03-18-2017, 08:07 AM
User Info
If anyone has used both the sb and the oc timeless razor heads in .95 blade would you please tell me if you notice any difference. I ordered the .68 and the .95 sb timeless and after trying both the .95 worked better for me shaved very close to my futur in terms of smoothness. I and returning the .68 sb plate and I am considering exchanging for the .95 oc plate. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

5 116
 03-18-2017, 08:12 AM
User Info
I had both, plus the OC.68. Returned the SB.95 as I found that the two OCs covered the bases well. More than one day's growth, and I reach for the bigger gap. But the audio feedback was possibly even greater with the SB. The thing is, though, that the Timeless OC version is so smooth that it's like an SB, only more efficient. Thus, OCs stayed. I think you'll be pleased with your new plate Smile

2 66
 03-18-2017, 09:13 AM
User Info
Is it riskier (in terms of cutting oneself) to use OC than a SB?

I have been drooling on timeless for a while now and still undecided if I should take a plunge. Your views Pls on the aggressiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 804
 03-18-2017, 09:38 AM
User Info
(03-18-2017, 09:13 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Is it riskier (in terms of cutting oneself) to use OC than a SB?

I have been drooling on timeless for a while now and still undecided if I should take a plunge. Your views Pls on the aggressiveness.

I am no expert and after shaving with a DE for three years I found I prefer mid aggressive razors and I don't like blade feel that much on my face. My skin is kinda of sensitive with all of that being said I have found the two best razors I have ever used have been the merkur futur in 2.5 and the ikon sb razor. I tend to use mild blades such as lord razor blades (shark, racer, all lord stainless steel blades). After using the timeless a couple of times I like the .95 blade the best it actually shaves as smooth as my futur with very little blade feel and it doesn't leave any patches that I have to constantly go over like when I used the .68 base plate. I've only used the sb plate so I can not say about the others but this razor is a keeper. I've read some people could not shave with it (.95 plate) everyday if that becomes an issue for me I will rotate it with my futur, I truly am impressed with the razor I highly recommend the pineapple handle. I prefer shorter handles but I immediately messed with this handle. So if you can handle a futur around 3 or the ikon sb razor the .95 will be right there I won't say it is smoother than the futur but it is smoother than the ikon sb which was my favorite for a few years. I see stuff about wolfman razors all the time but after seeing how hard they are to buy and seeing the reviews of people who have a timeless and a wolfman I decided the timeless was worth a chance. I am very happy I did now.

5 116
 03-18-2017, 10:05 AM
User Info
(03-18-2017, 09:13 AM)Jags009 Wrote: Is it riskier (in terms of cutting oneself) to use OC than a SB?

All else equal (blade exposure, gap, model), I've never noticed much difference.  The open combs just provide a different approach to stretching the skin and cutting whiskers. Open combs may be more effective at shaving than their SB brothers but I've never experienced a higher nick/cut rate.

73 4,303
 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
I have used all the timeless baseplates and for me the 68 OC was the best. The 95 is still super smooth just a tad more efficient

3 62
 05-02-2017, 06:30 AM
User Info
Great write up. I'm going to exchange my .68 OC for a .95 SB today. Less passes means less irritation if I'm doing the math correctly.

1 41
 05-02-2017, 06:55 AM
User Info
I went with the .68 SB, and the .95 OC, and wish I'd have gone the other way round. Both are superb shavers, but as noted above the .95 is more efficient. Shaved with it yesterday. 

Whether my supposition that a 95 SB would be better, and the 68 better in the OC I don't know. Waited too long to just exchange. Someday curiosity may lead me to buy the alternate plates and then I'll know for sure.

I wish Timeless would offer a compromise 75-80 plate.

7 235
 05-02-2017, 07:08 AM
User Info
(05-02-2017, 06:55 AM)JimmyH Wrote: I went with the .68 SB, and the .95 OC, and wish I'd have gone the other way round. Both are superb shavers, but as noted above the .95 is more efficient. Shaved with it yesterday. 

Whether my supposition that a 95 SB would be better, and the 68 better in the OC I don't know. Waited too long to just exchange. Someday curiosity may lead me to buy the alternate plates and then I'll know for sure.

It wouldn't hurt to post a WTT thread. I'm sure you can easily find switcheroo

10 166
 05-02-2017, 07:35 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I have the open comb and the closed comb 0.68 scalloped heads. Both are superb and comfortable shavers for me. The open comb is a treasure of a shaver, and a wee bit more efficient than the closed comb version. The open comb is also one of the smoothest razors I have ever used. One would assume the 0.95 version to be more aggressive. I am happy with what I have.

150 3,036
 05-02-2017, 09:14 AM
User Info
I have the .95mm gap in both OC and SB as well as the .68mm in the scalloped base.

