03-24-2017, 01:28 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
Well as some of you might be aware, I've been searching high and low for an Anodized Wolfman Ti with no luck--surprise surprise.  Well a member on another shave forum suggested I have my current Wolfman Ti Anodized by a third party---turns out there's a gent on Instagram who's been anodizing knives and hand guns for quite some time and he was all for trying his hand on my Wolfman......after several PM's back and forth we decided on a color scheme---I really wasn't interested in a solid color.....have to say....I couldn't be more pleased...btw...even my wife thinks it looks cool which is saying something  Rolleyes

[Image: 6xPZDwC.jpg]
[Image: N988E6l.jpg]
[Image: sqSf2Et.jpg]

128 561
 03-24-2017, 01:51 PM
User Info
I like the color scheme.  Glad to see it worked out well.  I don't know if I would have taken the chance and let anyone touch a Wolfman.

50 6,099
 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM
User Info
Wow, fantastic!

16 651
 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM
User Info
Very interesting, Don!

3 303
 03-24-2017, 01:55 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(03-24-2017, 01:51 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: I like the color scheme.  Glad to see it worked out well.  I don't know if I would have taken the chance and let anyone touch a Wolfman.

Ricardo....I'm not going to lie....I WAS VERY NERVOUS....but as they say...go big or go home  Shy

128 561
 03-24-2017, 02:07 PM
User Info
Very nice ! Curious, have you shaved with the same model in both stainless and in Ti ? Is it safe to assume that the lighter weight would be a less aggressive shave. Not saying the SS would necessarily be aggressive, but just assuming the Ti would be less so, whatever that is.

7 235
 03-24-2017, 02:15 PM
User Info
Very cool Don, hope you are enjoying it.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

2 107
 03-24-2017, 02:40 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(03-24-2017, 02:07 PM)JimmyH Wrote: Very nice ! Curious, have you shaved with the same model in both stainless and in Ti ? Is it safe to assume that the lighter weight would be a less aggressive shave. Not saying the SS would necessarily be aggressive, but just assuming the Ti would be less so, whatever that is.

Jimmy....yes, I have and I'm probably in the minority but I do not find any of the Wolfman razors to be aggressive (I own SB, OC and DC with a .86 gap, .74 gap and standard gap)...the main difference (for me) between the SS and Ti is not aggressiveness but weight and I for one enjoy the lighter weight. I've said this in other threads....I can take any razor and make it more or less aggressive by switching out blades.....Astra SP provides a milder shave while a Feather blade a more aggressive.....I recently switched from Voskhod blades which were my daily driver to Iridium Supers and the latter (for me) provide the best and most efficient "one pass and done" shave.

128 561
 03-24-2017, 05:16 PM
User Info
(03-24-2017, 02:40 PM)DJL813 Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 02:07 PM)JimmyH Wrote: Very nice ! Curious, have you shaved with the same model in both stainless and in Ti ? Is it safe to assume that the lighter weight would be a less aggressive shave. Not saying the SS would necessarily be aggressive, but just assuming the Ti would be less so, whatever that is.

Jimmy....yes, I have and I'm probably in the minority but I do not find any of the Wolfman razors to be aggressive (I own SB, OC and DC with a .86 gap, .74 gap and standard gap)...the main difference (for me) between the SS and Ti is not aggressiveness but weight and I for one enjoy the lighter weight. I've said this in other threads....I can take any razor and make it more or less aggressive by switching out blades.....Astra SP provides a milder shave while a Feather blade a more aggressive.....I recently switched from Voskhod blades which were my daily driver to Iridium Supers and the latter (for me) provide the best and most efficient "one pass and done" shave.

Thank you for the comparison. I have SS Wolfman in SB, OC, and DC. All the medium .61 gap. All great shavers. The reason I ask as to the weight is because of something I only just discovered. As I'm sure you know Gillette made a blue tip superspeed, a black tip IIRC, and a red tip. The three colors signifying mild, medium, and aggressive. When I used to collect Gillette DEs I made it my business to get the red tip, but avoided the blue and the black. 

