03-23-2017, 11:36 PM
User Info
Home roasting, even pan roasting out on the grill, is like garden fresh tomatoes.  No contest.     

Just did a search here and only 3 threads on home roasting.  Is it time for another?

I've been roasting for at least a dozen years with pop corn poppers.  Before that in a pan on the grill.   I know, but the air poppers haven't burned up yet!  So I keep using them.

1 96
 03-24-2017, 06:53 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
If you are still satisfied with low yields and possibly burnt coffee stay where you are. If not it may be time to move up a bit. To make an analogy to this site. store bought coffee = canned foam and a cart razor. Popper coffee better = to boar brush and Arko stick and parker razor with a Rockwell blade. After that the sky is the limit. 

68 1,068
 03-24-2017, 10:43 AM
User Info
Thanks Barrylu:

Watched a documentary decade(s) ago about coffee in Jamaica.  The best cup the 'explorer' had on his adventure was roasted a few days earlier in what looked like a 55 gallon barrel lid pounded into the shape of a wok.  I secretly hoped it was an unfixable off tune head for a pan, ie steel drum the maker traded to the women for a kilo of coffee.  The women demonstrated her technique over an open fire for the cameras.  

Thanks for your response.  I get the various ways to roast, profiles, etc, there's plenty out there to study!  Even thought about PIDing my air poppers at one time. But that feels like putting a $500 saddle on a $50 horse.  For whatever reason haven't pulled the trigger.  When the air poppers burn up I'll be ready for the next level.  Until then the $7 invested in my garage sale finds still have work to do.

I don't think entry cost should be a barrier to learning to roast, as is shouldn't be to wet shaving.  Even the first level of either is better than what pop culture and commercials offer.

BTW I shave with a Gillette Tech, Astra blades and Williams soap,  that's funny!

1 96
 03-24-2017, 12:06 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
Welcome roasting coffee and shaving have given me many hours of pleasure. I also enjoy poker and making stained glass.
[Image: Lmwz4yM.jpg][Image: aimWwrq.jpg][Image: QUjHPOr.jpg]

68 1,068
 03-24-2017, 12:32 PM
User Info
(03-24-2017, 12:06 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Welcome roasting coffee and shaving have given me many hours of pleasure. I also enjoy poker and making stained glass.

Fantastic work on the stained glass! The lamp is beautiful!

I enjoy roasting coffee, very fun and gratifying but my humble roaster dictates it to be an outdoor endeavor only and Upstate, NY winters make it a 'seasonal' hobby for me.

4 924
 03-24-2017, 12:59 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(03-24-2017, 12:32 PM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 12:06 PM)Barrylu Wrote: Welcome roasting coffee and shaving have given me many hours of pleasure. I also enjoy poker and making stained glass.

Fantastic work on the stained glass! The lamp is beautiful!

I enjoy roasting coffee, very fun and gratifying but my humble roaster dictates it to be an outdoor endeavor only and Upstate, NY winters make it a 'seasonal' hobby for me.
Thanks for indoor roasting year round I suggest.
https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/behmor-1600-plus
The lamp plans came from a book. The diver I copied from a Hawaiian post card. The diver is essentially mine from conception and is the final piece I made before an old back injury made me call it quits .

68 1,068
 03-24-2017, 01:01 PM
User Info
Popcorn popper roaster here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 214
 03-24-2017, 01:02 PM
User Info
I started home roasting about 8 years ago when I retired. Started with a Gene Cafe then moved to a Behmor when the GC heater crapped out. Normally I roast a couple of batches a week for ourselves, more if I'm also roasting for family and friends. When you're preparing for retirement, I would urge you to stay active and find some things you enjoy. For me, not only do I enjoy home roasting, but I also enjoy some pretty damn good coffee each morning.

3 40
 03-24-2017, 01:14 PM
User Info
i used to home roast... then keane coffee opened and i got lazy

0 101
 03-24-2017, 03:09 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
This is my current roaster. It is a Quest M5 I use a Behmor as my back up roaster. I also collect Zassenhaus grinders.
[Image: PLLUVet.jpg][Image: GQ9VATv.jpg]

68 1,068
 03-25-2017, 06:51 AM
User Info
(03-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Barrylu Wrote: This is my current roaster. It is a Quest M5 I use a Behmor as my back up roaster. I also collect Zassenhaus grinders.

Nice roaster! Must be a pleasure to use. I use a Hottop, albeit modified although I do have a three barrel Probat sample roaster that still sees occasional use.

Love your Zass collection!   Smile

4 924
 03-25-2017, 08:48 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(03-25-2017, 06:51 AM)ColdRiverSoap Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 03:09 PM)Barrylu Wrote: This is my current roaster. It is a Quest M5 I use a Behmor as my back up roaster. I also collect Zassenhaus grinders.

Nice roaster! Must be a pleasure to use. I use a Hottop, albeit modified although I do have a three barrel Probat sample roaster that still sees occasional use.

Love your Zass collection!   Smile

I had a Hottop before the Quest. I loved my Hottop. I used it so long and hard that I finally actually used it up. It would have cost more to fix it up than the cost of a new one. That is when I moved up to the Quest. I would kill for a Probat . How come you do not use it? Pictures please. Electric or propane?

68 1,068
 03-25-2017, 10:48 AM
User Info
The Hottop is very capable of producing a nice roast for sure. My Probat is a gas fired (propane) unit. I don't use it very often since I no longer have a dedicated roasting area. It's heavy to move around and a pain to set up, clean and put away. So when I feel the itch to roast for my own personal use, busting out the Hottop is a much more enjoyable endeavor.

4 924