03-26-2017, 06:30 PM
User Info
Btw, i dont presume to know it all. I just say that there might be a different way that is different and good at the same time... :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 479
 03-26-2017, 06:33 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 06:29 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 06:26 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 06:03 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Maybe in two cooking cycles?

Cook. Stop. Open. Mix. Cook again. Ready!  

Problem is that a pressure cooker boils the rice and everything in it.

I like to sauter the vegetables I put in my risotto beforehand, and sear the bacon/sausage and then later in the process add this to the risotto.

Any kind of boiling of these vegetables and meat will ruin the crispiness to the best of my logic, which makes the pressure cooker unsuited for this type of risotto, unless you are making the classic risotto, where you only use risotto rice, wine, cheese, onions and stock.

I can see the Risotto classic side dish made in a pressure cooker, but as soon as you add sauter vegetables and seared bacon/sausage to the risotto dish, the pressure cooker is useless for this.

Yes Claus, but... ever heard of pressure frying?

Never heard of that....pressure fyring.......WoW.....I have to google it now !

24 5,849
 03-26-2017, 06:36 PM
User Info
Pressure frying. It is how they make Kentucky Fried Chicken. You had the same reaction i had. Wooowww!!!

0 479
 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(03-26-2017, 05:03 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Look, I was just kidding about the Risotto sacrilege.......

I usually drink a glass wine or two, while I slowly add the stock and gradually add the vegetables to the risotto at the appropriate time.

A glass of wine, sipped, not gulped, while cooking, enhances any recipe.  Especially if it is an Umbrian or Toacana red.

0 1,049
 03-26-2017, 08:29 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 06:52 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 05:03 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Look, I was just kidding about the Risotto sacrilege.......

I usually drink a glass wine or two, while I slowly add the stock and gradually add the vegetables to the risotto at the appropriate time.

A glass of wine, sipped, not gulped, while cooking, enhances any recipe.  Especially if it is an Umbrian or Toacana red.

Ahhhh. That will depend on the recipe! :-)

0 479
 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 06:36 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Pressure frying. It is how they make Kentucky Fried Chicken. You had the same reaction i had. Wooowww!!!

I can proudly say that I have never ever tasted KFC food.

I haven't ever been to a KFC, even though a big KFC is just 2 miles from where I live.

A McDonald's is next to the KFC, but I have not been to a McDonald's since I was in my late 20's, now I'm in my 40's, and I don't miss it at all.

I still remember eating my last 2 big mac's, and once again being disappointed over lack of taste, too high price for what you get and just smelling the whole place like smelling the inside of a deep-fry cooker....disgusting place.

I much prefer to make my own burgers, and the time you spend on going to McDonald's buying it, you can easily spend on making your own healthy burgers and smile while doing so.
Price you pay is about equal.
But homemade burgers are sooooo much better tasting

I seriously don't understand grown up people going to fast food 'restaurants', when you can cook better tasting stuff at home in the same time as you spend on going to that awful place.

Kids and children is the exception. Grown ups ? Can't grasp why they would go there at all. Not trying to sound snobbish, but fast food places SUCK !

Regarding pressure frying and pressure cooking, if you have to do both steps in order to make your preferred risotto dish, why not just make it the classic way ?
Time difference is minute and I personally prefer my own home made risotto over even Danish Michellin stars restaurant risotto's. I have tried risotto at 3 different Michelin star restaurants, and while they were DELICIOUS, I preferred my own home cooked risotto.

24 5,849
 03-27-2017, 02:02 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 02:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 06:36 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Pressure frying. It is how they make Kentucky Fried Chicken. You had the same reaction i had. Wooowww!!!

I haven't ever been to a KFC, even though a big KFC is just 2 miles from where I live.

A McDonald's is next to the KFC, but I have not been to a McDonald's since I was in my late 20's, now I'm in my 40's, and I don't miss it at all.

I still remember eating my last 2 big mac's, and once again being disappointed over lack of taste, too high price for what you get and just smelling the whole place like smelling the inside of a deep-fry cooker....disgusting place.

I much prefer to make my own burgers, and the time you spend on going to McDonald's buying it, you can easily spend on making your own healthy burgers and smile while doing so.

I seriously don't understand grown up people going to fast food 'restaurants', when you can cook better tasting stuff at home in the same time as you spend on going to that awful place.

Kids and children is the exception. Grown ups ? Can't grasp why they would go there at all. Not trying to sound snobbish, but fast food places SUCK !

Regarding pressure frying and pressure cooking, if you have to do both steps in order to make your preferred risotto dish, why not just make it the classic way ?
Time difference is minute and I personally prefer my own home made risotto over even Danish Michellin stars restaurant risotto's. I have tried risotto at 3 different Michelin star restaurants, and while they were DELICIOUS, I preferred my own home cooked risotto.

Dear Claus. I concurr with you 100%.

I just finished my second batch of pressurized white rice. Amazing. You should see the expression in my woman's face when she knew. Jajajaja.

No matter how much they try, fastfood its just junk. Its a matter of shelf life. I cook fresh. I go to the market every day. Period. That is why i have my lobster tank. They are hard to find.

