03-19-2017, 08:51 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-18-2017, 02:39 PM)zykorex Wrote: Great thread! Just for completeness sake, what is the official designation of the knot in your Paladin brush?

2CSND3

From Ken's website (https://www.paladinshaving.com/pages/knot-notes):

06/04/16

2CSND3
April 2016
When ordered in March 2016, these knots were expected to match the specifications against which the 2CSNL2 knots (see above) were produced in the fourth quarter of 2015, and they generally turned out to by appearance as well as in terms of base and height dimensions. Overall, however, the 2CSND3 knots we’ve measured to date have appreciably more free-loft than the 2CSNL2s. Moreover, although we detected a bit scritch in some of the 2CSNL2 knots we trialed, so far we haven’t experienced any scritch from use of 2CSND3 knots. That said, we’ve only tested a few of them. And mileage will inevitably vary.

136 2,557
 03-19-2017, 09:51 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
[Image: P0dSM8X.jpg][Image: SnluDQb.jpg]
M&F on the left

Wiborg vs. Morris & Forndran (Brad Sears) 2XL Finest

Brad Sears recent collaboration with Lee Sabini has brought a resurgence to the Morris & Forndran brand.  With access to an M&F brush just a couple of clicks away, the frustration experienced by many in trying to obtain a brush has been completely removed.  There are differences in brushes purchased from Brad and those obtained directly from Lee and most are an improvement, in my opinion.  The biggest improvement is that the handles are now handmade on a lathe by Brad which is a nice upgrade over the traditionally CNC lathed models available from Lee.  As a man that appreciates skilled craftsmanship, I truly value this added touch.  While Brad and Lee have made some changes to the designs of some models, the 2XL remains true to it's heritage.  Actually this model is the same as the original XL series which featured two rings rather than the latter three, I prefer the aesthetics of the double-ring model.  Enough rambling on about the brand, lets see how it stacks up against the Wiborg.

Both the Wiborg and the M&F have excellent craftsmanship.  The handles are both well made and of a similar design.  The M&F has a nicer silhouette to my eyes and the finishing is also a bit nicer.  The knots are similarly of high quality with great shape and both lack a detectable glue bump.  The tips of the Wiborg are very fine and curled while the 2XL has straight naturally tapered ends.  I have not used this 2XL much yet and perhaps they will curl with more use.  The knot from Mr. Sabini is a bit denser, but not overly so as in the original Rooney heritage XL models.

As mentioned in the previous comparisons the tips on the Wiborg are incredibly soft, yet natural feeling rather than the gel-like feel.  The M&F isn't as soft, yet not scratchy or prickly, more inline with what I would consider scrubby.  The densely packed 2XL has a nice flannel feel, following the analogy of high thread count cotton on the Wiborg.  The splay is more controlled on the Morris & Forndran and the hairs are more resilient, giving it more backbone than the White Badger knot.  As with the previous reviews, both brushes were an absolute pleasure to face lather with.  This was another tight battle, but for my tastes the Wiborg walks away the victor.  If those tips soften up on the Brad Sears/M&F brush, though, it could easily be the winner.

136 2,557
 03-20-2017, 07:34 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Now of all he results, I thought for sure this would be the loss for the Wiborg.  Impressive!

10 746
 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I've been given some more time with this great brush so will be doing another head-to-head batch this weekend.  I just need to figure out which brushes to pit against it, I think it might be time to turn up the heat...

136 2,557
 03-22-2017, 02:25 PM
User Info
(03-22-2017, 02:19 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I've been given some more time with this great brush so will be doing another head-to-head batch this weekend.  I just need to figure out which brushes to pit against it, I think it might be time to turn up the heat...

Dave, the Wiborg may go undefeated.

39 3,934
 03-22-2017, 08:32 PM
User Info
(03-18-2017, 08:24 AM)blzrfn Wrote:
Today's Matchup:

[Image: NrqcsCq.jpg][Image: W39Cz76.jpg]
 (Paladin on left in this photo)

Paladin vs. Wiborg

Although the intent of these comparisons was to put the Wiborg up against brushes that are easier to obtain, Ken and the Dark Holler crew are making such excellent brushes that each offering sells out within minutes.  But, at least they are offered up on a regular basis at their website and occasionally secondhand on the forums.  The construction of the Paladin brushes have been second to none, especially since they brought the knot installation in-house.  They have teamed up with a very skilled knot manufacturer that is producing well formed, moderately dense knots.  Their handle design and finish work are where Paladin truly stands above the crowd.  This gives Paladin a huge advantage over Wiborg, in my opinion, as most Wiborg handle shapes seem to lack a refinement in design, most copying other manufacturer's designs, but in a less refined and typically more chunky fashion.  However, this particular Wiborg brush is ideal for my tastes in both size and shape and would probably be nearly the exact brush I would order if given the chance.

