 just to try out…these are just the way I like my blades as an everyday shaver.

Just the right amount of sharp, but not overly so…but oh so smooth…buttery smooth.

Polsilver SI and Polsilver Stainless vintage do provide a BBS shave….but they dont leave my face feeling this comfortable.

Im on my 4th shave now and they are still going good…I'll be more than happy if I got five.

Anyway, these were so good that I went back and got a 100.

The best part was the price….a shade over $10.

1 107
 03-15-2017, 12:41 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-14-2017, 10:19 PM)Tester28 Wrote: Came across an interesting version of Gillette Platinum…the white packs with blue and silver lettering.

Apparently made for the saudi arabian market in the St Petersburg facility (54 Pulovskaya)….arabic writing on the sides  etc.

I bought some purported Gillette Platinum blades that were packaged like that through Amazon (U.S.A.), from an independent seller that has a storefront on Amazon.  On inspection of the contents, I became convinced that the blades were counterfeit.  The printing on the blades had shadowed and broken characters, and was not crisp and distinct, unlike the printing on other blades that I have used that were made at the St. Petersburg facility; the wax dots were of different sizes, off-centered left-to-right on the blade, and higher than the blade's center line; etc.
[Image: oCzqscP.jpg] 
Compare the two e characters in “Gillette”; see the broken circled R symbol, and the shadows of the characters in “Platinum.”

The most telling sign (to me) was the number of places, in packaging that superficially was aimed for Arabic-language countries for blades purportedly manufactured in St. Petersburg, the phrase "Made in Russia," in Latin characters (neither cryllic nor Arabic), and not well aligned on the wrapper, appeared.  

I returned the blades without using them.  Amazon gave me a full refund.

0 1,005
 03-15-2017, 07:33 PM
User Info
Tester28 got some really good blades for only about 10 cents per blade.

0 362
 03-16-2017, 06:21 AM
User Info
Mel

The blade you've pictured does indeed look a bit dodgy…good you returned them. I didnt get mine from a website but from a 
large department store in singapore called mustafa. The printing on mine checks out fine.

I tried shave no. 5 today and these blades barely squeaked over the finish line….so in my book, they're good for 4 shaves and a toss.

1 107
 03-16-2017, 08:52 AM
User Info
I ordered some from the vendor here at TSN (dcc) so I'm looking forward to trying them for the first time.  By his vendor standing, I'm assuming his are are legit and I'm sorry for the dubious quality of the one shown above.  Glad you were refunded.

73 3,969
 03-16-2017, 10:04 AM
User Info
(03-16-2017, 08:52 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I ordered some from the vendor here at TSN (dcc) so I'm looking forward to trying them for the first time.  By his vendor standing, I'm assuming his are are legit and I'm sorry for the dubious quality of the one shown above.  Glad you were refunded.

Tex, I think you're good.  I bought some Polsilvers from him and they were legit.  I saw that he started selling Gillette Platinums and was happy to see it.  They are more expensive elsewhere.  I am of the opinion that they may be the best overall DE blade available among those currently manufactured.

11 937
 03-16-2017, 10:10 AM
User Info
(03-16-2017, 10:04 AM)surfshaver Wrote:
(03-16-2017, 08:52 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I ordered some from the vendor here at TSN (dcc) so I'm looking forward to trying them for the first time.  By his vendor standing, I'm assuming his are are legit and I'm sorry for the dubious quality of the one shown above.  Glad you were refunded.

Tex, I think you're good.  I bought some Polsilvers from him and they were legit.  I saw that he started selling Gillette Platinums and was happy to see it.  They are more expensive elsewhere.  I am of the opinion that they may be the best overall DE blade available among those currently manufactured.

Excellent feedback - I'll report back after I receive and use them.

73 3,969
 03-17-2017, 03:23 AM
User Info
(03-16-2017, 08:52 AM)TexBilly Wrote: I ordered some from the vendor here at TSN (dcc) so I'm looking forward to trying them for the first time.  

Just checked out his site and they are $20 for 100….so looks like i got mine at half that price.
Went back to see if I could score a 100 more but some cretin had manhandled the last three 100-packs
rendering them unpurchaseable.  Facepalm

1 107
 05-16-2017, 10:00 AM
User Info
I Think this blades similar with Silver Blue too.

0 19
 05-16-2017, 11:40 AM
  • Quando
  • A Diplomatic Immunity Zone
User Info
Those are a very popular type of razor blade.  I am glad you enjoy them, and, I hope you get a lot of use, from that 100 pack.

1 419
 05-16-2017, 11:50 AM
  • Quando
  • A Diplomatic Immunity Zone
User Info
(05-16-2017, 10:00 AM)Robert Bisognini Wrote: I Think this blades similar with Silver Blue too.

Silver Blue Razor Blades are Stainless Steel, coated with teflon, and, honed to be sharp, yet still smooth.  

The Platinum Blades are, I believe, an alloy of Platinum, and, Steel, and, then, coated with Platinum, again.  They are honed in a similar way.

1 419
 05-18-2017, 08:46 AM
User Info
I get a crazy no of shaves with a GSB…longest lasting blade I have….

1 107
 06-04-2017, 12:52 PM
User Info
To Me the Gellette Silver Blues are quite  a  bit sharper than the Gillette Platinums and so are the
Nacets and the Polsilvers SI ,the Platinums are on
Par with the 7o'clock india green in sharpness which
Is very  good...

0 15