03-22-2017, 03:22 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Seems like all the new small batch handles (being made of SS) are a lot heavier than handles of the past.
For instance, using an Ikon OSS handle drastically changes the aggressiveness (feeling at least) of my Mühle R89. Not sure it actually increases the efficiency of the cutting action IME (at least so far I haven't noticed that because I still have the same number of passes to get BBS... I only notice my face is more sore afterward)

What's your desired handle weight?

62 3,014
 03-22-2017, 04:26 AM
User Info
Well, I prefer the whole setup, head and handle to be less than 100 grams. Around 90-95 is ideal for me. Having said that and given that I only use the BBS-1 SS head (27 grams,) I look for handles around 60-70 grams which really can only be done in titanium.
I guess you could have a SS handle in this range but it would have to be short (I think)
I prefer 90mm handles, could do 85 but 90 is perfect for me. Anything longer I find simply too long.
Like you I haven't found heavier handles to give a more efficient shave, rather it adds to the aggressiveness and causes harshness. Also not comfortable to hold for the 25-30 mins I spend shaving.

Given all of this I found the UFO TiTan Fine L to be the perfect match for the BBS-1 SS head (15mm x 90mm x 64g)
The original SS BBS-1 handle at 94 grams was just too much. Gave me a rough shave and caused redness and irritation. As soon as I switched the handle, the shaves changed 180 degrees! Amazing!

Also the BBS-1 Ti handle works very well (14mm x 89mm x 51g)

I've also found the Wolfman SS handles to be a bit too heavy, WRH-3 (84g)
WRH-7 at 72 grams is very good but I prefer uniform handles.

Most of the SS heads I've used are around 30-35 grams and so to achieve this total setup weight of 90-100 grams I really would have to use a Ti handle... btw Wolfman Ti handles are all beautiful and pair VERY well with all razors

18 788
 03-22-2017, 05:44 AM
User Info
Dunno.  I like all kinds of handles if they look nice and feel good in the hand.  I have a very heavy stainless steel variant of the UFO Kaiser that I quite enjoy.  On the other hand, I also have a UFO Titan Fine L that I just love.  

If forced to choose, I guess I would keep the titanium handle over the very heavy steel handle, so maybe I lean toward somewhat lighter handles?  But not enough to stop me from using and enjoying the heavy handles, too.

2 1,557
 03-22-2017, 05:45 AM
User Info
Matt, I seem to be all over the place as I don't have a desired weight.
I have a few Stork Titanium handles that are superb and quite light, but I also really enjoy the Blackbird 101 handle which is quite heavy and I still have a few UFO ones that weigh a fair amount.

As long as my shaves are great, I don't mind the weight of the handle. Shy

83 21,115
 03-22-2017, 05:53 AM
User Info
I've never bothered to weigh any of my razor handles but I'll add length as a factor- I prefer medium length (< 3-1/2") handles, especially in SS.  This seems to be the sweet spot between enough heft to feel substantial and too much heft and length to be unwielding.

73 4,338
 03-22-2017, 06:05 AM
User Info
I recently made my own aluminum handle to go with a Maggard's slant head.  The whole set-up is extremely light - and shaves better than any DE I own.  BTW - my plan is to anodize the handle a red color.

[Image: aw6tKLM.jpg]

[Image: tPLEUEo.jpg]

4 475
 03-22-2017, 06:35 AM
User Info
I prefer lighter handles, really like the short BB handle but my favorite is the Wolfman WRH1

2 465
 03-22-2017, 06:41 AM
User Info
My most versatile handle is the Gillette common bar. I like its shape, hand feel, size and weight. On some razors (mostly heavier heads) I like to use longer, heavier SS handles. Anything heavier than 90g for a handle is too much for me.

8 1,210
 03-22-2017, 06:50 AM
User Info
I have lots of handles. My preference is for balance. So depending on the razor head I'm using I will mix and match until it feels right to me.

I like a heavier and longer handle usually. I suppose it's a hold over from years of using cartridge razors where the handle is very long.

I don't care for the extremes. Very short or thin nor very long or fat. 

I do like titanium handles when using a large setup. The Jurgen Hempel handle for the King Cobra is a good example. If a handle that size was stainless or brass it wouldn't feel right I think.

10 1,460
 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Thanks guys, keep it coming, I appreciate all the insights!

Also - Can someone start to list the handles made of Titanium and other light metals?

62 3,014
 03-22-2017, 06:32 PM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I don't care about weight as much as I do length. I like 80mm or shorter.

3 587