As with the Shavemac before it this Paladin has slightly softer tips than the Wiborg, although without any synthetic feel (gel-like if you wish).  I compared the Wiborg to a high-thread count cotton and the Paladin takes that same sensation and elevates it.  I have to admit part of this is due to the more controlled splay on the Falstaff, making the brush feel more dense on my face. So if both brushes have equally soft tips but one has a more controlled splay, the latter brush will have a even more luxurious feel on the skin.

As with the Shavemac before it, the Paladin feels like it has a similar density to the Wiborg.  The Paladin has a slightly shorter loft and a small glue bump giving the Falstaff less "Free Loft" as Ken calls it.  This combination gives the Paladin quite a bit more backbone than the Wiborg, I prefer the more natural feel of the Wiborg's splay but as I know with my other Paladin brushes this is easily attainable by choosing a brush with more free loft.  My current Paladin collection only consists of a couple of brushes, but if I had a brush available with a higher free loft the Paladin would walk away the unquestionable winner.  As it is I'm going to call this one a wash as both brushes were so good I didn't want to stop face lathering.
Paladin does make a very nice brush. I agree with you about the handles but I don't know what Wiborg you own but I have owned every generation of the Paladin brushes and not one can beat my Wiborg!!!! The Wiborg I own is very dense wonderful backbone and gel like pillowy tips. Handles may win with Paladin but overall I would take Wiborg any day of the,week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

15 484
 8 hours ago
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Wiborg vs. Semogue LE (2016)

[Image: 83RzhQK.jpg]
[Image: qsIxujL.jpg]Semogue on Left

This Butterscotch Semogue LE 2016 was designed and produced for the Foro Afeitado Spanish shaving forum.  The brush uniquely features a specially selected two-band knot of natural-tipped hair in a beautifully formed bulb shape and as always the knot is set in a metal ring.  The handles by Semogue have always left me wanting a little more, but even though the design and color aren't exactly breath-taking on this model, it does feel great in hand.  In the aesthetics battle the Wiborg wins the handle portion, but the tidy knot of the Semogue is undeniably more appealing.

On to the talent portion of our competition.  Again, I used both brushes for today's shave, one for the first pass and the other for the second.  The brushes are nowhere near similar in use.  The Semogue has a much firmer backbone due to the bulb shape and glue bump and has very little splay.  The Wiborg, as already mentioned several times in these posts, splays rather easily with moderate backbone.  The Wiborg also has slightly softer tips and when compared to the Semogue, don't feel quite as natural as during the earlier comparisons.  Keeping with my high-thread count cotton reference on the Wiborg, the Semogue is like a very fine linen.  Both feel incredible on my face but the Semogue almost allows each individual hair tip to be felt, it is an interesting sensation and one that I can say is not very common.  While I do prefer the feel of the Wiborg, the Semogue is such an interesting brush that it absolutely deserves a spot in my collection.  This Wiborg is definitely impressive and remains undefeated, so far...

136 2,557
 6 hours ago
User Info
Awesome and through reviews Sir! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. If you still have enough time with the brush would love to hear your thoughts comparing the Wiborg to a plisson 2 band and a Simpson 2 band/SilverTip!

4 690
 4 hours ago
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(6 hours ago)snowman Wrote: Awesome and through reviews Sir! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. If you still have enough time with the brush would love to hear your thoughts comparing the Wiborg to a plisson 2 band and a Simpson 2 band/SilverTip!

I will have a couple more coming this weekend but will be returning the brush next week as I am leaving for vacation the following weekend.  I don't think I will involve the Plisson HMW 2-band because it is such a unique brush that really wouldn't stand up in a head-to-head comparison.  I definitely have to be in the right mood to use it because if I'm not I'll get the urge to just get rid of it, much like I did all my Rooney Finest.

136 2,557
 2 hours ago
User Info
(4 hours ago)blzrfn Wrote:
(6 hours ago)snowman Wrote: Awesome and through reviews Sir! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. If you still have enough time with the brush would love to hear your thoughts comparing the Wiborg to a plisson 2 band and a Simpson 2 band/SilverTip!

I will have a couple more coming this weekend but will be returning the brush next week as I am leaving for vacation the following weekend.  I don't think I will involve the Plisson HMW 2-band because it is such a unique brush that really wouldn't stand up in a head-to-head comparison.  I definitely have to be in the right mood to use it because if I'm not I'll get the urge to just get rid of it, much like I did all my Rooney Finest.

Good to know about the plissons! I know the feeling!
Looking forward to the coming up reviews

4 690