03-27-2017, 10:01 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
(03-27-2017, 05:50 AM)w_mcnabb Wrote: These sound tempting...  Could you post a shot from the top of the knots with the CH2 Manchurian next to it to get an idea of the difference in density?

Maseto on the left. Chubby on the right.

[Image: M0IgIdp.jpg]

37 1,861
 03-27-2017, 10:48 AM
User Info
Thanks for accommodating with the pic I've got one en route now as it appears to be dense enough to satisfy my tastes.

83 423
 03-27-2017, 12:24 PM
User Info
Hi wreck fish, I could have been a little clearer: The brush in the photo was the one I got last year, and the listing was for an LS 30mm brush, with no specification as to the knot shape. It's a hybrid.

The one I ordered today was branded Maseto and was advertised as a 30mm fan shape. Hoping for one that looks like the ones German and Mr Smartepants pictured, i.e., more of a fan shape.

And German, I agree with you-the LS brush I have definitely looks and performs like a hybrid. I'll post some comparisons with the Chubby 3 later.

23 633
 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM
User Info
Here's the LS I have pictured between two of my Simpson Chubby 3s. Bear in mind that I got the LS (now MS/Maseto) last year, so they could have changed the knot style. To my eye, they all look like hybrid-shaped knots, although the LS looks the most bulbous of the three.

[Image: rAkRkNM.jpg][Image: jgQX2BM.jpg]

23 633
 03-27-2017, 12:53 PM
User Info
(03-27-2017, 08:30 AM)Michael P Wrote: German, I used the LS 30mm this morning, and it performed very well. I'm not sure it's the same brush you have, looks to be more of a hybrid, Simpson Chubby style. I ordered the 'Maseto' branded brush today which is advertised as more of a fan shape which I prefer. Your bloomed Maseto looks very fan like.

[Image: rcJAnJq.jpg]

Great looking shave!

8 192
 03-27-2017, 01:02 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info @German and @Michael P

I appreciate it!

17 1,413
 03-29-2017, 02:45 PM
  • Manning
  • Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
User Info
Here is mine that just arrived today pre-palm lather. I don't have much to add except to say it's basically exactly like Germans from his description, which I guess says something good about the consistency. I will say I am very happy with the density and quality of the handle which was my main complaint in my prior FS Brush. I agree also with Germans assessment if this particular hair. I will be interested to see how it transforms after some uses if at all.

Mine also came with this weird thing in the third picture that I honestly can't figure out what it is.

[Image: 495049077a578b3094173cf0c1a2f9d4.jpg][Image: ed41ad97e866cd8ca14675b69d12032c.jpg][Image: 32e69274a733887e99b55ba3257cce32.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 142
 03-29-2017, 02:46 PM
User Info
It's a keychain.

It is weird.

Biggrin

9 1,407
 03-29-2017, 03:35 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
@Manning
Looks great! Any reddish/brownish hair shafts visible in the knot?

37 1,861
 03-29-2017, 03:52 PM
  • Manning
User Info
(03-29-2017, 03:35 PM)German Wrote: @Manning
Looks great! Any reddish/brownish hair shafts visible in the knot?

Not in the shaft at the base but there is definitely a reddish tint between the bottom dark band and the top (presumably treated) white tips that I have not observed in any other brush.

I agree with your assessment about the feel as silky on the tips of the hair. It's not gel like, but it's definitely not scratchy.

13 142
 03-29-2017, 06:14 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
 03-30-2017, 05:42 AM
User Info
This thread finally made me cave, just ordered a fan.

0 57
 03-30-2017, 06:03 AM
User Info
Threads like this make this hobby worthwhile. Do I want to buy and drive a Maserati/Ferrari...etc... or buy and drive 14 Chevy Impalas in a seemingly endless series? Many preferences...some guys like Arko some guys like XPEC.

36 892
 03-30-2017, 06:38 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
(03-30-2017, 06:03 AM)jackgoldman123 Wrote: Threads like this make this hobby worthwhile. Do I want to buy and drive a Maserati/Ferrari...etc... or buy and drive 14 Chevy Impalas in a seemingly endless series? Many preferences...some guys like Arko some guys like XPEC.

Signs011

37 1,861
 03-30-2017, 07:22 AM
User Info
I used mine this morning for the first time.

It's really nice. Like, I have to admit, I can't really think of anything that I would complain about with it.

It feels much denser than it looks. 
It does feel smaller than its size. This might change a bit as it loosens up with use but I can't imagine that it would change drastically. 

I got the regular one which I suppose is the more bulb shaped knot. It does have a glue bump but it's small and unobtrusive. If anything it adds to the moderate backbone.

The knot in mine is very well formed. Even and consistent throughout. The tips are exceedingly white and quite soft when wet. Clearly treated in my opinion but not so much that they are brittle or overly damaged. I do see a couple thin red sections running from the handle to the white tips. It's subtle and I suppose I only noticed because I looked for it.

The handle really is perfectly fine. Finished well and about the same girth as a Chubby 3 held bottom to bottom. It's slightly taller and perhaps slightly lighter weight. I didn't weigh them though. Might be imagining it?

I don't have an urge to get a second one. I am impressed with it. A huge value for the money. 

It's not a Manchurian kind of face feel. More like a two band silvertip that is generously stuffed. No scratchiness at all. It's not so dense that it takes forever to rinse either though. 

