03-22-2017, 10:16 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
  • Somewhere far-away, from Home
User Info
I am looking for any recommendations for these.  I have been using Soap Smooth, but, the softness of the soaps leads to it taking forever to lather.  I know, that is part of the enjoyment, but, this hurts my injured shoulder, it gets tired in the time it takes to make a good lather with that particular soap.  Blooming helps, a bit, but, still.  Plus, I prefer hard soaps anyway. 

The kind that comes in a disc, not a jar.  

Thank you, everyone.

1 589
 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM
User Info
Mama Bear's unscented soap

If you want something that lathers with little effort, then creams are right up your alley. Several factory creams like TOBS and Proraso are vegan.

0 21
 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM
User Info
Meißner Tremonia Pots of Milk  is excellent.

8 1,685
 03-22-2017, 02:43 PM
User Info
I know you are looking for a puck, but Los Angeles Shaving Soap Company has an unscented vegan soap. Their soaps are excellent performers and easy to lather.

0 648
 03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
User Info
With all due respect, if you are having an issue with softer soaps such as Soap Smooth, wouldn't harder pucks irritate your shoulder more?
I would imagine that an unscented cream, such as Kiss My Face, would facilitate things for you.  Shy

83 21,081
 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM
User Info
I've never personally tried it but maybe AOS unscented? It's vegan and hard.

84 1,505
 03-22-2017, 08:48 PM
User Info
I believe it will depend on the reason why you use unscented soap. 
If you prefer mild scents but don't have sensitive skin, MT might be a good option. If you have sensitive skin and are allergic like me, then MT's so called "sensitive" might not be for you (that is my case). 
If you have sensitive skin but are OK with lanolin, then Route 66 has a good soap, hard but not rock hard, and comes in a jar. 
I agree with Celestino in that a cream or a paste might be an option to explore. Like he said, Kiss My Face has a good product.  
The best options would be unscented Nuavia or sensitive cream/paste from Mystic Water, but non of those don't exist (yet). 
Good luck.

8 1,129
 03-23-2017, 04:22 AM
User Info
(03-22-2017, 03:08 PM)celestino Wrote: With all due respect, if you are having an issue with softer soaps such as Soap Smooth, wouldn't harder pucks irritate your shoulder more?
I would imagine that an unscented cream, such as Kiss My Face, would facilitate things for you.  Shy

This makes a lot of sense. I would think an unscented cream would be ideal to reduce loading time. AoS creams are wonderful, also Nivea Sensitive in white tube is very mild and a great performer.
If you want to spoil yourself MDC unscented would be a nice choice. It's also a hard soap if that's what you are looking for however it lathers almost instantly with VERY LITTLE effort. I haven't used it personally but I've used the original and fougere scents. They both lather in literally a matter of a few seconds and provide an awesome lather. Many people say that even the unscented MDC has a light scent to it so be ware!

13 775
 03-23-2017, 10:03 AM
User Info
XPEC and Stirling Little Brudder synthetic lathers in 1 second.

36 893
 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-22-2017, 03:08 PM)celestino Wrote: With all due respect, if you are having an issue with softer soaps such as Soap Smooth, wouldn't harder pucks irritate your shoulder more?

Well, I would think so, too, but, we would both be mistaken.  The Soap Smooth soaps need to have you build the lather directly on the soap, which tires my shoulder after a while.  With a hard disc of soap, you only load it into the brush, then use the mug, exclusively, to build the lather.  This makes it easier.  

I am looking for a bright white, unscented, vegan shaving soap, in the form of a disc.

1 589
 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-22-2017, 11:36 AM)Demidog Wrote: Mama Bear's unscented soap

If you want something that lathers with little effort, then creams are right up your alley. Several factory creams like TOBS and Proraso are vegan.

(03-22-2017, 12:57 PM)lu20vt Wrote: Meißner Tremonia Pots of Milk  is excellent.

Thank you, both.  

I will look into these.

1 589
 03-23-2017, 11:48 AM
User Info
(03-23-2017, 11:30 AM)Quando Wrote:

Well, I would think so, too, but, we would both be mistaken.  The Soap Smooth soaps need to have you build the lather directly on the soap, which tires my shoulder after a while.  With a hard disc of soap, you only load it into the brush, then use the mug, exclusively, to build the lather.  This makes it easier.  

