03-23-2017, 11:36 PM
User Info
Home roasting, even pan roasting out on the grill, is like garden fresh tomatoes.  No contest.     

Just did a search here and only 3 threads on home roasting.  Is it time for another?

I've been roasting for at least a dozen years with pop corn poppers.  Before that in a pan on the grill.   I know, but the air poppers haven't burned up yet!  So I keep using them.

1 144
 03-24-2017, 06:53 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
If you are still satisfied with low yields and possibly burnt coffee stay where you are. If not it may be time to move up a bit. To make an analogy to this site. store bought coffee = canned foam and a cart razor. Popper coffee better = to boar brush and Arko stick and parker razor with a Rockwell blade. After that the sky is the limit. 

77 1,144
 03-24-2017, 10:43 AM
User Info
Thanks Barrylu:

Watched a documentary decade(s) ago about coffee in Jamaica.  The best cup the 'explorer' had on his adventure was roasted a few days earlier in what looked like a 55 gallon barrel lid pounded into the shape of a wok.  I secretly hoped it was an unfixable off tune head for a pan, ie steel drum the maker traded to the women for a kilo of coffee.  The women demonstrated her technique over an open fire for the cameras.  

Thanks for your response.  I get the various ways to roast, profiles, etc, there's plenty out there to study!  Even thought about PIDing my air poppers at one time. But that feels like putting a $500 saddle on a $50 horse.  For whatever reason haven't pulled the trigger.  When the air poppers burn up I'll be ready for the next level.  Until then the $7 invested in my garage sale finds still have work to do.

I don't think entry cost should be a barrier to learning to roast, as is shouldn't be to wet shaving.  Even the first level of either is better than what pop culture and commercials offer.

BTW I shave with a Gillette Tech, Astra blades and Williams soap,  that's funny!

1 144
 03-24-2017, 12:06 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Welcome roasting coffee and shaving have given me many hours of pleasure. I also enjoy poker and making stained glass.
[Image: Lmwz4yM.jpg][Image: aimWwrq.jpg][Image: QUjHPOr.jpg]

77 1,144
 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM
User Info
(03-24-2017, 12:06 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Welcome roasting coffee and shaving have given me many hours of pleasure. I also enjoy poker and making stained glass.

Fantastic work on the stained glass! The lamp is beautiful!

I enjoy roasting coffee, very fun and gratifying but my humble roaster dictates it to be an outdoor endeavor only and Upstate, NY winters make it a 'seasonal' hobby for me.

4 1,037
 03-24-2017, 12:59 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(03-24-2017, 12:32 PM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 12:06 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Welcome roasting coffee and shaving have given me many hours of pleasure. I also enjoy poker and making stained glass.

Fantastic work on the stained glass! The lamp is beautiful!

I enjoy roasting coffee, very fun and gratifying but my humble roaster dictates it to be an outdoor endeavor only and Upstate, NY winters make it a 'seasonal' hobby for me.
Thanks for indoor roasting year round I suggest.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/behmor-1600-plus
The lamp plans came from a book. The diver I copied from a Hawaiian post card. The diver is essentially mine from conception and is the final piece I made before an old back injury made me call it quits .

77 1,144
 03-24-2017, 01:01 PM
User Info
Popcorn popper roaster here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 338
 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM
User Info
I started home roasting about 8 years ago when I retired. Started with a Gene Cafe then moved to a Behmor when the GC heater crapped out. Normally I roast a couple of batches a week for ourselves, more if I'm also roasting for family and friends. When you're preparing for retirement, I would urge you to stay active and find some things you enjoy. For me, not only do I enjoy home roasting, but I also enjoy some pretty damn good coffee each morning.

4 46
 03-24-2017, 01:14 PM
User Info
i used to home roast... then keane coffee opened and i got lazy

0 119
 03-24-2017, 03:09 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
This is my current roaster. It is a Quest M5 I use a Behmor as my back up roaster. I also collect Zassenhaus grinders.
[Image: PLLUVet.jpg][Image: GQ9VATv.jpg]

77 1,144
 03-25-2017, 06:51 AM
User Info
(03-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Barrylu Wrote: This is my current roaster. It is a Quest M5 I use a Behmor as my back up roaster. I also collect Zassenhaus grinders.

