03-23-2017, 10:13 PM
User Info
Ok, an odd couple I know.   But the question is about after the shave.

Both soaps leave my face feeling neutral, clean, sweet, after a shave.  Just right I would describe.  I have oily skin, splash on some Sea Breeze for Sensitive Skin as an after shave and let it go at that.  And the face feels great, clean and perfectly comfortable.  I'm staring down 60yrs. and got no wrinkles but a few crows feet and a few veins in my ruddy complexion due to sunburn and frostbite working in the woods for the majority of my life.  

Each of the handful of other brand soaps I've tried are so dog gone greasy after the shave I grab the plain Dial hand soap and scrub and scrub in an attempt to remove the bearing grease left suffocating my face.  It takes days to recover from a single shave.  I can not tolerate any soap that is considered "moisturising".  For my skin that means, 'smear axle grease on your face and suffer'.  

Gentlemen, are there any other soaps that are along the lines of my beloved Williams or MdC that you can suggest I try?  

If you consider a shaving soap drying it's probably perfect for my face!

Appreciate any pointers.

1 95
 03-24-2017, 02:43 AM
User Info
I am not certain I can feel the exact difference since my skin oil level is fairly neutral. Though from the soaps I have tried Arko seems to more drying. It's cheap enough to try.

What about other inexpensive shave soap/sticks such as Derby or Palmolive? Most of these mass-produced soaps have no added fats and no added glycerin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 44
 03-24-2017, 04:02 AM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
(03-24-2017, 02:43 AM)olpski Wrote: I am not certain I can feel the exact difference since my skin oil level is fairly neutral.  Though from the soaps I have tried Arko seems to more drying.  It's cheap enough to try.

What about other inexpensive shave soap/sticks such as Derby or Palmolive?  Most of these mass-produced soaps have no added fats and no added glycerin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 20
 03-24-2017, 04:04 AM
  • Smudge
  • Hertfordshire UK
User Info
Have you ever tried using an alum block? I only use mine if i have a bad shave, but i find that it has a very drying effect on my skin.

0 20
 03-24-2017, 05:26 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
Meissner Tremonia soap let my face super dry but only tried one scent, Woody Almond.
Also, L'Occitane Cade soap seems to dry a lot of people out.
Both of these scents are juniper/cedar based so there is probably something about that/those ingredient(s).
You might like Proraso green.
You might like other products with MENTHOL too, which seems to dry me out quite a bit (unfortunately)

59 2,802
 03-24-2017, 05:27 AM
  • Nero
  • Ban Groupthink from Earth
  • le montagne
User Info
La Toja stick... and anything with salts/alum will make me dry. As stated above, alum is very drying (to me too).

59 2,802
 03-24-2017, 09:56 AM
User Info
Thank you I will hunt some of this down to try.  Appreciate it.

1 95
 03-24-2017, 10:20 AM
User Info
I also have oily skin and do not apply any balms or moisturizers to my face after shaving.  I think the alum suggestion is a good one.  You may also want to consider an aftershave splash with a higher alcohol content.

50 6,050
 03-24-2017, 12:28 PM
User Info
MDC should be tops for you , I can't think of another soap that is as drying. I enjoy the soap very much but I do use a moisturizer after the shave.

60 1,507
 03-24-2017, 03:22 PM
User Info
Didn't think of getting a more drying after shave.  I'll look around for something interesting.  The alum block is intriguing too.

1 95
 03-24-2017, 08:22 PM
User Info
Maybe it's just me but Barrister & Mann leave my face feeling dry.

0 25
 03-25-2017, 08:01 PM
User Info
Will check that out.  Thanks.

1 95
 03-25-2017, 09:26 PM
User Info
La Toja would be something you could try or as stated above, an alum block.

79 1,338