I am looking for a bright white, unscented, vegan shaving soap, in the form of a disc.

Again, with all due respect, I have tried Soap Smooth and it isn't any different than most other artisanal soaps being offered, at the moment. Many of them offer a semi-soft consistency in their soap and you can easily load enough soap onto your brush, as you would with a tripled-milled, or hard soap/puck, and, then face or bowl lather. Actually, you can regulate how much soap you want on your brush depending on how long you load the soap. There is no need to build the lather directly on the soap if you do not wish to. After 30-90 seconds, your brush should have picked up enough soap to perform 2-5 passes depending on your preference.   Shy
You can see this for yourself if you go to Youtube as there are a few gentlemen with videos illustrating how to use this soap.
Good luck.

83 21,081
 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM
User Info
Do yourself a favor and acquire a small sample of MDC unscented.. you'll not be disappointed

13 775
 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM
  • Quando
  • Banned
User Info
(03-22-2017, 11:36 AM)Demidog Wrote: Mama Bear's unscented soap

(03-22-2017, 08:48 PM)lloydrm Wrote: I believe it will depend on the reason why you use unscented soap. 
If you prefer mild scents but don't have sensitive skin, MT might be a good option. If you have sensitive skin and are allergic like me, then MT's so called "sensitive" might not be for you (that is my case). 
If you have sensitive skin but are OK with lanolin, then Route 66 has a good soap, hard but not rock hard, and comes in a jar. 
I agree with Celestino in that a cream or a paste might be an option to explore. Like he said, Kiss My Face has a good product.  
The best options would be unscented Nuavia or sensitive cream/paste from Mystic Water, but non of those don't exist (yet). 
Good luck.

I need unscented due to allergies to fragrances.

1 589
 03-23-2017, 06:41 PM
User Info
Savonierre du Moulin unscented cannot be beat.

160 1,038
 03-23-2017, 08:33 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Wholly Kaw vegan version is absolutely nothing less than brilliant.

88 7,214
 03-23-2017, 09:27 PM
  • Devilanche
  • Singapore (CONUS post address)
User Info
(03-23-2017, 06:41 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Savonierre du Moulin unscented cannot be beat.

+1

10 376
 03-24-2017, 03:38 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-23-2017, 11:48 AM)celestino Wrote:
(03-23-2017, 11:30 AM)Quando Wrote:

Again, with all due respect, I have tried Soap Smooth and it isn't any different than most other artisanal soaps being offered, at the moment. Many of them offer a semi-soft consistency in their soap and you can easily load enough soap onto your brush, as you would with a tripled-milled, or hard soap/puck, and, then face or bowl lather. Actually, you can regulate how much soap you want on your brush depending on how long you load the soap. There is no need to build the lather directly on the soap if you do not wish to. After 30-90 seconds, your brush should have picked up enough soap to perform 2-5 passes depending on your preference.   Shy
You can see this for yourself if you go to Youtube as there are a few gentlemen with videos illustrating how to use this soap.
Good luck.

Celestino is , once again, quite correct. And if i may add, it should be much easier to build the lather in a bowl rather than a mug. More room. The more you can move the brush the easier and faster you should be able to lather. As far as soft soap vs hard, the advantage of hard soap is longevity. Ease of lathering is normally one selling point of softer varieties.

7 2,328
 03-24-2017, 05:52 AM
User Info
(03-23-2017, 06:41 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: Savonierre du Moulin unscented cannot be beat.

Unfortunately, this isn't a vegan soap, but would be a good candidate for the OP to try since it is a veggie soap and it has a very hard consistency.  Shy

83 21,081
 03-24-2017, 07:05 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Long story short: there are not many soaps that are HARD-MILLED and VEGAN and UNSCENTED.
I believe the only ones (which are already mentioned) are:
AOS current formula
Meissner Tremonia Pots of Milk (and Puristic Style, not yet mentioned)
Mama Bear (not sure how hard that is though)

59 2,826