03-20-2017, 03:16 PM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
There is a great post by blzrfn comparing the Wiborg to Brad Sears M&F Finest, Paladin Falstaff Select and a Shavemac 2-band Silvertip. I did not want to intrude on his post, but it got me thinking about the brushes that I admire in my 10 brush rotation and to extend on blzrfn idea./comparison. What I did was slightly different take, I took 2 brushes that I felt were very similar in feel and performance to the Wiborg and did a present day comparison of brushes that can be purchased. These 2 brushes like the Wiborg have soft tips and no scritch either in circular or painting lathering strokes

I purchase this Wiborg (High Mountain 29 x 55) in 2014. I had also owned a White Badger which to me was the same knot as the High Mountain badger. I have a number of M&F brushes starting from 8-9 years ago, the one in my current rotation is the one that I currently enjoy. As a side note I found there is an inconsistency in M&F knots but I also realize that brush makers deal with a natural product where each animal pelt has a slight variation from the others
Also in this comparison I'm comparing knots are of different size's which would change density a drop, but it should not change the characteristics of the knot. I also applied Kens free loft measurement

Wiborg purchased as a 29 x55 is actually 29 x 52.5, fee loft 51.5, handle 65.5

M&F ordered a 24 x 52 is actually 24.7 x 51.5, free loft 44.5, handle 60

El Druida ordered a 26 x 50-51, is actually 26.2 x 48, free loft 48, handle 56

So it was this morning I showered then took my shave using Mike's Bay Rum, Timeless 68 scallop OC, with a SS Marley handle Aristocrat 90 x 14.using a Polisilver. I started by lathering up all 3 brushes they all retain water well, I shook out the excess water and started lathering up each brush.

I used all 3 brushes, I lathered a fresh area with a different brush and then would switch to another brush so I would could instantly compare density, paint, swirl, scrub, tip softness, lather flow. 

The Wiborg has soft-med backbone soft tips, no scrub, a good full swirl, good painting spring back, nice lather flow then my on 3rd pass as always I gently milk the lather up to the tips. The Wiborg retains a good amount of lather.

The MF Brush I was using has a little more density and med backbone, beautiful full swirling feel, excellent painting spring back, nice lather flow and the milking process the lather pushes up with ease for a good soap foam.

The El Druida has been a surprise to me I had Javier make me a 24 when I first used it I was pleasantly surprised on how nice the knot performed. After a while I ordered a 26 and I could not be any happier. In my alternating comparison I was also surprised how similar the El Druida was to the Wiborg in every respect tip feel, swirl, painting, spring back, backbone, lather release. The one difference that I found was that the Wiborg was slightly denser or had sightly thicker hair then the El Druida, or it could have been the larger knot. Other then that they were strickingly similar. 

To insure that my opinion/findings was correct I did a second 3 brush compassion 2 days later and came out with the same results. I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 brushes and to find a knot similar to the Wiborg was a treat, What the Wiborg has in its corner is it's handles, logo and other informational wording that gives its a very polished image. but the one that I preferred was the M&F because I desire more backbone. Now please remember this is only my opinion,you may not agree and of cause YMMV.

I want to thank blzrfn for his Wiborg thread that gave me the idea for this thread.

[Image: QEUjqeY.jpg]
[Image: kyTXUcg.jpg]

42 339
 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM
User Info
Great write up , those are gorgeous brushes.

52 1,260
 03-21-2017, 07:10 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
(03-20-2017, 03:38 PM)ultra~nova Wrote: Great write up , those are gorgeous brushes.

Thank you, it was fun doing the comparison

42 339