03-19-2017, 05:32 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
A. Your best performing off-the-shelf DE?
What about it/why?

B. Your best performing vintage DE?
What about it/why?

C. Your best performing small batch DE?
What about it/why?

D. Your best performing adjustable DE?
What about it/why?

If you haven't tried all categories, that's ok obviously, just respond to the categories you have sampled in.

62 3,012
 03-19-2017, 07:35 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
A.  Muhle R41.  

Despite the plethora of new stainless razors, this "lowly" pot metal shaver still gives me incredible shaves. I prefer 2013 to the 2011.

B. Gillette New Short Comb.  

Prefer this simple design to the TTO Gillettes.  But to be honest, I haven't sampled all the vintage razors....just most of the Gillettes.

C. Timeless

Yep.  Timeless.  And I've owned them all.  BUT....I am expecting my first Blackbird soon.

D. Barbaros Stainless adjustable.

Helluva razor.  Again, I haven't used many adjustables, but of the ones I've used (vintage; Merkur) the Barbaros wins hands down.

169 1,425
 03-19-2017, 07:38 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks Ron, great choices!
Have you used a Mergress?

62 3,012
 03-19-2017, 07:42 AM
User Info
What about it/why?

Rockwell 6S. Great build, value, and performance, with flexibility of plate selection.

If it were still available, I'd say the Weber Polished Head.

What about it/why?

Gillette British Rocket. Efficient, comfortable shaver, rivals modern SS razors in performance.

What about it/why?

Wolfman WR1. Best razor on the planet in terms of build, quality, looks, and performance.

What about it/why?

Don't use adjustable razors much, but I'd have to say a toss-up between the Futur and the Mergress.

24 664
 03-19-2017, 08:30 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(03-19-2017, 07:38 AM)Nero Wrote: Thanks Ron, great choices!
Have you used a Mergress?

Matt....yes I've used the Mergress XL and while it is a great razor I still prefer the Barbaros SS Adjustable.

169 1,425
 03-19-2017, 10:29 AM
User Info
(03-19-2017, 05:32 AM)Nero Wrote: A. Your best performing off-the-shelf DE?
What about it/why?

What about it/why?

What about it/why?

What about it/why?

If you haven't tried all categories, that's ok obviously, just respond to the categories you have sampled in.

A. Tough to pick between Muhle R-41 and Merkur Futur.
B. Gillette NEW long comb.
C. Timeless 0.95
D. Merkur Futur.(I loosen it a little by pushing the top cap down and make it super aggressive).

0 207
 03-19-2017, 11:44 AM
User Info
Favorite "off-the-shelf" DE: Merkur 34C.  Its not exciting but it gets the job done.  It has the highest tolerances for blade angle and pressure of any DE I've used.  Its also medium-aggressive so it is very efficient.  The knurled handle is spot-on and the length makes its highly maneuverable.  With this one I don't feel I have to sacrifice close and smooth results for occasional nicks or irritation.  This to me is the template to compare all other DEs to.

Favorite vintage DE: Gillette Bostonian.  Its sort of a more adorned and open-comb version of the 34C.  Open-combs from that era were, to me, more aggressive and therefore provide a different experience.  Unfortunately since they are silver, it got a little annoying to have to polish and keep from tarnishing.  I'm also not a big vintage fan.

Favorite "small batch" DE: the original iKon deluxe open-comb.  I wish I still had this one!  Probably even more well-rounded than the 34C; just a hair less aggressive which meant that I could shave in total confidence.  It was sturdy and well made.

Favorite adjustable DE: unfortunately all the other adjustables are either vintage, which isn't really my scene, or until recently the Merkur Progress or its variables, which always bothered me because the fluted handle always slipped out of my hand.  I just got a Parker Variant and the results have been encouraging; right now its my favorite by default.

84 1,505
 03-19-2017, 03:57 PM
User Info
A. Off the Shelf -  R41.  Great fit and finish, nice design, extremely efficient
B. Vintage - I don't have much experience with Vintage, so I'll pass!
C. Small Batch- I am going to include Weber in this category.  Weber PH is a great razor, well built, and the value/design/construction ratio is high (when bought originally)
D. Adjustable -  tie: Variant or Mergress/Progress.  I'm a big fan of the Variant.  The weight and build quality are great.  I only have a mergress so can't comment on the weight of an OEM progress but I suspect the added SS knot on the Mergress (I have an XL) adds to my experience of the razor.

Great thread,  looking forward to other responses!

21 1,823
 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM
User Info

Muhle Rocca.  This is a very smooth, but efficient razor.  The head is thin, so it's easy to maneuver.  The handle is thick, but not heavy -- its hollow tube stainless.  Shaves a bit closer than my Timeless, just not as elegant.

Gillette #44 set raised flat bottom.  Smoothest of the NEWs.  The #77 is a smoother and classier RFB, but it is not as efficient as the 3 pieces RFBs.  

Timeless OC .68.  Smooth, efficient, beautiful, great weight and balance with an 85mm bulldog handle.

Performance probably goes to the Variant, but I'm still new to this razor.  I also like Slims over Fatboys.

11 195