03-26-2017, 04:43 PM
User Info
A quick check of my inventory shows that I own about 7 brushes, 50 razors, and 30 soaps/creams. Of these, I currently use 2 brushes, 5 razors, and maybe half a dozen soaps (no creams). I've been into the hobby for just over 6 years, and it's obviously never been about minimalism for me. One of these days I'll probably unload a bunch of stuff. My general trend has been towards less rather than more -- though the new and forthcoming SE razors have been a big temptation, as has the burgeoning availability of artisanal handles. Is HAD -- Handle Acquisition Disorder -- a recognized acronym? It should be....

0 62
 03-29-2017, 02:33 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone for contributing and sharing your respective experience. 

I sense a general trend that alot of folks, like me, spent up big when they first got into wet shaving as a hobby, and then have tended to settled down as time went on. Then there are the die hards who just like collecting - and to each their own. 

I should say I love reading about different folks experiences with different soaps, razors and blades etc. I enjoy the vicarious experience, and it saves me a ton of money!

0 35
 03-29-2017, 04:54 PM
User Info
I'm fairly close to being a minimalist. I have a few razors but now only use the One Blade and ATT S1. I only use Myrsol Emulsion for a Pre-shave. I only use Nancy Boy Signature shaving cream. Finally, I use Myrsol Antesol in the cold months, and Myrsol Blue in the warm months as my aftershaves. So, I've found what I like and don't see any need to change.

0 143
 03-30-2017, 04:13 PM
  • Quando
  • The Galactic Empire
User Info
I have done this.  I have one of everything.  Only one.  One soap, one aftershave balm, etc.  That is it.

0 304
 03-30-2017, 06:47 PM
User Info
(03-29-2017, 04:54 PM)Red One Wrote: I'm fairly close to being a minimalist.  I have a few razors but now only use the One Blade and ATT S1.  I only use Myrsol Emulsion for a Pre-shave.  I only use Nancy Boy Signature shaving cream.  Finally, I use Myrsol Antesol in the cold months, and Myrsol Blue in the warm months as my aftershaves. So, I've found what I like and don't see any need to change.

Ahhh - now I am interested in your thoughts of the One Blade vs ATT S1. I use the ATT S1 and love it. Is there any great advantage to the One Blade, assuming you had the ATT S1 first? Put another way - would you buy it again knowing what you know now?

I bought the ATT SE1, and have only used it twice, but know it isn't for me. Too tough on my skin.

Thanks

0 35
 03-30-2017, 06:48 PM
User Info
(03-30-2017, 04:13 PM)Quando Wrote: I have done this.  I have one of everything.  Only one.  One soap, one aftershave balm, etc.  That is it.

Thank God. I was beginning to think I was alone. What did you settle on (if you don't mind me asking)?

0 35
 04-06-2017, 08:21 AM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
Currently. Five soaps, two creams, three brushes, two SE, two DE, and two straights. And really using the straights, one brush, and all the software. I should get rid of more stuff.

16 379
 04-07-2017, 02:43 AM
  • Quando
  • The Galactic Empire
User Info
(03-30-2017, 06:48 PM)Andrew George Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 04:13 PM)Quando Wrote: I have done this.  I have one of everything.  Only one.  One soap, one aftershave balm, etc.  That is it.

Thank God. I was beginning to think I was alone. What did you settle on (if you don't mind me asking)?

Hi.  My apologies, I just saw this your reply. 

I have settled on Merkur, and, Proraso.  I used, previously, an Italian made clone of a vintage Gillette razor.  It got messed up, and, I switched to a Parker 96R, which is too aggressive, for my face. So, I switched to a Merkur 38C.  I tried to find the right blade, settled into a rotation, then decided to only have one.  The Merkur blades won out. I realized, then, that to get the best shave, the razor, and, blade, should match.  Gillette blades for Gillette razors, and, clones, Merkur blades for Merkur razor, etc.  

I also use the Merkur Moustache & Eyebrow razor, for detailing the trickier areas.

I use the original Proraso, now called their green line.  I had been using their balm, and, pre-shave for a few months, and, decided to try their soap, and, cream.  I was using Soap Smooth Bordeaux, but, it requires you to build the lather right directly on the soap, and, this caused my (injured) shoulder to get tired, too quickly.  So, I switched to Proraso soap, &, cream.  A few days ago, I realized something was missing, so, I added their aftershave tonic, to my routine.   It smells like a barbershop in Milan, it is perfect.  I use their soap for the first pass, and, the cream for the second, and, touch-up/detailing passes.  

I use a handmade shaving brush, with a finest badger hair knot.  And, a handmade shaving mug, for building lather.  

I also use an alum block, this time I got the Osma one.  Oh, yeah, I, also, keep a Pinaud Clubman styptic pencil, in the medicine cabinet. 

Finally, I like to think of shaving as part of washing the face, so, included in my kit are Simple Face Wash, which is a liquid face wash, and, Claus Porto Rozan toilette soap.  I use them, respectively, before, and, after shaving.

0 304
 04-07-2017, 06:33 PM
User Info
hard to spend $500 on 3 items? you know there are people that shell out $3000 - $5000 for a New Gillette Toggle lol.... Don't under estimate the power when hobby becomes addiction haha... There are people on some forums with $2000+ razors only, makes me wonder how many soaps, aftershaves,brushes they have....