Nice roaster! Must be a pleasure to use. I use a Hottop, albeit modified although I do have a three barrel Probat sample roaster that still sees occasional use.

Love your Zass collection!   Smile

4 1,037
 03-25-2017, 08:48 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(03-25-2017, 06:51 AM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Barrylu Wrote: This is my current roaster. It is a Quest M5 I use a Behmor as my back up roaster. I also collect Zassenhaus grinders.

Nice roaster! Must be a pleasure to use. I use a Hottop, albeit modified although I do have a three barrel Probat sample roaster that still sees occasional use.

Love your Zass collection!   Smile

I had a Hottop before the Quest. I loved my Hottop. I used it so long and hard that I finally actually used it up. It would have cost more to fix it up than the cost of a new one. That is when I moved up to the Quest. I would kill for a Probat . How come you do not use it? Pictures please. Electric or propane?

77 1,144
 03-25-2017, 10:48 AM
User Info
The Hottop is very capable of producing a nice roast for sure. My Probat is a gas fired (propane) unit. I don't use it very often since I no longer have a dedicated roasting area. It's heavy to move around and a pain to set up, clean and put away. So when I feel the itch to roast for my own personal use, busting out the Hottop is a much more enjoyable endeavor.

4 1,037
 01-15-2018, 11:08 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I am interested in possibly buying an Aillio Roaster. Does anyone have any experience with this roaster?
[Image: 6ABp2OH.jpg]

77 1,144
 01-15-2018, 12:07 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
(01-15-2018, 11:08 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I am interested in possibly buying an Aillio Roaster. Does anyone have any experience with this roaster?
[Image: 6ABp2OH.jpg]

I don't have any experience with this roaster.  I am also highly interested buying this roaster.  

They have a closed Facebook group that I'm a member of.  Some of what I've read (keep in mind I have zero direct experience with this roaster), it seems like this is better for a home roaster who isn't looking to sell beans.  If you are roasting beans for friends it should be fine.  It's when you go into full scale production that cleaning starts to become a problem.

10 1,696
 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I have a Quest M3 and I really like it but a 1K roaster is really appealing. I guess if I could get a good price for my roaster and a poker win I just might do it

77 1,144
 01-15-2018, 01:05 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I'm on my second Behmor 1600 and I have been home roasting for almost 6 years.  Yes, a 1k roaster is something that I'm really interested in.  I like that fact that you can log roasts with the Aillio and run other peoples roast profile as well.  It's very tempting!

10 1,696
 01-18-2018, 08:00 AM
User Info
I have a question about ambient winter temperatures for home roasting.

After many years of thinking about it and looking into it, I've finally decided to give home roasting a try.  I have a Behmor 1600+ on the way.

I have a great space in my garage that will be perfect and require no extension cord.  I live in a warm climate, but it does get down into the 50'sF in the garage during winter.

So my question:  At what ambient temperature is it too cold effectively to roast with a Behmor-type roaster?  Is there a point at which it's not too cold but at which one has to compensate for the cool ambient temp by adjusting the roast settings/time?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

11 237
 01-18-2018, 08:44 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
A Behmor has a smoke suppressor built-in. If it gets too cold to roast in the garage it is easy to move the unit inside to roast. To answer your question, however, up to 50F you should be Ok. I have my neighbor home roasting with a Behmor here in Portland OR. When the temperature falls below %0 he simply roasts with the Behmor inside a 3 sided box in his garage. 
I have a Quest M3 and must roast in the garage (no smoke suppressor). I wrapped the roaster in fireproof insulation and can roast even when the ambient temps are in the 30s. Also, the insulation allows me to roast more quantity. I roast 300 gr loads easily.
[Image: 8tlgYkx.jpg]

77 1,144
 01-18-2018, 07:10 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
I've roasted in the 40's with my Behmor without any problems.  Preheating for a minute to 90 seconds really helps when it's cold. 

With the new models you can extend the roast time indefinitely by pressing the C button.  While this isn't ideal, you can roast beans when it's cold.

The behmor does have smoke supression technology.   I've roasted in the house under an exhaust fan, it works but it's not ideal.  Your house will smell like for a day.

10 1,696