03-23-2017, 05:51 PM
User Info
noobie here seeking wisdom and experience please!

Recently realized I kind of like a bit of prickly in my brush along with some scrub.  So I'm looking hard at a Simpson Eagle G2 in Pure but wondering if it has enough backbone.  It doesn't need to be as tough as my boar (Semogue 610) but not interested in floppy or moppy.  I face lather with soap exclusively.  Specs are either 20 or 21 depending on who's measuring and 45 loft.  

Any experience with Simpson pure is appreciated.  Take Care.

1 108
 03-23-2017, 06:24 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've an Eagle G3 in Pure (24x47mm), so close to the G2 .. it is in a large rotation, and when it comes up I will face lather it with a hard soap, just because that seems what it was designed for.  It has beaucoups backbone, probably the most of all my badgers.  I enjoy using it, it does give you a proper exfoliation.  I can't imagine the slightly smaller version would be any different, and the Pure grade hair is relatively economical.

45 490
 03-23-2017, 06:29 PM
User Info
It sounds as if you need a Shavemac D-01 2-Band knot set at a lower loft. Fantastic backbone; scritch and softness once broken in. 
However, these knots are quite expensive compared to the Simpsons Pure. You could also try a horse hair brush. 
Good luck with your decision.

83 21,110
 03-23-2017, 06:37 PM
User Info
The G3 and the G2 ought to have the same character.  One site has knot/loft that pencil out at the same ratio.  Others vary.  Does it have some prickly to it?  Thanks!

Got that right. A shavemac D01 2 band is definitely in the plan.  At least based on all my reading so far it would be the alpha and the omega for my desires... 

But as a noobie I feel I need to get some fundamentals under my belt, er... on my face as it were before I make that leap.   Like knot/loft ratio and 'what is backbone anyway?' type stuff.  Some of this I can pick up reading but when it comes down to it I'm gonna have to blow my allowance to find out if I'm on or off base.  I don't mind having a couple inexpensive good brushes in the rotation.  But I can't sell the idea to the boss I blew it on the high dollar brush so I need another one.  Wait... hmmm....   maybe I could get away with that once!

1 108
 03-23-2017, 06:46 PM
User Info
Definitely don't need to worry about not enough backbone. The tips have a bit of the prickle, very slightly mind you, and the scrub you are talking about. I have a fan shaped Eagle 3 in Pure. A bit of an oddity, but I love it exactly for that as prior Simpson pures I had I sold due to the bulb shaped knot. I like Celestino's horsehair suggestion. I have an Epsilon brown horsehair with just the type of feel you are talking about, but not overly harsh. If you wanted the ultimate example of slight prickle, soft tips, and scrub, again Celestino's 2-band D01 is hard to beat. Especially in a bulb. I have one that is so close to too pointy that I've almost parted with it. I feel with Shavemac's 2-band D01 the fan shape is an excellent knot shape, and absolutely adore this configuration in a plain jane ivory imitation 163 style handle.

25 692
 03-23-2017, 07:09 PM
User Info
Thank you.  Good to know the backbone will be there in Simpsons Pure.  

Is there another model of Simpson I should be looking at for Pure trials?  A different version would be fine if it proved more suitable or indicative of Simpsons line.  But I like the Eagle handle...

Regarding the shavemac D01 2 band.  What knot would be comparable to a 21/22mm pure?  Since I've read they tend not to splay should I go bigger?

1 108
 03-23-2017, 11:15 PM
User Info
Going the route that you talk about of having a couple of inexpensive, good brushes in the rotation is a good approach for sure. If you wanted to try some Simpson Pure at a cheaper price, the Case, Berkeley, and Special could all be had for under 50 dollars. I have tried some other pure grades, and from my own experiences, I would only point you towards Simpson pure or Shavemac pure. They are the only two I've experienced that I felt was worth it. I'm a bit of a brush snob in that I prefer the name brands, but I keep my nose to the ground for the next 'new' thing. I like how another forum I frequent puts it, the flavor of the month. lol

From my experiences and preferences, a D01 2-band in the same knot size would be just fine. You mention the splay, and I can confirm that my first 2-band D01 is a knot shape that does not splay much. Coupled with that it is a bit pointy, it almost left the den. Getting a fan shaped D01 knot opened my eyes to just how great it can be, and I personally feel it is the best knot shape for that type of hair. Shavemac 2-band D01 is so thick for each hair individually and packed so well that a fan shape is preferable to me, but I can see people buying the bulb version too. I wouldn't request any lower than what Bernd would recommend. I typically use his knot configuration on his site to get an idea without asking. I personally would be fine with a D01 2-band fan shaped knot at 52mm at 22mm, but going to 48mm would be as low as I would go.

