03-18-2017, 12:31 PM
User Info
I've been testing these 3 razors for almost three weeks. My cream (Vitos) and blade (FAC Pro) have remained constant, while I switched handles frequently. Cold water face lathering with a Semogue OC. 5 shaves per blade, per razor.

The pictures tell a good tale of quality and finish, but my face is the final judge. Verdict at the end.

C=Colonial R=RazoRock Hawk E=El Jefe

[Image: DSC_1968.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1967.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1966.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1965.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1964.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1963.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1962.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1961.jpg]
[Image: DSC_1959.jpg]

FINISH: Excellent on all 3, even though 2 were supposed to be "blems". Smooth threading.

FIT: Excellent on C and R; no movement with proper alignment every time. However, E was sloppy. Sloppy like a freshman at a prom dance. 2-3 nicks, cuts, or weepers with every shave. No amount of alignment adjustment, no amount of youtube DIY watching could help. E was an evil bitch, never to touch my face again.

THOUGHTS: They are wider than a DE but that does not retract from the shave. They glide smoothly and with a sharp purpose. After the initial shave, I was able to get a BBS shave with 2 passes. Each blade was used 5 times. My only issue was with E, that cantankerous slut.

1 125
 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Great description and fantastic pictures....very informative...Thank you

6 2,022
 03-18-2017, 12:43 PM
User Info
I never made it past the general, its been my main razor since October, longest I've used a single razor for

28 779
 03-18-2017, 12:52 PM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
I was lucky to get a B3 Mongoose before any of these were available, and have never had a reason to try another. Bad El Jefe . . . bad . . . !

0 107
 03-18-2017, 01:32 PM
User Info
My vote is on razor C to win.

10 165
 03-18-2017, 01:38 PM
User Info
The E gives me the occasional good shave and when it does, it's perfection. Not too often unfortunately. My money is on the C. Excellent in every respect apart from weight. Too light so I part it with an SS handle. The R, I got rid of as it's way tooooooo mild with the pro even on an MR3 handle.

0 283
 03-18-2017, 02:26 PM
User Info
I had the same issues with El Jefe and quickly let it go. I kept the Hawk and General for a few months but ultimately decided the AC blade form factor was not for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 213
 03-19-2017, 02:01 PM
User Info
I too have all 3 razors. My thoughts:

El Jefe: Yes, the blade fit is sloppy, but with a little fiddling I'm able to seat a blade properly against the back of the base plate. This razor is definitely more aggressive than the other two, putting it more in the Cobra/Rx realm. No idea what it is made from, as the head is a full ounce heavier than the other two, ruling out aluminum. It's probably all moot, since the head is currently sold out and producing an "El Jefe 2.0" does not seem to be a priority for Ikon.

Hawk: This would be a decent razor at any price, and for $25 it is an absolute steal. It is nicely machined and finished, especially considering the price point. This is a great razor for someone who wants to see what this Artist Club blade thing is all about, without breaking the bank. I find it to be on the mild side, and I think that I prefer a curved cap (a personal thing - both types work well).

The General: My favorite of the three, it has earned a spot beside my Cobra Classic and Asylum Rx. While not as aggressive as those razors, it shaves just as close and is incredibly smooth. I find myself reaching for this razor when I just want a great shave with no drama. I own 4 of these (I can't help myself  Blush ) and when the brass version comes out I will undoubtedly get one.

--Bob

0 185
 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM
User Info
Excellent comparison thank you. I'm loving my General so far, very smooth and efficient, so not feeling like I need any others.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

2 107
 03-19-2017, 10:12 PM
User Info
(03-19-2017, 02:01 PM)spidey9 Wrote: I too have all 3 razors. My thoughts:

El Jefe: Yes, the blade fit is sloppy, but with a little fiddling I'm able to seat a blade properly against the back of the base plate. This razor is definitely more aggressive than the other two, putting it more in the Cobra/Rx realm. No idea what it is made from, as the head is a full ounce heavier than the other two, ruling out aluminum. It's probably all moot, since the head is currently sold out and producing an "El Jefe 2.0" does not seem to be a priority for Ikon.

Hawk: This would be a decent razor at any price, and for $25 it is an absolute steal. It is nicely machined and finished, especially considering the price point. This is a great razor for someone who wants to see what this Artist Club blade thing is all about, without breaking the bank. I find it to be on the mild side, and I think that I prefer a curved cap (a personal thing - both types work well).

The General: My favorite of the three, it has earned a spot beside my Cobra Classic and Asylum Rx. While not as aggressive as those razors, it shaves just as close and is incredibly smooth. I find myself reaching for this razor when I just want a great shave with no drama. I own 4 of these (I can't help myself  Blush ) and when the brass version comes out I will undoubtedly get one.

--Bob
The El-Jefe V2 will be out late this year. I asked on their FB page and this is what I was told.

0 283
 03-20-2017, 03:44 AM
User Info
My blood loss and scarring are a testament to their wonderful (sic) engineering.

1 125
 03-23-2017, 05:12 AM
User Info
This is a great post and great information. Thanks for taking the time!

1 84
 03-23-2017, 05:36 AM
User Info
Hello, I purchased the El Jefe from Shaving.ie as I wanted to try a single edge without spending too much money. It is listed at 16 euros on the website. I have a Ikon bulldog handle which I paired it to. I was pleasantly surprised with the shave quality of it. I was very apprehensive at first after reading some of the reviews. I first used a feather pro guard blade and the shave was terrible not smooth or efficient at all, then I tried a Kai captain mild blade, this was a big difference in performance. No cuts, weepers or irritation. I have tried it with several soaps (MDC, Jabonman, CRSW ,Proraso cypress ) and all performed well. I did read about blade alignment issues, but after reading some threads on it and watching a few videos I did not experience any problems with blade alignment. I found if you load the blade with the top cap resting on your counter and then thread the handle, the last step before tightening I lay the razor flat with the backside on my fingers and tighten. The blade seems to line up perfectly. Sorry for the poor description on how to do this. The above steps do not take very much time, it is actually very intuitive and quick.

0 39
 04-12-2017, 01:17 PM
User Info
I own all 3 and the General is the best by far and I just got the brass General. Needless to say, it is now at the top of the heap of all my SE razors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

0 869
 04-14-2017, 03:21 AM
User Info
(04-12-2017, 01:17 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: I own all 3 and the General is the best by far and I just got the brass General.  Needless to say, it is now at the top of the heap of all my SE razors.

I really wanted to like the new General, but after seeing those horrid machining marks, I couldn't do it. If I'm going to pay large money for a machined product it better be finished correctly. It doesn't help that my father, grandfather, and brother are all machinists.

1 125
 04-15-2017, 01:00 PM
User Info
The colonial razor might not look up to par compared to Timeless and Wolfman, however it performs like the best of them.

0 31
 04-15-2017, 01:15 PM
User Info
The brass General is an amazing machine!!

0 869