01-24-2018, 05:07 AM
User Info
is there really any money savings in home roasting?  these machines seem to cost a lot of money...  I understand with shaving.  it saves money in the long run.  How would one formulate a good northern italian style espresso blend?

0 185
 01-24-2018, 07:54 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
[quote='asiliski' pid='851723' dateline='1516799269']
is there really any money savings in home roasting?  these machines seem to cost a lot of money...  I understand with shaving.  it saves money in the long run.  How would one formulate a good northern italian style espresso blend?
Shaving is a good comparison to home roasting. If shaving with canned foam and using a cartridge razor pleases you. Then why change? On the other hand, if you want coffee which has subtleties and flavor changes as the cup cools, then you might want to home roast. Store bought specialty roasted coffee can fetch upwards of $15 a pound. The green beans that yielded that specialty coffee can be purchased for between 5 and 8 a pound. If instant coffee pleases you stay with the instant.
As to the second question, it can take a lifetime for you to learn the answer. Anyone can turn coffee beans brown. The art of roasting takes a lifetime to learn. That's one of the things that makes roasting coffee a delight.

72 1,107
 01-25-2018, 07:12 PM
User Info
(01-24-2018, 05:07 AM)asiliski Wrote: is there really any money savings in home roasting?  these machines seem to cost a lot of money...  I understand with shaving.  it saves money in the long run.  How would one formulate a good northern italian style espresso blend?
What Barrylu said...

You do not need a dedicated machine to roast beans.  A skillet and a wood spoon on your backyard grill will teach you plenty about roasting with no cost but a few beans.  Buy a pound from Sweet Maria's, check out the library while you're there.  Pay attention while you burn a batch or two and you'll be on your way to better coffee every morning and decide if it's worth the effort.  

The dedicated machines let you program profiles to match a particular bean, repeat it faithfully and manage smoke and/or chaff and stop the roast for you.  Pretty cool.  But you can roast good coffee without.   

I have a low cost investment in air poppers and see no need to move up until they crash.  When these give up I'll build a drum roaster run by the Dewalt cordless and it's back to where it all started, the grill.  Not fancy, just good coffee and good fun.

1 122