All that does not mean that pressure frying is a waste of time. I have not pressure fried anything, but not for that i dismiss it without trying. The might be some merit to it. We will see. Sounds like a fun adventure. [Image: 1e81537af73a996e81108c8ec290544a.jpg]

Best for you,

Pp

0 479
 03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
User Info
:-) Lobsters aren't hard to find... just go to the supermarket, they have dozens of them in the tanks. (I live in Maine) But ours have claws.

Question, we don't have spiny lobsters in the cold north atlantic... is the tamale (liver) edible on them? Just curious. Our lobsters tamale is greenish, I think it's disgusting but lots of folks relish it.

32 6,445
 03-27-2017, 03:04 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 02:49 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: :-) Lobsters aren't hard to find... just go to the supermarket, they have dozens of them in the tanks. (I live in Maine) But ours have claws.

Question, we don't have spiny lobsters in the cold north atlantic... is the tamale (liver) edible on them? Just curious. Our lobsters tamale is greenish, I think it's disgusting but lots of folks relish it.

My dear Mr. Shadow;

You live in the lobster capital of the world. Our fishermen are artisans, like in The Old Man and the Sea. They go out in small skiffs of about 20 feet. Yours is an international industry. Of course there is lobster in the supermarket, but all is frozen and none is local, and i want it fresh! :-)

It would be the inverse if we were talking about breadfruit. You would need a greenhouse. Here there are so many that beggars pick them up and charge the gathering service, or whatever you want to give them.

The point is that the tank its the pride and joy of my setup.

I dont know if spiny lobsters have tamales. They might not. I once read an article that stated that the two spices are not related. Not even distant cousins. I never heard of anybody eating lobsters gut, and one of my best friends is a professional fisherman.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 479
 03-27-2017, 03:26 PM
User Info
PP - I'm sure if you fed your lobsters a couple tamales they'd get fat pretty quick ...  Biggrin

8 1,063
 03-27-2017, 03:30 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 03:26 PM)lloydrm Wrote: PP - I'm sure if you fed your lobsters a couple tamales they'd get fat pretty quick ...  Biggrin

Thats for sure... :-)

0 479
 03-27-2017, 03:54 PM
User Info
Yup, that's why I smiled before I wrote what I did. Lobster is OK, but I far prefer steamer aka "piss" clams to lobster. I can eat so many of those that I can (and have) get sick. I just love their briny sweetness.

The wife and I were discussing today my favorite place on the coast where I can get my fix of them.

32 6,445
 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 02:02 PM)carlospppena Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 02:00 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:

Dear Claus. I concurr with you 100%.

I just finished my second batch of pressurized white rice. Amazing. You should see the expression in my woman's face when she knew. Jajajaja.

No matter how much they try, fastfood its just junk. Its a matter of shelf life. I cook fresh. I go to the market every day. Period. That is why i have my lobster tank. They are hard to find.

All that does not mean that pressure frying is a waste of time. I have not pressure fried anything, but not for that i dismiss it without trying. The might be some merit to it. We will see. Sounds like a fun adventure. [Image: 1e81537af73a996e81108c8ec290544a.jpg]

Best for you,

Pp

Looks fantastic that lobster tank !!!

That's fresh fish for you

24 5,849
 03-27-2017, 09:23 PM
User Info
I'm getting off the intended subject...

Claus, they're "bugs" or crustaceans. They definitely aren't fish; IMO they have far more in common with a watergoing spider. They are definitely delicious though. I wish my wife liked them, I'd have them more often then. The way it is now I have to drive 60 miles to get to where I can buy the best clams or lobster rolls in the state (IMO). Never a bit of sand in the clams at Youngs (Belfast, Maine), and the other location has the best fried clams (to kill for!) and a really great lobster roll; it's the only way I'd ever eat lobster "out". The establishment is nothing to look at but the food is awesome... But that's typical Maine. BTW, no matter how many times I go there with the object of getting a lobster roll, I ALWAYS get the fried clams. They are to kill for! If I think of it I get a lobster roll "to go" and they package it specially for me. Debbie at the counter is a true gem.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/reds-eats-wiscasset-2

They have a website; new this year. I told you it was nothing to look at! We don't go there for the ambiance. :-) We always take our food and go to a table down by the water. As long as one is careful an adult beverage, in a glass, can be consumed. But put it on display and it might not be tolerated if it's seen (laws). We always bring a cooler to hide the container.
http://www.redseatsmaine.com/

When we want a slightly longer trip and to go back into the past a few decades we go here (below). Just to the right of where this video was shot is a mom&pop store that has decent lobster rolls and other common fare. And the bridge show is worth staying for, but it happens by chance, and the tide, as the boats come and go. On the way there is Glidden Point Oysters and many other eye attractions. Maine isn't easy to travel around when near the coast with it's many peninsulas. We have as much coastline as the rest of the contiguous US combined and none of our attractions are announced. They need to be searched out, but the Boothbay peninsula has much to see. One could easily spend a relaxing week there. It's like island time if one allows it to happen... time moves differently there.

Sorry, but I absolutely love my adopted Maine and I can go on and on about it. We've been here over 30 years and we're still in love with it.

