03-18-2017, 08:51 PM
User Info
Good evening all...hope your weekend is well.

I haven't been honing long and plan to continue spending a few more months using my 4k/8k Norton (got a 1K Nani for bevel setting).  I'm getting really good results (I've got two razors that are buggers, but I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED (I've walked away from both couple times now)

So while I'm learning I'm saving up for a finisher.  It appears the 12k Nani Specialty is a good choice at a good price-about $82ish.  Found the Sharpton Kuromaku 12K for like $60.

What say on these two?
Suggestions on others.

Hate to say it but money is a consideration.  My job is one that you don't really get rich (Navy), but it has other rewards, The wife and I are trying to buy a house so I promised Ol' girl I'd tighten up on the acquisition disorders.  Literally saving weekly change and single dollars.  Actually not a bad way to say for my shave fund.

Anyway thanks for any knowledge,

Be safe,
Jer

0 57
 03-19-2017, 05:18 AM
User Info
My personal favorites are natural finishers, i have used a Shapton 16K and find that the higher grit synthetics have what I would call a surgical edge and are to harsh, JNATS are my preference for a finisher but i hone for others and give the choice of a coticule ot JNAT edge. Nothing wrong with a synthetic finisher and a 12K is the minimum, some guys that hone go all the way up to 20K but 12-16 is fine but for me it's to harsh of an edge so I put them in this order for finishers, Coticule-JNAT-Synthetic. You could look at a Apache Strata hone, these are non slurried finishers and you can ues water alone or a drop or two of glycerin with the water you can also look at say a Ozuku Asagi (Koppa) from CKTG the Koppa is a smaller version of there larger brothers and they are pretty inexpensive and then of course you have a 12-16K synthetic finisher and I myself am partial to shapton glass stones.

6 1,249
 03-19-2017, 05:39 AM
User Info
(03-18-2017, 08:51 PM)HarryBadge Wrote: Good evening all...hope your weekend is well.

I haven't been honing long and plan to continue spending a few more months using my 4k/8k Norton (got a 1K Nani for bevel setting).  I'm getting really good results (I've got two razors that are buggers, but I WILL NOT BE DEFEATED (I've walked away from both couple times now)

So while I'm learning I'm saving up for a finisher.  It appears the 12k Nani Specialty is a good choice at a good price-about $82ish.  Found the Sharpton Kuromaku 12K for like $60.

What say on these two?
Suggestions on others.

Hate to say it but money is a consideration.  My job is one that you don't really get rich (Navy), but it has other rewards, The wife and I are trying to buy a house so I promised Ol' girl I'd tighten up on the acquisition disorders.  Literally saving weekly change and single dollars.  Actually not a bad way to say for my shave fund.

Be safe,
Jer

Both are good and will finish and maintain a razor as long as you own one. The Naniwa is more popular and you can find more help online about it. Naturals are very nice but finding the "right" one and fine tuning your technique for it can sometimes be a bug hunt. With money a consideration plus your technique on Nortons would directly translate to a synthetic finisher.

3 742
 03-19-2017, 06:14 AM
User Info
there is an British e-bay seller that make welsh slate hones that are very good and cheap.he has two types  that is good finishers. these are lapped and has a finish suited for razors. the finest one cost about 35$ in 3x8. i have these stones and can recommend them.

0 21
 03-19-2017, 06:37 AM
User Info
Thanks guys for all the info to digest.

Jer

0 57
 03-19-2017, 10:32 AM
User Info
I recommend a 12K synthetic as a first finisher. It's user friendly.

6 283
 03-19-2017, 11:28 AM
User Info
Naniwa 12k.  It's easy to master, fast, and produces consistent results.  You can get a great finish with a JNAT or coticule, but they have more of a learning curve, may require more time on the stone, and each stone has its own characteristics.

48 5,698
 03-21-2017, 10:40 AM
User Info
There are many good options. Jnats can be great, but they are expensive and tend to be inconsistent. I have both a Shapton 30K and 16K and while they are both great hones, I find that there is not such a big difference in the edge as to justify the difference in price.

Yes, the edge from the Shapton hones is indeed polished. Natural stones, as they have a greater variety of grit, tend to give what is called a "hazy" finish. It is conventional wisdom that a hazy finish is somehow easier on your face. I'm not so sure. A hazy edge is "toothier," has micro serrations. To the extent that it is smoother, it may be because it it simply duller. Ironically, it may feel in a sense sharper to the touch, but that is the teeth you are feeling, not the net sharpness of the edge.

I love coticules, and have never had trouble honing on them. Actually, I think it's luck -- I just seem to have an innate feel for the stones. But IMHO, they are not finishers. They are the stone you use to get your blade sharp enough to use on a finisher. Most people estimate that they have an 8K grit, though this is not so meaningful on natural stones. Black, hard, surgical Arkansas stones have an actual grit size of 1-2 K, and yet will put a killer edge on a razor (if you have the patience. They are slow cutters).

Your safest bets? A Shapton 16K or a Naniwa 12K. I haven't actually used the Naniwa, but it is something of a legend. I imagine you won't go wrong. Based on personal experience, I would recommend the Shapton 16K. But it ain't cheap. If cash is a really big priority and you don't need a killer edge, a small coti is a good choice. Don't get one of the "bouts," the irregularly shaped ones, but a rectangular one with a decent amount of real estate.

Good luck, and thank you for your service.

0 31
 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM
User Info
(03-18-2017, 08:51 PM)HarryBadge Wrote: Good evening all...hope your weekend is well.

What say on these two?
Suggestions on others.

Be safe,
Jer
I just ordered the Imperia la roccia finishing stone based on recommendations from Dr. Matt.  He gives great insight and advice for honing.  I too have the 4k/8k Norton combo and just started honing.  Think of it this way, you are saving $25-$35 every time you hone a razor yourself!

21 159
 03-22-2017, 04:41 PM
User Info
There are three simple words that will serve you well during your journey into honing "Hone-Shave-Repeat" At one point a year or two back i was honing 8-10 razors a week and somtimes the same razor 2-3 times a day, there honestly is no magic in honing it's practice, practice, practice.

6 1,249
 03-22-2017, 04:54 PM
User Info
(03-22-2017, 04:41 PM)Panther308 Wrote: There are three simple words that will serve you well during your journey into honing "Hone-Shave-Repeat" At one point a year or two back i was honing 8-10 razors a week and somtimes the same razor 2-3 times a day, there honestly is no magic in honing it's practice, practice, practice.

This is so true.  Years ago I was overwhelmed by all the different advice in the shaving forums and the YouTube videos.  It was to the point where I couldn't progress because I would continually shift from one suggestion to another.  I finally stopped paying attention to all the advice, started honing, and learned by continually practicing and making adjustments.

48 5,698
 03-22-2017, 05:28 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the advice.  The 12k Naniwa SS will probably win out.

Be safe,
Jer

0 57