03-21-2017, 04:59 PM
User Info
Comparing aggressiveness - how does it compare to mongoose and king cobra?? After spending time with both I realized that One is too heavy and the other one is too aggressive. So now I'm looking for something that has the slim head of cobra but is mild

5 297
 03-21-2017, 05:16 PM
User Info
Closest comparison for me is that I find it a little more aggressive than the cobra classic. But I'm sure others will chime in.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

3 337
 03-21-2017, 05:49 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
It's been several years since I've used a King Cobra, so keep that in mind.

I find the Rx to be more aggressive than the Cobra or King Cobra.  Once I got used to the weight of the Rx and used a milder blade the shaves became phenomenal.  Two passes with the Rx a little touch up and I'm BBS.

8 1,355
 03-21-2017, 06:41 PM
User Info
(03-21-2017, 05:49 PM)Sully Wrote: I find the Rx to be more aggressive than the Cobra or King Cobra.  Once I got used to the weight of the Rx and used a milder blade the shaves became phenomenal.  Two passes with the Rx a little touch up and I'm BBS.

+1.  I haven't used the king or the mongoose, but the Rx is a step above the Cobra Classic in aggressiveness if that helps.

17 1,408
 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM
User Info
The mongoose is too heavy and I didn't find it particularly smooth! Actually had a very rough time with it.
I also found the classic cobra to be noticeably smoother than the king. I think it has to do with the lighter weight and also the shorter handle. I tried so many different King Cobra's, all with the same result. Too aggressive!
If you haven't used the Classic I would seriously consider it.
Haven't used the Rx so can't comment

13 775
 03-21-2017, 09:00 PM
User Info
I don't have a King Cobra but I have a Cobra Classic and an Asylum Rx.

I use Feather Professionals in both razors and actually find the shaves to be quite similar.

The Rx is significantly heavier than the Cobra - 3.9 ounces vs 3.3 ounces.

The Rx is more aggressive while the Cobra has the edge (!) in smoothness, although the differences are not large.

The build quality of the Rx is clearly superior with its precisely machined stainless steel construction, and the blade mechanism locks up like a bank vault.

Both razors are considerably more aggressive than a Mongoose (I had a batch 3) and their heads feel a lot more agile than the large flat head of the Mongoose.

I sold my Mongoose but would not dream of parting with either the Asylum Rx or the Cobra Classic.

--Bob

0 185
 03-21-2017, 09:59 PM
User Info
Thank you guys for all your suggestions I guess I'm gonna have to try it for myself

5 297
 03-23-2017, 11:03 AM
User Info
Are you taking aggressive or efficient?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

0 57
 03-23-2017, 12:23 PM
User Info
(03-21-2017, 05:49 PM)Sully Wrote: It's been several years since I've used a King Cobra, so keep that in mind.

I find the Rx to be more aggressive than the Cobra or King Cobra.  Once I got used to the weight of the Rx and used a milder blade the shaves became phenomenal.  Two passes with the Rx a little touch up and I'm BBS.

I agree, Shawn - from what I remember, the Cobra was middle of the road in aggressiveness.  I just obtained an Rx and it's a notch up.  However, I was pleased how quickly I adapted to it (milder Kai blade mind you) so it may give my DEs a run for the money.  OK, it'll join the rotation.  Tongue

73 4,303
 03-23-2017, 04:17 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I have the Mongoose and RX, but no Cobras. For my face, the Mongoose with a Feather Pro is a nice close shave, but the Pro Super blade is too aggressive (the only razor/blade combo I find too aggressive). The RX with a Kai mild gives me milder, yet closer, shaves than the Mongoose. I've only had the RX for five shaves, but I'm really enjoying it. It feels like I can't cut myself even if I want to.

6 345
 03-23-2017, 07:19 PM
User Info
(03-23-2017, 11:03 AM)CzechCzar Wrote: Are you taking aggressive or efficient?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Efficient, without burning my face

5 297
 03-23-2017, 07:37 PM
User Info
I have the King Cobra, Classic, and the Rx.

I find the Rx the most aggressive/efficient of the three. I get a fine shave with the Feather AC Pro, and a superb shave with the Kai mild and the Asylum Rx.

With the Cobras, I can use any blade, AC Pro, Super, Proguard, Kai, and the face feel is smoother than the Rx.

I wouldn't part with any of them!

23 632
 04-11-2017, 10:15 PM
User Info
(03-21-2017, 04:59 PM)inspectoring Wrote: Comparing aggressiveness - how does it compare to mongoose and king cobra?? After spending time with both I realized that One is too heavy and the other one is too aggressive. So now I'm looking for something that has the slim head of cobra but is mild

Mongoose is very mild. Haven't tried the Cobra but the RX is WAY more aggressive.

0 46
 04-12-2017, 05:50 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Once I paired my Rx with guarded blades (Feather and Kai) I could use it as a daily driver with only two passes and a bit of touch up. On a more-than-36hour growth I enjoy using Feathers Pro. I only previously had a Mongoose and the Rx is an obvious winner in my experience on all counts - quality, design, comfort, aggressiveness, and efficiency.

112 1,495
 04-12-2017, 06:42 AM
User Info
I have a build 2 of the Mongoose. AFAIK the only difference being the tabs are longer for more easily loading the blade. I've only used Feather Pro in it and I find it to rival my 2011 Muhle R-41 in aggressiveness. I have never had a Cobra or an Asylum. I only post this to say that one guy's mild is another guy's aggressive. IOW ........ YMMV.  Smile

7 235
 04-12-2017, 06:49 AM
User Info
I too find the Asylum Rx a bit more aggressive than either the King Cobra or Cobra Classic. For more than one day's growth, I use a Feather Pro, if I'm shaving the next day after a shave, I'll go with the Kai mild. The Asylum's build quality is superb. I enjoy having all three in the den!

23 632