Just recently found out that the three of them have the exact same head, and the only difference is the weight. I read that on the Internet, so it must be true ..... Tongue  ..... anyway, that quite surprised me, because the weight was what made one more, or less, aggressive than the other. With James's razors I guess it is a different ball game. I used to want the .74 but I'm quite content with the .61.

Wrong info in bolded text. Read it on the internet and thanks to @kingfisher I find that it ain't true ..... http://shavenook.com/showthread.php?tid=...#pid790426

7 235
 03-24-2017, 05:22 PM
User Info
Don, just beautiful. 

I have to admit that I waited so long to get my Ti Wolfman, that I don't think I could have taken the risk you did.

Boy, did it turn out nicely!

And Jimmy, I agree with Don on the 'efficiency' of the Wolfmen-I don't find any of them harsh, but there is definitely more 'blade feel' on the OC .74 than on the standard .61. 

My Ti is a .74 OC, and although I can feel the blade, it's an extremely comfortable shave. The only difference between this and my .74 OC Stainless is the weight. Face feel and efficiency almost identical.

23 635
 03-24-2017, 05:35 PM
  • DJL813
  • Darien, CT
User Info
(03-24-2017, 05:22 PM)Michael P Wrote: Don, just beautiful. 

I have to admit that I waited so long to get my Ti Wolfman, that I don't think I could have taken the risk you did.

Boy, did it turn out nicely!

And Jimmy, I agree with Don on the 'efficiency' of the Wolfmen-I don't find any of them harsh, but there is definitely more 'blade feel' on the OC .74 than on the standard .61. 

My Ti is a .74 OC, and although I can feel the blade, it's an extremely comfortable shave. The only difference between this and my .74 OC Stainless is the weight. Face feel and efficiency almost identical.

Michael....thanks for your kind words and I totally agree with your accessment....you can definitely "feel more blade" between the various gaps but don't find any to be aggressive/harsh.

128 561
 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM
User Info
That's wild! Very cool!!!

=)

7 326
 03-24-2017, 08:43 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Don! The razor looks spectacular! It is going to look stunning in your SOTD pics!  Thumbsup

83 21,077
 03-24-2017, 09:38 PM
User Info
Congratulations - beautiful Thumbsup

7 904
 03-24-2017, 09:43 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
That is wild, makes me think of Marti Gras! Congrats on a bold razor! Smile

48 976
 03-25-2017, 08:21 AM
User Info
Great choice Don, enjoy!

9 155
 03-25-2017, 09:58 AM
User Info
What a beauty! Best thing about it, it's a one off making it the only one of its kind. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 207
 03-25-2017, 11:33 AM
User Info
Did you say you meant to put this in the BST thread? I'll take it!

10 165
 03-25-2017, 02:07 PM
User Info
that is just stunning... beautiful razor .. if it is for sale shout out...  Biggrin enjoy that incredible razor..wish I had some Wolfman ti

2 315
 03-25-2017, 04:31 PM
User Info
(03-24-2017, 05:16 PM)JimmyH Wrote:
(03-24-2017, 02:40 PM)DJL813 Wrote:

Thank you for the comparison. I have SS Wolfman in SB, OC, and DC. All the medium .61 gap. All great shavers. The reason I ask as to the weight is because of something I only just discovered. As I'm sure you know Gillette made a blue tip superspeed, a black tip IIRC, and a red tip. The three colors signifying mild, medium, and aggressive. When I used to collect Gillette DEs I made it my business to get the red tip, but avoided the blue and the black. 

Just recently found out that the three of them have the exact same head, and the only difference is the weight. I read that on the Internet, so it must be true ..... Tongue  ..... anyway, that quite surprised me, because the weight was what made one more, or less, aggressive than the other. With James's razors I guess it is a different ball game. I used to want the .74 but I'm quite content with the .61.

Not true. Blue tip gap is 0.58; Red tip gap is 0.73.

2 1,461