The most efficient of the three is, as you might suspect, the .95 OC, followed by the .95 SB. The .68 is noticeably more mild, but still an efficient shaver. The .95mm gap provides a very efficient shave, with the usual cautions of light pressure, good technique, etc.

For the efficiency of the shave, it's still very smooth, but there's more face feel of the blade to me on the .95mm bases.

I suspect that it has something to do with the blade exposure on the razor with the .95mm base. Here's my SOTD pic from today with the TR Scalloped head and OC .95mm base-look at the amount of blade showing. And yet, it's a remarkably smooth razor.

[Image: AZB9hvO.jpg]

23 635
 05-02-2017, 09:59 AM
User Info
(05-02-2017, 07:08 AM)SweetReason Wrote:
(05-02-2017, 06:55 AM)JimmyH Wrote: I went with the .68 SB, and the .95 OC, and wish I'd have gone the other way round. Both are superb shavers, but as noted above the .95 is more efficient. Shaved with it yesterday. 

It wouldn't hurt to post a WTT thread. I'm sure you can easily find switcheroo

Thanks for the tip. Thought of that, but then when I get the SB 95 I might want the 68 back ! So I figure my best bet is to be satisfied with what I have, or to buy the .95 SB and sell the one I like the least.

7 235
 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM
User Info
My favorite razor so far is the ATT R1.

I am thinking seriously about the Timeless razor.

What blade gap would you recommend. Am thinking of getting the kit, with the .68 OC and the .95 SB.

0 47
 05-09-2017, 03:27 PM
User Info
I own both OC and SB scalloped .95 and they are 2 of my favorite razors in my vast collection. I actually put them both neck and neck with my WolfmanDC standard gap as far as efficiency and comfort/smoothness of the shave. I think my current favorite razor on top of all of my DE's is the B&R Adjustable. I do have a Wolfman Guerrilla on the way so we'll see.

0 879
 05-09-2017, 03:34 PM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 02:58 PM)DEKey Wrote: My favorite razor so far is the ATT R1.

What blade gap would you recommend. Am thinking of getting the kit, with the .68 OC and the .95 SB.

I'm not familiar with the R-1 but having the .68, and .95 Timeless I'd recommend the .95 unless you like a mild shaver. The .68 will get the job done, but I have to work harder for it. The .95 is effortless. YMMV.

7 235
 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM
User Info
(05-09-2017, 03:34 PM)JimmyH Wrote:
(05-09-2017, 02:58 PM)DEKey Wrote: My favorite razor so far is the ATT R1.

I'm not familiar with the R-1 but having the .68, and .95 Timeless I'd recommend the .95 unless you like a mild shaver. The .68 will get the job done, but I have to work harder for it. The .95 is effortless. YMMV.

Signs011

73 4,303
 05-09-2017, 04:15 PM
User Info
I would definitely recommend the .95 in either.

0 879
 05-09-2017, 07:25 PM
User Info
So the questions becomes, for the base plate, Open Comb, Scalloped or Solid Bar.

And what would make the best top top cap to go with it? Scalloped or smooth? 

In the ATT line, I like the solid bar. But I believe that is because the OC is small pieces of metal that make it not feel smooth to me.

Which would you folks choose?

Then, polished or matte? The polished looks so nice. Which slides on the face better?

0 47
 05-10-2017, 07:21 AM
User Info
I've got both the scalloped base, and the open comb in the Timeless, as well as the plain and scalloped top caps. I like those better for the looks than the plain Jane solid bar. I do like the scalloped top but aside from looks I cannot detect any difference between it and the smooth when it comes to the shave. Is an open comb more efficient than a bar guard ? Big debate about that and I think it might be the OC by a hair (pun intended)  Smile

I prefer polished to brushed, or 'machine' finish, though a nice brushed finish is also attractive. Comparing the Rockwell 6S, which has a finish someone well described as 'industrial', I don't notice any difference at all in the 'slide' characteristics between it and a polished finish. Of course that is just me, and YMMV.

7 235
 05-10-2017, 08:57 AM
User Info
(05-10-2017, 07:21 AM)JimmyH Wrote: I've got both the scalloped base, and the open comb in the Timeless, as well as the plain and scalloped top caps. I like those better for the looks than the plain Jane solid bar. I do like the scalloped top but aside from looks I cannot detect any difference between it and the smooth when it comes to the shave. Is an open comb more efficient than a bar guard ? Big debate about that and I think it might be the OC by a hair (pun intended)  Smile

I prefer polished to brushed, or 'machine' finish, though a nice brushed finish is also attractive. Comparing the Rockwell 6S, which has a finish someone well described as 'industrial', I don't notice any difference at all in the 'slide' characteristics between it and a polished finish. Of course that is just me, and YMMV.

Thank you. I may pick up the kit of them which would let me get one in the less aggressive blade gap. 

This was very helpful.

May I ask which handle(s) you got with them? I'm inclined towards the Pineapple. But also like the Plaid and Barber Pole.  I like grippy.

0 47