Change of subject.

A salt water tank can be  a PITA to maintain. My hat's off to you Pp.

OK, back onto thread subject. Sorry for the diversion.

32 6,445
 03-28-2017, 12:49 AM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 09:23 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I'm getting off the intended subject...

Claus, they're "bugs" or crustaceans. They definitely aren't fish; IMO they have far more in common with a watergoing spider. They are definitely delicious though. I wish my wife liked them, I'd have them more often then. The way it is now I have to drive 60 miles to get to where I can buy the best clams or lobster rolls in the state (IMO). Never a bit of sand in the clams at Youngs (Belfast, Maine), and the other location has the best fried clams (to kill for!) and a really great lobster roll; it's the only way I'd ever eat lobster "out". The establishment is nothing to look at but the food is awesome... But that's typical Maine. BTW, no matter how many times I go there with the object of getting a lobster roll, I ALWAYS get the fried clams. They are to kill for! If I think of it I get a lobster roll "to go" and they package it specially for me. Debbie at the counter is a true gem.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/reds-eats-wiscasset-2

They have a website; new this year. I told you it was nothing to look at! We don't go there for the ambiance. :-) We always take our food and go to a table down by the water. As long as one is careful an adult beverage, in a glass, can be consumed. But put it on display and it might not be tolerated if it's seen (laws). We always bring a cooler to hide the container.
http://www.redseatsmaine.com/

When we want a slightly longer trip and to go back into the past a few decades we go here (below). Just to the right of where this video was shot is a mom&pop store that has decent lobster rolls and other common fare. And the bridge show is worth staying for, but it happens by chance, and the tide, as the boats come and go. On the way there is Glidden Point Oysters and many other eye attractions. Maine isn't easy to travel around when near the coast with it's many peninsulas. We have as much coastline as the rest of the contiguous US combined and none of our attractions are announced. They need to be searched out, but the Boothbay peninsula has much to see. One could easily spend a relaxing week there. It's like island time if one allows it to happen... time moves differently there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auULU-VXuVg

Sorry, but I absolutely love my adopted Maine and I can go on and on about it. We've been here over 30 years and we're still in love with it.

Change of subject.

A salt water tank can be  a PITA to maintain. My hat's off to you Pp.

OK, back onto thread subject. Sorry for the diversion.

No problem about the slight detour - enjoyed your passionate post !

24 5,849
 03-28-2017, 09:24 AM
User Info
Me too. :-)

0 479
 03-28-2017, 11:56 AM
User Info
In 1989 I went to a terrific lobster place near Deer Isle, Maine. Then again ALL lobster places in Maine are terrific.

36 886
 04-08-2017, 03:50 PM
User Info
Dear gents;

I know the thread began with a very specific topic. I liked that one very much. Claus is a guy who know his stuff, and Mel even more so. It was about cookware.

Nevertheless, it was about enjoying your kitchen at the same time. So i went on a limb and changed the subject to lobsters. I did that with respect and regard for my friends in the nook, as always.

Then, this morning i received an unexpected package in the mail, which brought me to thinking: what do i have in that kitchen that really is worth my while?

And i found it immediately: my coffee stuff. Puerto Rico was once the coffee capital of the world. So, traditions run deep.

My last gift for my beloved Damaris was an Espresso machine, along with a coffee grinder. Even when it is in my kitchen, i dont touch that stuff. But i brag: i only drink coffee from one woman. And believe me when i tell you, she is a barista sent from heaven.

That setup is worth my while!

Best for all,

Pp
[Image: 3d8c61d6a8b508ed8bd7f7356bc888ca.jpg]

0 479
 04-09-2017, 03:07 AM
User Info
(04-08-2017, 03:50 PM)carlospppena Wrote: Dear gents;

I know the thread began with a very specific topic. I liked that one very much. Claus is a guy who know his stuff, and Mel even more so. It was about cookware.

Nevertheless, it was about enjoying your kitchen at the same time. So i went on a limb and changed the subject to lobsters. I did that with respect and regard for my friends in the nook, as always.

Then, this morning i received an unexpected package in the mail, which brought me to thinking: what do i have in that kitchen that really is worth my while?

And i found it immediately: my coffee stuff. Puerto Rico was once the coffee capital of the world. So, traditions run deep.

My last gift for my beloved Damaris was an Espresso machine, along with a coffee grinder. Even when it is in my kitchen, i dont touch that stuff. But i brag: i only drink coffee from one woman. And believe me when i tell you, she is a barista sent from heaven.

That setup is worth my while!

Best for all,

Pp
[Image: 3d8c61d6a8b508ed8bd7f7356bc888ca.jpg]

Great photo and (no doubt) great coffee

By the way I recent the remark, that Mel should know his stuff even more, than I do

I'm a feinsmaker at heart

24 5,849
 04-09-2017, 12:56 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-09-2017, 03:07 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: By the way I recent the remark, that Mel should know his stuff even more, than I do

I'm a feinsmaker at heart

Is yin greater than yang or yang greater than yin?  Carlos undoubtedly meant his comment to be a complement as well as a compliment, n’est-ce pas?

0 1,049