Although I'm guilty of spending around $500 in the last 2 years every since I started shaving with safety razors, but I don't go over board buying expensive stuff, I actually made in on the list for Wolfman razors and when my turn came to place the order I realized I would be only wasting money.....

0 135
 04-09-2017, 10:20 PM
User Info
(04-07-2017, 02:43 AM)Quando Wrote:
(03-30-2017, 06:48 PM)Andrew George Wrote:

Hi.  My apologies, I just saw this your reply. 

I have settled on Merkur, and, Proraso.  I used, previously, an Italian made clone of a vintage Gillette razor.  It got messed up, and, I switched to a Parker 96R, which is too aggressive, for my face. So, I switched to a Merkur 38C.  I tried to find the right blade, settled into a rotation, then decided to only have one.  The Merkur blades won out. I realized, then, that to get the best shave, the razor, and, blade, should match.  Gillette blades for Gillette razors, and, clones, Merkur blades for Merkur razor, etc.  

I also use the Merkur Moustache & Eyebrow razor, for detailing the trickier areas.

I use the original Proraso, now called their green line.  I had been using their balm, and, pre-shave for a few months, and, decided to try their soap, and, cream.  I was using Soap Smooth Bordeaux, but, it requires you to build the lather right directly on the soap, and, this caused my (injured) shoulder to get tired, too quickly.  So, I switched to Proraso soap, &, cream.  A few days ago, I realized something was missing, so, I added their aftershave tonic, to my routine.   It smells like a barbershop in Milan, it is perfect.  I use their soap for the first pass, and, the cream for the second, and, touch-up/detailing passes.  

I use a handmade shaving brush, with a finest badger hair knot.  And, a handmade shaving mug, for building lather.  

I also use an alum block, this time I got the Osma one.  Oh, yeah, I, also, keep a Pinaud Clubman styptic pencil, in the medicine cabinet. 

Finally, I like to think of shaving as part of washing the face, so, included in my kit are Simple Face Wash, which is a liquid face wash, and, Claus Porto Rozan toilette soap.  I use them, respectively, before, and, after shaving.

Thanks for your detailed reply - great read!

0 35
 04-09-2017, 10:23 PM
User Info
(04-07-2017, 06:33 PM)bazemk Wrote: hard to spend $500 on 3 items? you know there are people that shell out $3000 - $5000 for a New Gillette Toggle lol.... Don't under estimate the power when hobby becomes addiction haha... There are people on some forums with $2000+ razors only, makes me wonder how many soaps, aftershaves,brushes they have....

Although I'm guilty of spending around $500 in the last 2 years every since I started shaving with safety razors, but I don't go over board buying expensive stuff, I actually made in on the list for Wolfman razors and when my turn came to place the order I realized I would be only wasting money.....

Well, I guess there are rich people everywhere, who have little sense of proportion and even less social conscience. Nice to hear from a fellow traveller who has both.

0 35
 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM
User Info
I followed German when I started wet shaving regarding brushes.  now that I am a committed brush addict with about 60 I still enjoy finding great brushes.  at 68 years old, semi retired it is what I do.  Meeting Ken from Paladin was even more inspiring to collect more.  I am down to 30 soaps/creams, 15 razors but I still pif and give stuff away. everyone has different things that float their  boat mine is tallow soap put on with a magnificent brush and taken off with a new se

67 1,195
 04-14-2017, 11:24 AM
User Info
Great idea.  I'm going to start with a "One Room" approach.  One room to fill with razors...One room to fill with brushes...One room to fill with Soaps...etc
That's how it feels sometimes!

I'm good with acquiring new items.  I only have one or two other hobbies I really love.

I haven't let it get out of hand, YET.  I'm sure I'll reach a limit where I'll say "ok if I buy a new (insert object name here) I'll get rid of one" or the wife will TELL me "no more till you get rid of some"

0 52
 04-17-2017, 06:56 PM
User Info
(04-14-2017, 11:24 AM)HarryBadge Wrote: Great idea.  I'm going to start with a "One Room" approach.  One room to fill with razors...One room to fill with brushes...One room to fill with Soaps...etc
That's how it feels sometimes!

I'm good with acquiring new items.  I only have one or two other hobbies I really love.

I haven't let it get out of hand, YET.  I'm sure I'll reach a limit where I'll say "ok if I buy a new (insert object name here) I'll get rid of one" or the wife will TELL me "no more till you get rid of some"

The "One Room" approach - made me smile, - thanks.  

I can believe some members here have got to that point.

0 35
 04-18-2017, 02:05 AM
  • Quando
  • The Galactic Empire
User Info
I just replaced my Merkur 38C HD with a G&F Timor 1322.  The Timor blades are obviously superior.  There is no question about their performance.  The razor itself is lighter, though, not really a light-weight razor.  A good middle ground.  The Merkur was just too heavy on my face.  The Timor 1550 Vintage is even bigger than the Merkur.  I am really pleased with the switch. 

I will probably 'PIF' my extra things.

0 304
 04-20-2017, 07:59 AM
User Info
(04-18-2017, 02:05 AM)Quando Wrote: I will probably 'PIF' my extra things.

Nice plan.  I will start reducing the contents of my den soon.  I'll sell things with value.  As for some of the smaller items that most shavers already have and can be difficult to sell, PIF'ing to new wetshavers may be the ticket.

0 7