Edit: I forgot to mention that if you are good with buying used equipment, I would highly recommend that. Brushes and razors easily clean up, and you can expand a limited budget into some wonderful items that you might have never considered before as the initial cost was too high. I'm always looking in the BST forums! Wink

25 692
 03-24-2017, 12:16 AM
User Info
Joe:

Thank you.  This is an interesting adventure.  I've been whipping up lather nearly every day for 45 years on a Williams puck with a department store brush until fall of 2015 when I put the Wilkinson Trac 2 in the travel bag and went back to a DE.  Cheap easy to find 50's era Tech and a fancy (to me) Semogue Boar.  The fascination has just gotten worse lately.

I don't mind used gear in serviceable shape at all.  Will keep my eyes open for an Eagle or the ones you mentioned as well.  Appreciate it.  I'm kind of excited about this!

1 108
 03-24-2017, 02:36 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
You might consider a shavemac Finest badger knot.  It's a mix of pure badger and silvertip badger.  I think it is very good value in terms of quality, performance and price.  The beauty of buying shavemac is that through the Configurator you can customise your brush in terms of knot hair, size and shape, and handle style and colour.

7 934
 03-24-2017, 05:49 AM
  • Steve56
  • Knoxville, TN
User Info
+1 for the Shavemac Finest, may want to set the knot a couple mm lower than the configurator suggests.

Take a look at shoebox shave shop, they're having a good sale on Simpsons, Eagle 3 for $65, Duke 3 at $76 seems sold out now.

Cheers, Steve

7 540
 03-24-2017, 10:55 AM
User Info
Does or can the shavemac Finest have some prickle?  Will a short loft let the Pure speak in a Finest knot?

1 108
 03-24-2017, 12:08 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(03-24-2017, 10:55 AM)old school Wrote: Does or can the shavemac Finest have some prickle?  Will a short loft let the Pure speak in a Finest knot?

My shavemac Beehive Finest doesn't have any prickle.  I don't know if a shorter loft would let the Pure show through more; my Beehive came with the "standard" knot size, ie 23X50.  I'd suggest that you e-mail Bernd, the proprietor of shavemac, and ask him.

7 934
 03-24-2017, 03:51 PM
User Info
Finest is a good grade, but the ones I have, although a combination of silvertip and pure, doesn't exhibit for me the qualities that you want Old School. E-mailing Bernd could be an excellent idea. He's a master at his craft, and telling him what you are looking for, Bernd would point you towards what he felt was best.

25 692
 03-24-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
I agree and I've read he's really helpful.  I'll get a one or two more brushes in my frame of reference and then give him a shout.

1 108
 03-24-2017, 03:56 PM
User Info
+1 Simpson's Case in Pure

36 909
 03-26-2017, 08:30 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I have a Simpson Somerset-era Duke2 with a pure badger knot.  I used it this morning and it does have a prickly feel to it, but not so much as to make it uncomfortable for me.

7 934
 03-26-2017, 02:21 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 08:30 AM)Rufus Wrote: I have a Simpson Somerset-era Duke2 with a pure badger knot.  I used it this morning and it does have a prickly feel to it, but not so much as to make it uncomfortable for me.

Somerset era pure was nice stuff. In fact, I've had several pures from well in the past that would be what I would consider best if I were buying a new brush today. A few here and there weren't so good, but the pure of yesteryear was definitely good. There's good pure being made today too, though!

25 692
 03-26-2017, 04:29 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
Larry at Whipped Dog can help you. Excellent value and customer service.

48 684
 03-26-2017, 04:30 PM
User Info
(03-26-2017, 04:29 PM)srgjazz Wrote: Larry at Whipped Dog can help you. Excellent value and customer service.

+1

25 692
 03-26-2017, 08:05 PM
User Info
I'm a badger guy but from what you're looking for in terms of feel, check out the brown horse hair knots from Vie Long. Stay away from the one with the loft that hits the ceiling. I didn't not like the long break in period and scratchy, or as you mention, prickle, that it had on my face.

One more tip, if you do get a Shavemac, say a D01, be it 2 or 3 band, just be patient and give it a lot of time and lathers to change, develop, and settle in. It will not be the brush you want to judge right out of the box and probably still won't hit it's stride even after 20 lathers. But Bernd makes a really nice brush and knows what he is doing. Give him an email and he will be of great help.

81 1,368