I am going to try and get some more shaves on it to see how it breaks in. Easier said than done when I am prone to impulsive shave decisions in the morning. Many times I have laid out one setup to pick up a different one completely the next day.

For a large knot, mine is near 32mm at the handle, it really did feel perfectly manageable. I was apprehensive as my only other brush of comparative size is unruly and mop-like. Not the case at all here.

9 1,407
 03-30-2017, 07:57 AM
User Info
...I ordered mine so I could get the keychain...

Smile

17 1,413
 03-30-2017, 07:58 AM
User Info
(03-30-2017, 07:22 AM)bakerbarber Wrote: I used mine this morning for the first time.

It's really nice. Like, I have to admit, I can't really think of anything that I would complain about with it.

It feels much denser than it looks. 
It does feel smaller than its size. This might change a bit as it loosens up with use but I can't imagine that it would change drastically. 

I got the regular one which I suppose is the more bulb shaped knot. It does have a glue bump but it's small and unobtrusive. If anything it adds to the moderate backbone.

The knot in mine is very well formed. Even and consistent throughout. The tips are exceedingly white and quite soft when wet. Clearly treated in my opinion but not so much that they are brittle or overly damaged. I do see a couple thin red sections running from the handle to the white tips. It's subtle and I suppose I only noticed because I looked for it.

The handle really is perfectly fine. Finished well and about the same girth as a Chubby 3 held bottom to bottom. It's slightly taller and perhaps slightly lighter weight. I didn't weigh them though. Might be imagining it?

I don't have an urge to get a second one. I am impressed with it. A huge value for the money. 

It's not a Manchurian kind of face feel. More like a two band silvertip that is generously stuffed. No scratchiness at all. It's not so dense that it takes forever to rinse either though. 

I am going to try and get some more shaves on it to see how it breaks in. Easier said than done when I am prone to impulsive shave decisions in the morning. Many times I have laid out one setup to pick up a different one completely the next day.

For a large knot, mine is near 32mm at the handle, it really did feel perfectly manageable. I was apprehensive as my only other brush of comparative size is unruly and mop-like. Not the case at all here.

Thanks for the review.  Looking forward to mine.  It'll be the biggest brush I own and I am a little worried that it will feel like a wall of badger.  Based on these descriptions, I think I'll be fine!

17 1,413
 03-30-2017, 08:22 AM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Todd. 

I wanted to dislike this brush, as I had it in my head that there was no way it could be good as brushes I paid 6 times as much for. A brush for 'experimenting'. But after using it, I enjoy it very much.

Like you, I find it very manageable and a good performer. I agree with your observation that it has a little more give than the typical high-end Manchurian, but that's not a bad thing at all. That may be why it releases the lather well.

23 633
 03-30-2017, 04:22 PM
  • Manning
User Info
I had my first shave with the brush this morning and largely agree with the statemts above.

For me the brush is very large and an bit of a novelty, but that's a personal thing. I typically prefer brushes in The 22-26 range. Sweet spot is about 24-25mm knots. But with that said this brush felt smaller than it is. Not a ton of splay which is very nice. No complaints about the handle which is large but easy to use like a Chubby 3.

The hair is a bit unusual. It's definitely not manchurian like in that it is much denser and much more flex in the hairs. Nor is it like Paladin Select. I would say the closest I have tried is M&f blonde in hair and density. As a comparison to Simpson I would describe it as a very densely packed 2 band Simpson brush with no hooked tips, yet somehow very silky tips. In this sense the Maseto hair feels a bit unnatural and treated.

A plus is that despite the fact that the knot is very dense it releases lather well and did not take a ton of soap to load, especially for a brush of this density and size. That was very nice and a bit unique in a brush this dense and this size.

As German said, it would not replace my other high end M&F, paladin, and Simpson brushes. Frankly I prefer all of those to this brush. The hair on those feels less treated and more natural but at the same time I have no complaints about the Maseto. It is different and unlike any other brush I own in terms of size and hair and at $50 is an absolute steal. I will likely look for a second in my 25mm fan sweet spot.

13 142
 03-31-2017, 04:25 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
@Manning
Thanks for posting your observations. I agree with all of them.

The treatment of badger hair from harvesting the pelt to using in a badger brush is somewhat of a "black box". So far, no manufacture (or artisan) has shed a lot of light on this as far as I am aware.

My preference would be that besides the necessary sterilization badger hair is left as natural as possible, i.e. no bleaching, no conditioning, no weird powder residue that I have found a few times when unpacking a brush.

I always thought that Plisson and Simpson come closest to this ideal, but I have no proof whatsoever (more appearance driven).

Another reason, besides the obvious chemical warfare, is that the treatment allows to a certain extent to make "inferior" hair usable. 

I always find it funny when people are hailing "gel, curled tips" as a quality attribute; curled tips are DAMAGED tips, through either treatment of physical abuse. The finer the original hair the more they are prone to curl with exposure to too much heat or pressure.

So, we will never know, how all these knots from China are treated (look at all the artisan knots that suddenly are everywhere).

You may choose to ignore that and just indulge in the "cheap" supply of badger knots.

For me there always remains a bit of discomfort of not knowing what exactly I put on my face (you can say  the same for for skin care products of course).

37 1,861