03-17-2017, 08:06 AM
User Info
Just got an email that both these SE razors are available for sale. Here is the catch. The are both on pre-order and not available until June. In addition the Cobra Classic now costs $220 (blades not included). The King Cobra is priced at $260 (blades not included). Personally I don't pre-order (pay in advance). That is a rip off IMHO. I did it once but never again. The razors look the same nothing has changed as far as I can tell.

122 13,223
 03-17-2017, 08:57 AM
User Info
Thanks for the info

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk Pro

3 1,136
 03-17-2017, 08:58 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
At one point I had both Cobras (and mongoose and AsylumRX, etc.).  I sold them all since I couldn't get along with the blades used.
The price hike is a money grab IMHO.  The Cobra Classic (first issue) was sexy as hell, but later versions had too many visual/mechanical problems to make them appealing to me.
Hope those who want them, can get them.  More power to you.

47 1,953
 03-17-2017, 05:20 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
The classic is a very visually appealing razor and dominated the market when it was the only option for an SE...now though, a lot of other options with better build quality. The King is a decent razor but again I'm not sure the head design/blade holding mechanism makes a lot of sense in comparison to other current offerings.

IMHO the Asylum RX is a much improved version of the Cobra head design--similar geometry with improved mechanism.

At these new prices it's a really tough sell.

13 154
 03-17-2017, 05:23 PM
User Info
Guess I can breathe and take this one off my list....

73 4,338
 03-17-2017, 05:35 PM
User Info
It had its day. Arguably now rendered obsolete by the Asylum RX.

51 6,454
 03-17-2017, 06:07 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I haven't tried an Asylum but I'd say the Classic Cobra and King Cobra are far from obsolete.  Both are great looking designs that perform very well.  I have both in my rotation and would gladly buy them again.  I would like to try an Asylum one of these days.

Eric

49 992
 03-17-2017, 06:18 PM
User Info
(03-17-2017, 05:35 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: It had its day. Arguably now rendered obsolete by the Asylum RX.

(03-17-2017, 06:07 PM)EricM Wrote: I haven't tried an Asylum but I'd say the Classic Cobra and King Cobra are far from obsolete.  Both are great looking designs that perform very well.  I have both in my rotation and would gladly buy them again.  I would like to try an Asylum one of these days.

Eric

I would say the development of new razor designs is very healthy for our little "hobby".  Just think about the many new designs and cycles of evolution we've seen in just the last 10 years!  Quality vendors and entrepreneurs, faced with the newest and shiny competitive product, will adapt and offer us the next great thing!  And we will buy it.  It's a good time to be a wetshaver.  Cool

73 4,338
 03-17-2017, 08:14 PM
User Info
Very happy to hear this. The Classic Cobra, along with the Asylum Rx are two of my favorite SEs, and I'm happy to be able to get a backup. Both are great shavers, and their looks are beautiful.

24 664
 03-17-2017, 09:06 PM
User Info
I have classic cobra and traded my king for wolfman. But now you have so many options including asylum Rx , hawk, general and I guess all shave similar or better. I got my Hawk SS last week and that thing is built like a tank for just $60

Who needs Cobra and it's bite ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 267
 03-18-2017, 01:57 AM
User Info
I love the Cobra classic.  It was my first safety razor.  Shave is still the best in my experience.  If it was a stainless steel version I would have no problem with this price and would pick up another.

I recently sold a NOS Cobra classic that I had as a spare.  If I knew the Asylum Rx shave was the same as the Cobra I would have one already.

1 162
 03-18-2017, 04:16 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Legendary Shaver! It will always have a place in my den and was the first razor I purchased a back up copy ofSmile

61 4,645
 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM
User Info
The Cobra Classic and Asylum Rx are probably my two favorite razors.  I'm glad I had a chance to pick up a CC recently.  Glad to see others will get the opportunity.

21 1,829
 03-18-2017, 08:40 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
The Cobra Classic has always been my favorite non-straight razor. I now use the Asylum Rx more frequently, as I enjoy it's quality build and weight, and the easy to grip handle. Classic Shaving is now owned by a different company, and one with not the greatest reputation, so I'm not surprised about their pre-order offer.

38 5,201
 03-18-2017, 09:13 AM
User Info
(03-18-2017, 08:40 AM)evnpar Wrote: The Cobra Classic has always been my favorite non-straight razor. I now use the Asylum Rx more frequently, as I enjoy it's quality build and weight, and the easy to grip handle. Classic Shaving is now owned by a different company, and one with not the greatest reputation, so I'm not surprised about their pre-order offer.

This is a good point.  Classic Shaving is now owned by The Grooming Network, a conglomerate which has purchased sites such as Classic Shaving and Vintage Blades LLC and seems intent on taking over as much of the market as possible.  In addition to purchasing vendors, it is purchasing hundreds of possible domain names related to shaving, such as StraightRazor.com and StraightRazors.com  This conglomerate gives the impression you are dealing with individual shaving sites, when in reality everything is run out of a complex in Idaho.  Do some research and decide for yourself whether this is an entity you want to support.

51 6,454
 03-18-2017, 09:43 AM
User Info
That explains why that weird other Artist Club blade razor is also for sale on the site.

10 1,460